Brakes locking up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes locking up.

I was losing all pressure in my brake pedal so i Changed my master cylinder and bled my brakes. My brakes were great for a few hours then they started locking up. I have to pull over on the interstate several times because they are making my car slow down. 5th gear with the pedal to the floor and the car is still slowing itself down. Any ideas on what's wrong?

I like blue

I would say calipers sticking. Next time you go for a ride just feel the front rims if they are extremely hot that's the issue.
    1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Comment

How would one fix this?

I like blue

Comment

adjust the brake pedal height
        COUPE K24

Comment

It happens while I'm not pressing the brakes too. I feel like its slowly locking up. I usually pull over on the side of the road when there is an incline and I leave the car in neutral without the ebrake up. When I turn the car off it unlocks and the car starts rolling back. I start going again and after about 3-5 minutes it locks up again. Is there a DIY on how to fix this?

I like blue

Comment

If your calipers are stuck you will have to replace them, but you could also try to grease up the slide pins and see if that helps. The calipers are considered floating calipers because the "float" around the rotor, once they stop "floating" they are considered no good and either need to be rebuilt or replaced. Re-man calipers will cost around $50 a piece.

But first see if the rim is hot, some heat is normal but if it is red or you can't touch them at all because they are too hot then your calipers are sticking.

Hope this helps.
            1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

Comment

As mentioned already check pedal height (free play).
              Adjust as needed.

It is hard to think to have both calipers decide to stick at the same time at the same rate right after replacing brake master cylinder.
              A&P-IA

Comment

When I stop all four tires have smoke coming from the brakes. I think that all 4 are locked up? Could I have bled them too much? Is that a real thing? They're REALLY REALLY tight when I press the pedal at all.

I like blue

Comment

When brake isn't applied, the piston in the master cylinder allows fluid to release pressure from the system.

Your brake pedal is out of adjustment so it is not allowing to release pressure. Or, mew master cylinder is faulty not releasing pressure.

As brake is applied, heat is generated. This heat makes brake fluid to expand, creating unwanted pressure. Since this un-wanted pressure is not released, your entire brake system is binding.

So, go check your pedal adjustment and correct it. If adjustment is correct, you need to replace the master cylinder.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

I would love to do this. However I don't know where to start. How do I know if it needs adjustment. How do I know if my pedal is already at the correct adjustment? If it needs adjustment, how do I do that? Sorry for all the questions, but I want to make sure it's right before messing something up more.

I like blue

Comment

If you don't have a service manual, it is a good time to buy one. And use it because it's a best investment for keeping your car running well.
                      A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
                      X