INT: Short Throw Shifter by BustedLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just did mine....i love it!
    i just wish there was a way to prevent it from hitting the cup holder thingy. i was tempted to just leave the panel off, so i could keep the really short throw, but i decided to slide it down a bit, and put the panel back on.

CB7 + H22A4 + M2S4 + JDM P13

www.vancouveraccords.com

Comment

he he, This is quickly becoming the most popular cheap CB7 mod around.
      My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

I ended up obviously putting my mount up a bit higher than everyone elses, and the way i did it, it was going to stay like that. I also shortened the whole assy like blamethepunx. So I was done, and put in the console...it wouldnt shift @ all. SO I ended up cutting the top off of the console(where the boot attaches to) and fiberglassing it back on about an inch forwards, and up so it would clear the stupid shifter. But its definately worth it, and I wish I would have done this sooner. more Pics will be up sometime soon.

You can see the beautifully bondo'ed console Since I have already chopped it up, I plan on also relocating the cigarette lighter to the side of it, and putting in a storage thingy between the seats because I also now have manual grey seatbelts.

Last edited by aero; 02-11-2004, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Hey, I did this today and it works well. Just one thing though. Since the shift lever now doesn't move as far, it no longer hits the bump stops. So for those of you who shift hard (i.e. jam it into gear hard), there is a possibility of breaking the shift linkage in the tranny. Just a heads up

Comment

Good heads up, didnt even think of that. You could always extend the stoppers w/something to accomodate your shifter though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus
              Hey, I did this today and it works well. Just one thing though. Since the shift lever now doesn't move as far, it no longer hits the bump stops. So for those of you who shift hard (i.e. jam it into gear hard), there is a possibility of breaking the shift linkage in the tranny. Just a heads up
              this is the only thing that is stopping me from doing this mod. a short shift is cool but a broken shift linkage while driving isn't. how can you extend the bump stops? you might have to add material somehow. any ideas? GREAT mod btw!
              1cor10:31
              - 92 LX coupe
              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Well I've had this mod done for awhile and haven't broken anything yet, and at the track I do shift rather hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus
                  you dont hit the bumpstops at stock throw either
                  MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
                  i pulled over and looked under the hood.
                  the engine was still there...
                  ...silly light!

Comment

Originally posted by blamethepunx
                    you dont hit the bumpstops at stock throw either
                    cool if that's the case, my next stop will be at my local Home Depot to get some short throws. finally a cheap and easy mod!
                    1cor10:31
                    - 92 LX coupe
                    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

this one's kinda directed 2 blamethepunx:

i lowered the assembly like u did, but i ran in2 a problem. whenever i shift into the lower gears (2nd, 4th and R), my shifter would hit the shift boot plate. it would be technically in gear but it doesn't feel like it's all the way in gear (juss wanna be safe). now i'm just goin around w/o the shift boot. did u run into the same problem? i'm thinking about just chopping that part of the plate off so i can get clearance.

other than that, best mod (cuz i actaully did it successfully )

Comment

many people who did this mod ran into problems with the shifter hitting the metal case that holds the shifter in place. you may have to find another way to keep the boot up.
                        1991 JDM Galant VR-4

Comment

Many people? I haven't found one yet? I've had this mod for over a year and experianced no problems? Where are all these people at?

Comment

I just cut the back of the metal plate off. Works the same for me.

Comment

Hey, I just did this mod this weekend. I only used basic tools and my trusty dremel. I was noticing that a lot of people were mounting the adaptor to far up on the shifter and the cables would end up hitting things. I put my new adaptor right over the ball part that is welded to the shifter and I had no problems with any shifting. I also moved the basket underneath which was easier then making the new shifter adaptor. I love it. Much shorter throw now. Thanks everyone for the pictures and the ideas on this DIY.

Comment

i started to do this today and when i went to put the basket under the sift pate, those thing there the cable are, its like a "U" clip where the cable are connected to the front of the plate. i couldnt get them off. can some1 help me out a little
                                In memory of Jameel Johnson 4.30.05--You will never be forgotten...

MY Car

HydroDunk Mixtapes...check it out

Comment

Working...
                                X