No announcement yet.

What I do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and i would lose all sphincter tone at the one minute mark. Pretty cool.

Comment

Really cool job you have there!

Comment

Cool video! That's awesome..

She seemed really relaxed and cool under pressure, so to speak

Comment

The real question here;

Are you a member of the mile high club?
          Originally posted by wed3k
          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

A new one I made.

This one is about 6.5 minutes and is a general collection of my footage. I have to see if I can get one of the jet...
            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

You guys pull like 3gs or so in a loop? And what kind of airspeed do you see throughout the loop?

Do you do cloverleaves?

I think everyone learning to fly should do some basic aero, and spins. Definitely helps with the confidence.
              Gary A.K.A. Carter
              [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Cool thread, my father is a private pilot. He fly's Cessna 150's, 152's and 172's. He's not an owner, just a renter.

I spent a lot of time at a small airport in Aurora Missouri. When my father was in the process of obtaining his pilots license in the late 90's I would hitch rides with other pilots as I could not ride with my father. One pilot I rode with frequently had in excess of 3000 hours.

I have flown in many different kinds of aircraft over the years, most from the time my father was in the process of soloing or obtaining his license.

The absolute coolest aircraft I ever got to ride in was a privately owned Spanish CASA C-101 Some older man wanted to show his younger buddy's and none of them would ride with him. He asked me and of course I was ecstatic about it. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I think I was 9 years old at the time.

Others that I can remember flying in are:

Cessna 210
                Cessna 182
                Cessna 310, twin engine
                Beechcraft Bonanza
                Cessna 177 Cardinal
                A V-tail Mooney or Bonanza, I can't remember.
                Piper Cherokee
                Piper Pacer

You have a very cool job owequitit. One of the best jobs a person can have in my opinion. Get paid to do what you love to do and teach others to do it as well. I don't know what it costs now days but back in '98/'99 my father got his pilots license for about $1500 when it was all said and done. Extremely cheap for the amount of freedom and enjoyment one can experience in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                  You guys pull like 3gs or so in a loop? And what kind of airspeed do you see throughout the loop?

Do you do cloverleaves?

I think everyone learning to fly should do some basic aero, and spins. Definitely helps with the confidence.
                  For the loop we target 4-4.5G's.

The loop will typically start at 140 MPH in the Super Decathlon, up to the stall buffet at the top, and then obviously 140 MPH on exit.

Yes, we do Cloverleafs. However, at the altitudes we fly at, they are quite difficult to maintain energy throughout and not to lose altitude. It is one of my favorite maneuvers though. The only thing the airplane isn't able to do are sliding maneuvers with some limits on tumbling too. The limitation there is that the tail isn't reinforced for it.

Sadly, I moved on to jets, so I don't fly it anymore, although I am looking to get back into it and hope to eventually start competing.

I agree about confidence, but the bigger purpose is that it gives them a recognition of what an upset situation or undesirable aircraft state looks like, and more importantly, how to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                    Cool thread, my father is a private pilot. He fly's Cessna 150's, 152's and 172's. He's not an owner, just a renter.

I spent a lot of time at a small airport in Aurora Missouri. When my father was in the process of obtaining his pilots license in the late 90's I would hitch rides with other pilots as I could not ride with my father. One pilot I rode with frequently had in excess of 3000 hours.

I have flown in many different kinds of aircraft over the years, most from the time my father was in the process of soloing or obtaining his license.

The absolute coolest aircraft I ever got to ride in was a privately owned Spanish CASA C-101 Some older man wanted to show his younger buddy's and none of them would ride with him. He asked me and of course I was ecstatic about it. It turned out to be one of the best decisions I ever made. I think I was 9 years old at the time.

Others that I can remember flying in are:

Cessna 210
                    Cessna 182
                    Cessna 310, twin engine
                    Beechcraft Bonanza
                    Cessna 177 Cardinal
                    A V-tail Mooney or Bonanza, I can't remember.
                    Piper Cherokee
                    Piper Pacer

You have a very cool job owequitit. One of the best jobs a person can have in my opinion. Get paid to do what you love to do and teach others to do it as well. I don't know what it costs now days but back in '98/'99 my father got his pilots license for about $1500 when it was all said and done. Extremely cheap for the amount of freedom and enjoyment one can experience in the air.
                    I moved on to jets awhile ago, but will probably pick up teaching on the side after awhile. I definitely want to get back into upset recovery/aerobatics. I got burned out. Lol. Casa's are cool airplanes for sure. Like I told Gary, my ultimate goal is to compete in aerobatics and maybe do airshows eventually, if I can ever figure out a way to pay for it!

The going rate of a private certificate these days is $15,000-$20,000.

Comment

SO cool!!!!

