gas gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas gauge

I removed the gauge cluster to change the bulbs and now with it installed the needle on the gas guage just slowly rise to it max out, there no gas in the car.

I have the same problem. If anyone has a solution please let me know!
    My temp guage also maxes out when the key is turned on. i know there isnt more than a 1/4 tank of gas. I removed the cluster and replaced a few bulbs and remopved the light bulb from the "brake lamp" warning. Since then the guages are screwed. Someone please help!

^Click Me!^

Comment

i'm guessing as soon as u put in more gas the gauge will level out,and all will be good.

i have the same problem,right now with the gas,the temp gauge seems to work ok.
      thats what i think,the gas issue is...anyone know for sure?
      Last edited by black sunshine; 08-06-2009, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by black sunshine View Post
        anyone have an answer to this?...i'm guessing as soon as u put in more gas the gauge will level out
        you messed up you calibration needles, either take it off and try to fix them are buy a new cluster

Comment

Originally posted by H22A91CB7 View Post
          you messed up you calibration needles, either take it off and try to fix them are buy a new cluster
          hmmm...can u elaborate,on this a bit?...how do u go about fixing the calibration needles?

Comment

hmmm...can u elaborate,on this a bit?...how do u go about fixing the calibration needles?
            well son its like this, when a man becomes a man na im bullshitn but seriously dude thier are 3 needles on the back of your cluster for each gauge, it they are too loose are too tight from factory they will make the gauge do strange things, and they are very easy to mess up

Comment

this happened to me recently when i changed my auto gauge to a 5speed gauge along w/ my swap...turns out i over tightened the screws that hold the gauge to the cluster...and snapped the copper wires for the fuel gauge...i ended up replacing the fuel gauge w/ a brand new one from factory..a bit pricey..but it works....
              remove your cluster and remove your fuel/temp gauge and inspect the coiled loom of copper wires of the back of it very carefully..im sure they are broken...

Comment

Originally posted by PhatAccord View Post
                this happened to me recently when i changed my auto gauge to a 5speed gauge along w/ my swap...turns out i over tightened the screws that hold the gauge to the cluster...and snapped the copper wires for the fuel gauge...i ended up replacing the fuel gauge w/ a brand new one from factory..a bit pricey..but it works....
                remove your cluster and remove your fuel/temp gauge and inspect the coiled loom of copper wires of the back of it very carefully..im sure they are broken...
                thanks i will try that

Comment

anyone know for sure if the low gas light will work,even if the fuel gauge needle does not?...if so i won't worry about the gas gauge too much right now.

Comment

anyone know for sure if the low gas light will work,even if the fuel gauge needle does not?...if so i won't worry about the gas gauge too much right now.
                    if the low fuel indicator was working before...than yes for sure my low fuel light worked even when the needle pointed to full

Comment

i pm loafer987 about this issue,and this is what he said:

Actually I did figure it out. I had to install a new cluster to solve the issue but I fount out later what caused it.
                      The screws that go into the back of the guage cluster to pass power and signal to the guages have tiny little wires that are wound on the coil on the back of the guage. ( Take one apart you'll see what I mean) If you overtighten these screws it will break the wires free from the guage itself or short the wires to the coil causing the incorrect reading. Mine were very overtightened and most of the wires broke loose causing me lots of issues including the temp guage and everything not working.
                      Pass this info on to the rest of the crew if you have time or anyone else asks. and NEVER again overtighten the 12 screws that connect the guages to the mainboard!
                      You will need either new guages or a whole new cluster to fix this issue. Good luck!
                      Laird....

if any you have this issue,like me and others u now know what to do...good luck

Comment

Also, moving the fuel needle too much will ruin it.
                        I didnt have this over tightening issue, Im careful.
                        I however moved the fuel need a few times because I buffed out my guages originally.
                        Once I plugged it back in everything worked except the fuel was through the roof.
                        The wires can also cause this, though a different way.
                        The fuel guage is really an Ohm-meter. It takes a variable reading from the fuel sending unit.
                        If this was say, unplugged you would get E, shorted you get F
                        There is a resistance built into the guage, it takes X amount of pressure to move the guage to X point on the read-out.
                        Now wiggling the needle quickly wears out the guage, thus the guage has no resistance, it hits F very easily.

Thats why guys, it always best to never let your car get low on gas, youll eventually ruin your guage.
                        Your man for wiring solutions!
                        CB7Man's Coupe H22 Swap
                        CB7Man's Sedan Resurrected From The Dead

Comment

mine needle doesnt max out, it doesnt tell me when im empty. when i fill it up its goes all the way to F and drops to about half-way and stays there until the orange gas light comes on. any ideas on what the problem is?

Comment

Originally posted by zmanwit90accord View Post
                            mine needle doesnt max out, it doesnt tell me when im empty. when i fill it up its goes all the way to F and drops to about half-way and stays there until the orange gas light comes on. any ideas on what the problem is?
                            I had that problem. Ended up having to change the float thing (can't remember the proper name). Its located right behind the backseat.
                            1992 H22A4 Coupe - R.I.P.

Bought from: slammed4thgen. new_beginnings. crzy.tuning. f20aaccordturbo. hondaguy1212. cb4_honda. fatboy1185. wed3k.
                            _____________H22A4CB7. minorreparations. PR CB7. plee3. Bisimoto Engineering.

Sold to: LadyG. sulimed. choppacity. choogee3.

Comment

Originally posted by SE_DynamiK View Post
                              I had that problem. Ended up having to change the float thing (can't remember the proper name). Its located right behind the backseat.
                              metering valve/float
                              Last edited by PhatAccord; 09-16-2009, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X