Steering wheel wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel wobble

I have a 1993 Honda Accord EX wagon with 110k miles. Have absolutely no problems with it other then the steering wheel wobbles left-right anywheres between 15-45 or so mph, I am desperately trying to find out what the problem is as it doesn't seem to always do it and it appears to go away above 50mph or maybe it's less noticeable. It happens with both sets of wheels that I have for the car and has been happening since I bought it last March but it seems to have maybe gotten worse. I've inspected everything in the front end and see no play, bent wheels or any problems with the tires. My Lincoln was recently totaled by hitting a deer on the highway and this car has to be my daily driver again and safe to travel about 60-100 miles a day so please anyone who's experienced any similar problems with their car any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like it could be an alignment problem, specifically toe spec. You get a rough check of your toe spec with a tape measure if you are really thorough.

Comment

This has me a bit stumped, since you've already checked most things I'd suggest. Maybe take a look at your brakes to start with. one of your calipers might be dragging or a rotor's a bit warped.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I’ve had issues like this before when my half shaft and cv shaft were worn.

I would swap wheels tires around to confirm without a doubt by that there isn’t something wrong with a tire. Sometimes they are “balanced” but you’ll have irregular wear over time causing this or a belt can also go bad and it makes it hard to diagnose

If you pull the wheels off the front end and roll them you can usually see them struggle to stay flat if there’s an issue. Wheel bearings can cause these issues too. Especially at these speeds. Often times hard to diagnose. How fast does the car slow down in nuetral?

99% of the time the wobble goes away with tires replaced from my experience. Even if they look ok. Tires are finicky
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

This also sounds like worn inner tie rods. They are difficult to inspect but cause vibration that varies by speed.
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Thank you everyone for all of your replies.

I have two sets of Honda Accord EX wheels both with fairly new tires within the past year or so and the wobble happens with all four wheels on each set no matter where their placed, that's why I'm thinking it's not a tire-wheel related issue

The car glides freely down the road when put into neutral because when I was trying to diagnose it I took it out of gear and coasted to a stop to see if the wobble persisted and it did.

I was thinking it could be a inner tie rod but theres really no play in the tie rods as far as I can tell as of right now my suspicion is on the axles even though their probably originals and the boots aren't torn or anything.

Comment

I've had this. It's inner axle boot wear. Probably happens more going up hill or when axles are under load. This is also a known issue with 1st gen Acura TSX cars.

"inner CV going bad will cause the shaking when accelerating, but the outer CV joint going bad will cause the clicking when turning tightly"

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-...rating-781497/

Cheers!

Comment

Raf even though mine does it all times even when I'm not accelerating do you think it could still be the problem? If so where do you recommend the best axles could be purchased at?

Comment

Loose joint/bad bushing in upper control arms can cause this too.
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

So I took it to my usual shop for inspection and the only thing they found was some irregular wear on the drivers side tire, I had them do a rotation and balance and the issue persists.

Comment

Irregular wear can be an indicator of an alignment issue. The alignment issue could be caused by worn suspension or bad alignment specs.

Can you describe or take a pic of the unusual wear. It can be possible to get an idea of whats wrong from the tire wear.

Comment

True I think it's definitely going to point us in the right direction, I apologize I meant to say it's inner tire wear. I will try to see if I can get a picture of it today.

Comment

And I had the same issue as you; spent months and months troubleshooting, no shop could figure it out. But you are confusing me i think...

You said it only happens between a certain speed. But you also just said it happens all the time. Which one is it?

Comment

I apologize Raf when I said all times I was referring to it just happening on acceleration for most people when it comes to the inner axle being bad, on my wagon when it does happen it's all times when accelerating, decelerating and coasting in neutral. There's been a lot of rain the past few days so if I get time later today before work I'm going to recheck everything I can.

I have a 1993 cb7 I can take parts off of if need be because before I parked it I put two new upper controls arms on it, most likely I'm going to swap them over to my wagon on my weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                              I apologize Raf when I said all times I was referring to it just happening on acceleration for most people when it comes to the inner axle being bad, on my wagon when it does happen it's all times when accelerating, decelerating and coasting in neutral. There's been a lot of rain the past few days so if I get time later today before work I'm going to recheck everything I can.

I have a 1993 cb7 I can take parts off of if need be because before I parked it I put two new upper controls arms on it, most likely I'm going to swap them over to my wagon on my weekend.
                              Ya ok. Not the axle but something. Jack er' up and start moving shit around with a pry bar. You'll find it. It should be obvious too.

Comment

Working...
                              X