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                      Current cars:
                      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                        SO cool!!!!
                        Thanks Mike! Definitely fun. I would like to do something similar on the jet.
                        Last edited by owequitit; 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                          I moved on to jets awhile ago, but will probably pick up teaching on the side after awhile. I definitely want to get back into upset recovery/aerobatics. I got burned out. Lol. Casa's are cool airplanes for sure. Like I told Gary, my ultimate goal is to compete in aerobatics and maybe do airshows eventually, if I can ever figure out a way to pay for it!

The going rate of a private certificate these days is $15,000-$20,000.
                          That's so awesome man... I really hope you keep at this thread as it's hard to find anyone who does what you do and is willing/able to share it.

Yeah, the CASA C-101 looks kinda like a fighter jet in a way but it's just a trainer. Top speed is about 475mph if I remember correctly.

I was wondering what single engine aircraft you were flying inverted, stalling and such. I have been told loops and such can break the wings off a typical Cessna. I did get to ride in the back seat of a 172 when my father was getting checked out in it. Stalls are ridiculous. I think he had to stall it 5 or so times. The feeling of being weightless or near weightless is awesome.

I should go and get my license as I still know my fathers instructor. I feel I know more than some starting out. Maybe one day.

EDIT... Speaking of stalls I forgot one airplane I rode in quite a few times. A 1946 Ercoupe. If I remember correctly it will stall but not spin... The smallest cockpit I have ever been in as well. It makes a 150 feel like the Hilton. You damn near have to fly on a warm day with two people, so both of you can hang your outside elbows out the windows for the extra room. And the open cockpit is awesome. With the windows down it's like riding in a convertible in the sky.
                          Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-02-2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                            For the loop we target 4-4.5G's.

The loop will typically start at 140 MPH in the Super Decathlon, up to the stall buffet at the top, and then obviously 140 MPH on exit.

Yes, we do Cloverleafs. However, at the altitudes we fly at, they are quite difficult to maintain energy throughout and not to lose altitude. It is one of my favorite maneuvers though. The only thing the airplane isn't able to do are sliding maneuvers with some limits on tumbling too. The limitation there is that the tail isn't reinforced for it.

Sadly, I moved on to jets, so I don't fly it anymore, although I am looking to get back into it and hope to eventually start competing.

I agree about confidence, but the bigger purpose is that it gives them a recognition of what an upset situation or undesirable aircraft state looks like, and more importantly, how to recover.
                            I could not imagine 4.5gs without a G-Suit. But I guess it would be fine with a good strain because with the G-Suit and some tolerance, you don't need additional strain.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                              I could not imagine 4.5gs without a G-Suit. But I guess it would be fine with a good strain because with the G-Suit and some tolerance, you don't need additional strain.
                              Depending on level of practice and decency, I didn't really have to start the L1 maneuver until about 4.5-5G's usually. At that point though, it was a fairly quick onset. Oddly, I didn't usually have too many issues compared to my peers (despite being well above average in height). Usually tall people are the first to go due to the greater distance between the heart and brain, I must have a smaller than average brain! . But yes, at about 5G's I was definitely starting to have to work on it. Did you ever get the privilege of reaching full G-LOC in primary? We always started with a G-maneuver to introduce the upset students to the progression of their physiological symptoms.

The other thing that may have been a factor as well was that we didn't have the performance to maintain that many G's for more than a few seconds, unlike an F-16 or unlimited aerobatic plane that has a lot more power. Especially since we were naturally aspirated and our 180HP Super Decathlon was probably lucky to be making 100HP up there a lot of days! I would typically start maneuvers at about 10,300 which gave us a little over 5,000 feet to play with in case something went horribly wrong.

Damn. Now I am having withdrawals!

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                                That's so awesome man... I really hope you keep at this thread as it's hard to find anyone who does what you do and is willing/able to share it.

Yeah, the CASA C-101 looks kinda like a fighter jet in a way but it's just a trainer. Top speed is about 475mph if I remember correctly.

I was wondering what single engine aircraft you were flying inverted, stalling and such. I have been told loops and such can break the wings off a typical Cessna. I did get to ride in the back seat of a 172 when my father was getting checked out in it. Stalls are ridiculous. I think he had to stall it 5 or so times. The feeling of being weightless or near weightless is awesome.

I should go and get my license as I still know my fathers instructor. I feel I know more than some starting out. Maybe one day.

EDIT... Speaking of stalls I forgot one airplane I rode in quite a few times. A 1946 Ercoupe. If I remember correctly it will stall but not spin... The smallest cockpit I have ever been in as well. It makes a 150 feel like the Hilton. You damn near have to fly on a warm day with two people, so both of you can hang your outside elbows out the windows for the extra room. And the open cockpit is awesome. With the windows down it's like riding in a convertible in the sky.
                                The aircraft we were doing aerobatics in was an American Champion Super Decathlon. Simply fantastic plane. Very simple, very reliable and amazingly easy to fly (fewer bad habits than a 172). It is certified fully aerobatic with stress limits of +6 positive G's and -5 negative G's (compared to +3.8 and -1.52 for a Cessna 172).

Comment

Working...
                                X