No announcement yet.

SUSP : Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, i just got out of the shower and my back is effed up.It took me about 5 hours! Def need to remove the exhaust, and if its welded there is a way to get the rack in without removal of the pipe, but i really dont recommend it at all! I had to cut two lines b/c they were frozen in and stripped! so no PWS but it feels like glass now.

This job is a real PITA!!!!
    90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

ok i had a friend help me do mine do mine cause he has done it before and while i went to autozone to get some p/s fluid he had cut my bracket things(not sure what they r called but its at the end of the rack right b4 the tie rod ends conected to the body) ne way and now i have two big gaps on each side so u can just drop it straight out now....how bad did he mess it up is my question and how can i fix it

it wouldnt let me post an attachment pic idk why but if u dont know what bracket im talking about u can see it in the 4th pic that "arrozburner" posted on here

sorry for not knowing the name of it but some help would be nice

ok i found this pic on another members pics....i outlined the thing i was talking about in blue
      Last edited by accordracer89; 04-20-2009, 02:40 AM. Reason: added a pic
      IM IN LOVE WITH A CAR..IS THAT WRONG?

MY MR THREAD
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=132771

Comment

he took both inner tie rods off?

new rack should come with inner's attached.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by accordracer89 View Post
          ok i had a friend help me do mine do mine cause he has done it before and while i went to autozone to get some p/s fluid he had cut my bracket things(not sure what they r called but its at the end of the rack right b4 the tie rod ends conected to the body) ne way and now i have two big gaps on each side so u can just drop it straight out now....how bad did he mess it up is my question and how can i fix it

it wouldnt let me post an attachment pic idk why but if u dont know what bracket im talking about u can see it in the 4th pic that "arrozburner" posted on here

sorry for not knowing the name of it but some help would be nice

Weres the link to the pics?
          90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

ok i found the pic i was talking about it is 3 posts up

sorry guys
            IM IN LOVE WITH A CAR..IS THAT WRONG?

MY MR THREAD
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=132771

Comment

ok quick question! how do i keep my r & p lubricated if all of my lines from the power steering pump are gone? and would the rack and pinion be good for a while without ps? i been driving my cb7 around for almost 2 years with both boots on the rack busted in half, so any suggestions or hints?

93 accord coupe lxr
              10 fusion se slammed

Comment

Originally posted by fstacrd View Post
                ok quick question! how do i keep my r & p lubricated if all of my lines from the power steering pump are gone? and would the rack and pinion be good for a while without ps? i been driving my cb7 around for almost 2 years with both boots on the rack busted in half, so any suggestions or hints?
                you can run the rack dry but i would suggest taking some JB stick and making plugs for the in/outputs. Th inner tie rod will get dry and avetually fail. The boot keeps the shaft from gettin damaged and dry so its pretty important. As for not PS, its str8 I run no PS but i kept the fluid in the rack and plugged the holes

I copped a used rack for $35 at the J/Y so just keep lookin everyweek for one.My car is alot more stable on the Highway since i replsce the rack.
                90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

bump up an old thread but sorta have a problem i think is the R&P.

1. randomly it will be very hard to turn suddenly. but might do it maybe twice a yr? i thought it was air in the PS line but not so sure now bc of no 2

2. getting more and more play, outer tie rods look good. not much but maybe 1/2" around the wheel either way b4 it reacts

Comment

maybe inner tie rods?

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

I try to do this today. Very Easy and Straight Forward. But i ran into problem where it won't come out.

I wiggled it and everything. That damn tie rod thing is too long. I think because my cross member is bend have something to do with it not coming out.

I even try to disassemble my rack and pinion.... That thing can't be disassemble into 2 pcs LOL.

Next weekend I will take off my rack and pinion and cross member as one piece.

Please Note: This is a dirty job

Comment

Everyone who about to do this.

Turn your wheel to the Left as much as possible then Lock the steering wheel.
                        And do not move the steering wheel afterward or you will be fuck like me ><!

By turning your wheel to the left you can slide your Rack to the right a little bit then the left side will clear from Cross member then slide to the left to clear the right :P

Comment

okay, gonna do this AGAIN because I was stupid last time and didn't put a new rack in. Now my old "used" rack is leaking on the D/S boot again, even w/ new boots! yeah this is the last time I cheap out buying a used rack.

So a new rack from NAPA after I traded in the spare rack I had from my donor car was 202+tax (218)
                          New outer Tierods from an import parts store w/ the honda part number were 24.99 a piece. Look EXACTLY like OEM, made by KARLYN or something (Taiwan)

Anyone know how much fluid it takes to refill this new rack? How many pints to buy?

just completed this and it took 3 pints of fluid, just for anyone doing this soon. I drained my reservoir completely though.
                          Last edited by Losiracer2; 01-14-2010, 09:44 PM.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

my inner tie rods need to be replaced. ive got the parts including the bellows but can find any help on how to do it.... do you really need the special tool or can you muster them out with basic hand tools?
                            I LOVE My CB7

Comment

i having trouble taking out one of these bolts off

because it has a nut on the other side like this.

its impossible to fit any wrench in the tiny hole where the nut is

PSN: DJ-dlatino
                              My ride
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140370

Comment

if it just spins then the welds came off from the other side...i dont know...if you have some room maybe cut the bolt with a hack saw? but then how would you install it again...im stummped

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                                first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                                Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                                no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                                So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Working...
                                X