CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 04-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
eazyduzit509
CB7tuner Member

eazyduzit509 is cool... so far.
Question Car dosn't like to start after driving (flooding?)

Its been happening more and more now. But when i drive my car for a bit and then shut it off for a few minutes to go get something (store), i start my car and it starts up then emmidiately bogs down (it seems) and starts spuddering at like 200 rpm's then shuts off. If i try to re-start it immidiately it won't, it just cranks and cranks. But it ALWAYS starts after i wait atleast 2-3 minutes, then runs completely fine. It seemed like it use to do it when i was low on gas but now wether i drive it 10 miles or 100 miles and shut it off it will do it. I'd say it does it a good 2-3 out of 5 times. Its really weird and i have no idea what to look for.

Last edited by eazyduzit509; 04-16-2009 at 02:23 PM.
eazyduzit509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
David Lundin
CB7tuner Member

David Lundin is cool... so far.
But never any problems when you first start it after it's been sitting overnight or similar? And no issue once it's properly started, not lost any power or anything like that?
David Lundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
eazyduzit509
CB7tuner Member

Correct, absolutely nothing. I seem to recall it doing it once or twice when i go to start it (after overnight) but we thought it was because it was low on gas and the fuel filter was dirty. We switched it out and havn't had it happen after sitting overnight in months. It seems like its acting up recently, like within the past month. But a few months ago it would do it to after driving around the big city for a bit and shutting it off, i would re-start it after 15 minutes and it would bog down and hsut off. Even if i try to give it gas when its doing this it dosnt seem to change a thing. I think when i hit the gas when its bogging i can hear the intake sucking air but its not doing anything...

Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
JoshM

JoshM has a HUGE cock! JoshM has a HUGE cock! JoshM has a HUGE cock! JoshM has a HUGE cock!
Send a message via AIM to JoshM
I'd like to know this as well.
Mine starts up every morning and everytime I get off work perfectly. But, If I have to stop anywhere on my way to work (bank, gas station, etc), it's a bitch. But, it'll start up after about 2-3 mins, just like the OP's.

1999 BMW M3
2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650
JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
evo90ex
CB7tuner Member

evo90ex is cool... so far.
my sister's cb is doing the same thing.... a mechanic once told me to check my ignitor and the main relay..
evo90ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
H22Artman
Contributing Member

H22Artman is cool... so far.
mine too.

although mine rarely does it.
maybe once every six weeks or so. but always after a short trip, and never after leaving it to cool overnight.

no performance loss or any noticeable indication that anything wrong took place once the car gets running again.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112
H22Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Loafer987
CB7tuner Member

Loafer987 is cool... so far.
Sounds exactly like my car except after a really long highway trip it would completely die but I had similar simptoms when my fuel pump was on its way out. I would check fuel pressure when it starts doing this. (bring a guage with you or add one to your fuel rail)

and also give the main relay under the dask a whack and see if that cures it. my first guess would be fuel but spark and bad dizzy has potential too. Lack of air (extremely dirty air filter can cause this type off thing too.) clean or change that b*stard while your at it.

^Click Me!^
Loafer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
evo90ex
CB7tuner Member

evo90ex is cool... so far.
just through a little saudder on it...
evo90ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Bullhorn7
Contributing Member

Bullhorn7 is cool... so far.
Its the main relay.
Bullhorn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
drkshdw107
CB7tuner Member

drkshdw107 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to drkshdw107 Send a message via Yahoo to drkshdw107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer987 View Post
Sounds exactly like my car except after a really long highway trip it would completely die but I had similar simptoms when my fuel pump was on its way out. I would check fuel pressure when it starts doing this. (bring a guage with you or add one to your fuel rail)

and also give the main relay under the dask a whack and see if that cures it. my first guess would be fuel but spark and bad dizzy has potential too. Lack of air (extremely dirty air filter can cause this type off thing too.) clean or change that b*stard while your at it.
x2...I agree...check fuel pressure and main relay when the problem occurs...I havent had this happen to me...but sounds like a fuel problem for sure...are you getting a check engine light?...if so...what is the code?
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
US Navy Electrician
Contact me if you need help on the side.
'92 Accord DX (For Sale)
'01 Civic LX
'00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever
drkshdw107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #11
H22Artman
Contributing Member

H22Artman is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullhorn7 View Post
Its the main relay.
its definitely not the main relay. at least for my car anyway.

that was one part i was fortunate enough to have a spare of when this happened.

swapped it out, still no start.

im leaning towards erratic fuel pump. but until it does it again im just gonna keep on drivin

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112
H22Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
brooklynkid1986
CB7tuner Member

brooklynkid1986 is cool... so far.
Mine Too!

My car was doing that for a little while but i changed a bunch of stuff and it just stopped. I'd check ignition system before fuel. but i tend to blame that first.
now my car is a pain to crank cold. I can stop a hundred times within a few miles and it'll crank right up but if i walk away for a few hours, takes a maybe 3 seconds of cranking to start her up.
brooklynkid1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #13
90Haccord
CB7tuner Member

90Haccord is cool... so far.
Mine did that, also wouldn't start on really hot days.

