INT: OEM style amber light conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
    What do you mean the CD6 column lights? There is no CD6 column in my car anywhere...

I kinda meant for my swap haha
    Instead of a light bulb they use like 4 LED's
    Your man for wiring solutions!
    CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
    CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
      I kinda meant for my swap haha
      Instead of a light bulb they use like 4 LED's
      That I don't know. You will have to improvise, although I think they fasten the LED's somehow, so my guess would be that the easiest way would be to solder in some amber ones. Do they by chance use a filter? It would be easiest if you could just remove that.

Other than that, I have no idea. I will have to check out my friends.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

so i took out the three screws (i think) under the steering wheel and it looks like the two pieces around the column should seperate but they wont. i cant get to the bulb behind the key ring. help me. PEACE

MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by LowNknoxville View Post
          so i took out the three screws (i think) under the steering wheel and it looks like the two pieces around the column should seperate but they wont. i cant get to the bulb behind the key ring. help me. PEACE
          It also has plastic lock tabs holding it together. You just have to work with it.

Comment

They are immposible to view unless you know a locksmith or prettymuch destroy the lock
            They are hidden inside the actual lock mechanism
            If you've ever seen the inside of a car stereo faceplate, those micro-leds...thats what they are.
            They burn green and the diffuser is white
            CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

I took the liberty to take some pics while I had the time to add as a supplement to this awesome DIY; this is what the buttons and HVAC controls look like taken apart, so you know where the placement of the tabs on the buttons are:

^^back of buttons on front...those tabs are fairly delicate....as you can see i broke the first of many...thank god for superglue!

^^^Back panel that houses the LEDs

^^inside of the front panel...from the back

^^all of the buttons in front and the light filters...notice how the defrost one is slightly an off blue shade from the rest.

^^^everything taken apart and laid out

^^^here are the bottom buttons....be careful as there are 4 tabs for each of the fresh/recirc. and A/C buttons that go along the tops and bottoms vs just 2 tabs on the ends

^^close up shot of the LEDs

Hope this helps! now I just need to go get those 50 cent translucent Walmart folders.
              Last edited by Losiracer2; 01-12-2009, 05:33 AM.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Bro, the LED's arent what make your lights blue..
                Unless your changing them from green to orange?
                Just grab the Eclipse DSM climate light bulbs and use the orange rubbers out of them.
                Maybe some window tint if they are too bright.
                I settled without the tint, but I might go back and fix it
                CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap

Comment

Originally posted by CB7Man View Post
                  Bro, the LED's arent what make your lights blue..
                  Unless your changing them from green to orange?
                  Just grab the Eclipse DSM climate light bulbs and use the orange rubbers out of them.
                  Maybe some window tint if they are too bright.
                  I settled without the tint, but I might go back and fix it
                  I know, its those blue filters in front of the buttons that make it blue. I need to find some orange ones...either by cutting up a walmart folder or by other means.

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Since I've got a spare climate control unit I've got it apart and I will be replacing the LEDs that are green(?) with amber. I just need to know the specs on the LEDs. It should be easy to do, and as for the twist mount bulbs - I want to change them out with amber LEDs (they do make them) if I can find the right ones.

I know it's not necessary to replace all the LEDs and bulbs with amber LEDs, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best amber saturation.
                    Last edited by mj213; 01-14-2009, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                      Since I've got a spare climate control unit I've got it apart and I will be replacing the LEDs that are green(?) with amber. I just need to know the specs on the LEDs. It should be easy to do, and as for the twist mount bulbs - I want to change them out with amber LEDs (they do make them) if I can find the right ones.

I know it's not necessary to replace all the LEDs and bulbs with amber LEDs, I just want to make sure I'm getting the best amber saturation.
                      If you want everything to be amber then it will work fine. It won't help the saturation on the buttons though. Just unsolder the LED's and take one to radio shack to get the specs.

Comment

for these dials, did you just cut a ring shaped filter outta that orange folder and use a drill bit to get the center the right diameter?

Last edited by Losiracer2; 01-15-2009, 12:52 AM.

member's ride thread
                        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                          for these dials, did you just cut a ring shaped filter outta that orange filter and use a drill bit to get the center the right diameter?

I would just toss the blue rings and just run it as is.
                          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by C91BLX7 View Post
                            I would just toss the blue rings and just run it as is.
                            yeah i guess...but then the knobs will just be a bright white won't they? might as well do it in amber....make it match right?

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

yeah i guess...but then the knobs will just be a bright white won't they? might as well do it in amber....make it match right?
                              no they will already look amber-ish, its a nice contrast to have the knobs different.
                              wat?

Comment

for these dials, did you just cut a ring shaped filter outta that orange folder and use a drill bit to get the center the right diameter?

No, my system was needlessly complex and overly elaborate LOL! If I had it to do over again, I would do pretty much what you suggested though.

Comment

Working...
                                X