Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Magnaflow muffler without catalytic concerter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnaflow muffler without catalytic concerter

I was planning on getting a magnaflow cat back with a Catalytic converter but my car is already not street legal and will be too much to get it legal in California. Now I'm debating on keeping it straight piped with the magnaflow but am wondering if even having the magnaflow cat back but no cat will still be very rattle canny, or if the diffusers in the muffler will get plugged up or damages the muffler quicker. I want it loud but not rattle can, and for the muffler to live long what should I do

Get a cat, even if its not California legal. I believe you can get a 48 state universal Magnaflow for under $100. Definitely worth running it. Will help the exhaust sound nice, and the car won't stink like crazy and be a gross polluter. Something is better than nothing. I had a Magnaflow catback, and even with a stock cat it was PLENTY loud.

Comment

it shouldnt sound bad. my cg5 with the f23a1 had stock header, stock down pipe, 2.5 inch test pipe (no cat) stock piping all the way to an nrg muffler with 2.5 inch piping from the resonator. its sounded really nice actually, nice deep tones. so im assuming magnaflow would sound better.

Comment

As everyone else said get a catalytic converter, preferably a high flow variety. They do wonders for getting rid of that tinny sound as you describe it and if you get your car inspected it's one less thing you'll need to fix. You also aren't losing any power worth mention if you have a good high flow cat.

I'm curious, why your car is already not street legal?

Comment

Since your car is not street legal, is it a track-only car? Or do you just drive illegally?

As said, get a cat. Catalytic converters exist for more reasons than simply complying with the law. It's very true that you don't lose much power as a result of using one, and your car will sound better, smell better, and emit fewer environment-killing toxins. Not to mention the fact that the laws can always get stricter... so the more you break, the more reason you give lawgivers to crack down even harder on us. Living in California, you certainly know how difficult the law makes it to pursue our passion for modifying cars. Don't give anyone any more reason to make it harder!
          Running without a cat only makes sense on a heavily modified track-only vehicle that must extract every last horsepower from the engine. However, the kind of build that would bring about such a situation would be worth more than half a dozen absolutely pristine CB7s.

Comment

Well my mistake the things registered and legal but only in Oregon where I used to live. The exhaust system and even the air intake isn't even CARB compliant

Comment

The exhaust on my CB recently came apart at the flex pipe so a buddy and I welded on a new flex and ran it straight back with a down turn dumping right before the rear tire. Stock resonator is still in place.

There's an awesome loud raspy tone from 2500-3000 and if it shifts in that range it makes a funny sound, barks like a diesel truck. Open it up a bit and close the throttle fully and every now and then she'll give you a nice backfire, wonder if she spits flames? Its really tame in the city if you granny it but on the highway its quite droning cause you're right above that raspy rpm range. Real neat sounding at idle too.

I have a thrush muffler I want to fab up in there but the car has other more important needs to address.

Comment

Update

I installed the new cat back, and it's sounds aweseome, not as deep as I thought nor loud which is good. Sounds like a true 4 banger. Not tiny, not raspy, nice deep hum, I recommend it

Comment

Originally posted by JTL_91CB7 View Post
                  I installed the new cat back, and it's sounds aweseome, not as deep as I thought nor loud which is good. Sounds like a true 4 banger. Not tiny, not raspy, nice deep hum, I recommend it
                  I'm running a custom MagnaFlow Cat-Back exhaust system with 2.25" piping and a 18 or 24" resonator (I can't remember). The exhaust shop that did the Custom Piping and Muffler install cut the back of the cat off and welded the exhaust piping to it. The guy said that it would increase air flow just a little and wouldn't ruin the integrity of the cat. I'm also running a DNA header and SRI. I know the header is cheap but I didn't have money at the time. I'm going to replace it soon. I haven't had one person say my car sounds ricey or doesn't sound good. I love the exhaust tone and the way it looks. I went with a 2.5" angle cut beveled tip painted cast and heat treated. After a few thousand miles the exhaust tone will change and get a little louder but still sounds amazing. You should post a video of what yours sounds like.

Comment

Working...
                  X