MAIN RELAY.
stock alt rewound to 120amps
optima orange top 830cca 1030ca
fully synthetic valvoline "Max Life" 5w30

Other rides:
2004 Jeep Liberty v6
2001 Honda civic ex coupe 1.7 vtec
90Haccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:29 PM   #14
FNEG
CB7tuner Member

FNEG is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H22artman View Post
its definitely not the main relay. at least for my car anyway.

that was one part i was fortunate enough to have a spare of when this happened.

swapped it out, still no start.

im leaning towards erratic fuel pump. but until it does it again im just gonna keep on drivin
the relay controlls the power going to the fuel pump so if the relay is working then your fuel pump is fine and not worth investigating
what i am saying is a relay is like a light switch when the light is on the conact is close when it is off the the contact is open. so if the car is off and you know the relay is good they it is the wires that feed the relay is where your problem will be in the ignition or ecu as for the others in this forum i would start to look at your main relay it sounds like the conact getts suck closed allowing power to go to your fuel pump which will flood your motor causing the problem people are having in this thread.
FNEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
bobbycos
Contributing Member

bobbycos seems to have made some friends! bobbycos seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bobbycos
i asked this same question on an earlier thread. I changed the fuel filter (it needed it) but still get the same problem here and there with the no start.

could it be an erratic fuel pump? but then why can i drive to work with no problems at all
bobbycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
drkshdw107
CB7tuner Member

drkshdw107 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to drkshdw107 Send a message via Yahoo to drkshdw107
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNEG View Post
the relay controlls the power going to the fuel pump so if the relay is working then your fuel pump is fine and not worth investigating
what i am saying is a relay is like a light switch when the light is on the conact is close when it is off the the contact is open. so if the car is off and you know the relay is good they it is the wires that feed the relay is where your problem will be in the ignition or ecu as for the others in this forum i would start to look at your main relay it sounds like the conact getts suck closed allowing power to go to your fuel pump which will flood your motor causing the problem people are having in this thread.
I agree with the main relay theory...but I am not sure this is a great explanation. The main relay is actually a set of two relays. One relay is energized when the key is turned to the "On" position and sends power to the ECU, Injectors, and the second relay. The second relay is turned on for only 2 secs to energize the fuel pump for starting and then provides continuous power to fuel pump once started...
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think I can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy." --President John F. Kennedy

ASE Master Automotive Technician
ASE Master Med/Heavy Truck Technician
US Navy Electrician
Contact me if you need help on the side.
'92 Accord DX (For Sale)
'01 Civic LX
'00 Tahoe

Greatest Rally Video Ever
drkshdw107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #17
C91BLX7
CB7tuner Member

C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful
When it happens you have to check for Spark and Fuel.

I'd say its probably ignition related.

My car after its been started once in the day, all i have to do is like blip the starter and it goes
Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #18
areannecl
CB7tuner Member

areannecl is cool... so far.
I had this problem and the solution after much research and hair pulling is:

Replacing the MAIN RELAY, the solders on it might be going bad. You can probably get one for 60 bucks at the honda dealership or if you are a bit more adventurous than I, you can take out the main relay- take out the bad solders and resolder it and it should work.

The problem is when the compartment gets heated, the solders on the main relay expand ergo resulting in some stuff that does not want to turn over, by fixing this problem- you should be all set.

Hope this helps.

PROJECT: EIEN (Eternity, Endless) in progress...

"What's the point of a race?- Just means you're faster...that's all. If I have to race, it should be for something important..."

"What Is A Man Who Cannot Prosper and Better What He Owns?"
areannecl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:10 PM   #19
FNEG
CB7tuner Member

FNEG is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkshdw107 View Post
I agree with the main relay theory...but I am not sure this is a great explanation. The main relay is actually a set of two relays. One relay is energized when the key is turned to the "On" position and sends power to the ECU, Injectors, and the second relay. The second relay is turned on for only 2 secs to energize the fuel pump for starting and then provides continuous power to fuel pump once started...
you are right i was tring to explain the basics a a relay and how it works i didn't really want to go into the two pole and all that because for some relays are confusing
FNEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 PM   #20
eazyduzit509
CB7tuner Member

I can hear my fuel pump pumping (the buzzing sound) for a few seconds when i turn the key on the on position but not start it. I tested this problem twice today and it happend once out of the three times i tried. Was on my way to work and i purposely shut my car off after like half mile and went to restart it and it just bogged down and i had to wait 2-3 minutes. Got to work 9 miles later, shut it off, started it and it started fine. Same thing after i got home from work, started it back up after 10 miles and it was fine. It almost seems random but i don't like it. Within the past 2 months ive replaced igniter, sparkplugs, new bosch wires, dizzy cap and rotor. When it dosnt start i crank it and then smell for fuel in the intake (short ram) but can't smell anything. If it gets worse or keeps doing it bad enough i will shoot for the main relay. I didnt know this was happening to this many people, sounds like an epedemic to me...

Mu car has also been doing a weird sputtering thing. ONLY after its warmed up, under lower rpm's when my gas pedal is like 1/8 of the way down or just a little more pressure needed to move, it will sputter and hesitate untill i give it a little more gas. When it sputters, it mostly holds its speed and dosn't move. Performance is still great and everywhere around the weird sputter spot is golden... It seems to be a mystery. Its been happening a good month or two.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: