Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

f22a6 w/f22b dohc head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

220whp is a little unrealisitic on this build. you'd probably be making about the same power as a relatively stock H22A but spending a ton more.

Comment

The F22B head is about 3ccs larger chamber than the F22A. If everything is left stock on the headswap the F22A's 8.8:1 drops to 8.4:1 with similar cams. If you think about it the H23A1 is virtually the same thing as the F22B. It's got another point of compression and 100ccs more displacement and they typically dyno less than 150whp in I/H/E trim. With less compression and less displacement you'll be hard pressed to make as much or more power even with cams.

With 2.3 liter displacement, high compression, ported head, bigger cams and high-end free-flowing exhaust 210whp is possible but at what cost? For a similar investment you can make a lot more power with a VTEC head. Also with large cams on nonVTEC platforms you start sacrificing driveability.

Dollar for dollar VTEC will yeild more power once you start investing in all the expensive components.
      VTEC G27? = ???whp ???wtq
      VTEC G23 = 220whp 191wtq
      nonVTEC G23 = 200whp 183wtq
      K24 iVTEC hybrid = 260whp 210wtq

Comment

Originally posted by PirateMcFred View Post
        The F22B head is about 3ccs larger chamber than the F22A. If everything is left stock on the headswap the F22A's 8.8:1 drops to 8.4:1 with similar cams. If you think about it the H23A1 is virtually the same thing as the F22B. It's got another point of compression and 100ccs more displacement and they typically dyno less than 150whp in I/H/E trim. With less compression and less displacement you'll be hard pressed to make as much or more power even with cams.

With 2.3 liter displacement, high compression, ported head, bigger cams and high-end free-flowing exhaust 210whp is possible but at what cost? For a similar investment you can make a lot more power with a VTEC head. Also with large cams on nonVTEC platforms you start sacrificing driveability.

Dollar for dollar VTEC will yeild more power once you start investing in all the expensive components.
        Ok so the f22b head swap is out. So im pretty much left with the h23 frankenstein or h22 swap. I figured these would be my final choices but it doesn't hurt to try lol. I know the h22 is the better choice in terms of reliability but the h23 frank would make more power easier right? So what are some pros and cons on the h23 frankenstein? How reliable is it really? And would I save any money going this route?

Comment

if you want to hit 220 with out a bunch of problems......boost.

and it cheaper

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed View Post
            if you want to hit 220 with out a bunch of problems......boost.

and it cheaper
            As in problems do you mean it'll be more reliable to have a 220whp turbo f22 than a 220whp n/a h23 frank or h22? Because from what I know n/a is more reliable especially with an h22 all it takes is a set of bolt-ons, cams, and a good tune to get @least 200whp+
            Last edited by TuneAccordingly; 05-14-2010, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TuneAccordingly View Post
              As in problems do you mean it'll be more reliable to have a 220whp turbo f22 than a 220whp n/a h23 frank or h22? Because from what I know n/a is more reliable especially with an h22 all it takes is a set of bolt-ons, cams, and a good tune to get @least 200whp+
              trying to push a N/A f block to 220.

and you'll only get to 220 hp with a stock H block and some bolts on's is if it's a JDM type-R (or is it a type-S).

Comment

u would have to do a lot of work
                cams
                valves / springs
                I/H/E
                high comp pistons
                etc

but 200+ on a f block isnt impossible. bisi biult a f22a1 to 350 hp for the top shop challenge. it was the slowest engine but the only na one and the most reliable one too

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
                And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
                Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed View Post
                  trying to push a N/A f block to 220.

and you'll only get to 220 hp with a stock H block and some bolts on's is if it's a JDM type-R (or is it a type-S).
                  I didnt say stock h22, i said cams with bolt-ons and a decent tune will get you 200+whp. This would be alot more reliable than a stock f22 with a dsm setup from what i know. N/A is always the most reliable route when it comes to honda engines. But my question is how reliable would a h23 frankenstein be? I hear its more reliable than an ls or b20/vtec. What parts would I need to accomplish this build?

Comment

A turbo setup at only 200hp not reliable? i disagree, I've NEVER seen or heard of anyone blowing a stock Honda engine at only 200hp (ghetto setups with no tune don't count)

There is nothing wrong with a nice N/A setup, but the reliability is good either way.

Comment

Originally posted by rexload View Post
                      A turbo setup at only 200hp not reliable? i disagree, I've NEVER seen or heard of anyone blowing a stock Honda engine at only 200hp (ghetto setups with no tune don't count)

There is nothing wrong with a nice N/A setup, but the reliability is good either way.

Ok cool but what I'm saying is if i went boost im going to be aiming for 300-400whp @least but only about 220-250whp n/a but I guess I just stuck trying to decide the choice in terms of reliabilty and funds. For example:

Turbo setup:

Block:f22a
                      -h22 forged rods
                      -wiseco 85mm evo stroker psitons

Head:f22a
                      -delta 272 cam
                      -obx cam gear
                      -supertech valve springs, retainers
                      -valves???
                      -street aggressive pnp

ebay fmic
                      obx wastegate
                      obx blow-off valve
                      obx turbo header
                      obx downpipe
                      aem fpr
                      aem fuel rail
                      walbro fuel pump
                      dsm/rc 440/560cc injectors
                      megan racing drift spec 2.5in exhaust
                      h23 tb and im

Ecu: apexi vafc or hondata s200

How reliable will I be with this setup? Keep in mind this is a daily driver lol as daily as it gets. I drive my car every single day. I'll be driving this at about 220-250whp daily but 300-400whp when I need it.

N/A Setup:

Block:H22a
                      -type s pistons or mahle 12.5 pistons (if i can find them)
                      -h22 forged rods

Head:H22a
                      -stage 2/3 skunk2/crower cams
                      -skunk2/aem/obx cam gear
                      -ferrea valves
                      -supertech valve springs,retainers
                      -street aggressive pnp

smsp tri-y header
                      skunk2/euro r manifold
                      aem cold air intake
                      megan 2.5in drift spec exhaust
                      walbro fuel pump
                      aem fpr
                      Last edited by TuneAccordingly; 05-15-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

... a major setback with the f22 is the single cam ...
                        please explain...I don't see how dohc alone raises hp.

Now I know the h22a and other DOHC engines have higher compression than their SOHC variants...that is the actual main setback and reason why they have higher power...in addition to other things like stroke, intake design, exhaust design...but compression alone is a major factor.
                        ____

Comment

this is a invalid statement lodollar and many others have proved that their set up can last just as long if not longer then n/a hell my last motor before i took it out ran for 2-3 years and i only took it out because i am building the f22b and need to prep the engine bay for paint.
                          ~Nick~
                          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                            this is a invalid statement lodollar and many others have proved that their set up can last just as long if not longer then n/a hell my last motor before i took it out ran for 2-3 years and i only took it out because i am building the f22b and need to prep the engine bay for paint.
                            all comes down to the knowledge/experience of the tuner AND builder
                            ____

Comment

doesnt lodollar drive his daily and its 500+???

what doesnt the h22 and f22a bottom end get seen more? id love to have an accord at 250hp and 230-40tq for a daily.... thats tons of redlight and interstate fun....
                              Members Ride sold...
                              I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

Ok guys thanks for all youre imput I've pretty much decided to boost the f22 I'll probably just boost on the stock block for now with a 220-250whp goal and later rebuild the block. With that setup listed above without the built block could I reach my goal on 7-8psi?

Comment

Working...
                                X