CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Audio/Electronics

Old 09-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
scudweiser
CB7tuner Member

scudweiser seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to scudweiser
6 1/2 vs. 6x9

Hi all, forgive my noobness when it comes to audio, never really mattered that much to me. Anyhow my LX has 6 1/2" alpine type-s speakers in the rear.

My question is, if I swap them out for some 6x9s will i notice a real difference? Is it worth it if I already have good speakers back there?

I dont really plan on modifying anything else as far as stereo goes but if there will be a big difference, I will swap out the smaller speakers.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
xkjnboix
CB7tuner Member

xkjnboix seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to xkjnboix
honestly i dont even hear my front speakers at all. i could prob do without them and not tell the difference. but seriously the rears are the most important. all of your sound projected throughout the car will origionate from there. 6x9's are a WORLD of difference when compared with 6 1/2 ( depending on quality of speakers perce~ ) just find an EX and get you a set of rear speakers you will be very very happy. and if not then you just spent 10$ at the salvage and can return your newly purchased 6x9's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[color="Magenta"]
xkjnboix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
I disagree. I say the fronts are the most important, but that's just me. The only difference between a 6x9 and and 6.5 (same model) is the surface area and frequency extension. It's not that big of a difference imo, especially if you're just running off of HU power.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
scudweiser
CB7tuner Member

scudweiser seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to scudweiser
thanks guys, helpful info for me to think over.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
judonoh
CB7tuner Member

judonoh is cool... so far.
when was the last time you went to a concert and had the band playing behind ya? 6x9 might provide a little lower hrz but the sound output is still equal to the 6 1/2. generally 6 1/2 sound cleaner and when used with a sub have better blending.
judonoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
casterX
Contributing Member

casterX is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by judonoh View Post
when was the last time you went to a concert and had the band playing behind ya? 6x9 might provide a little lower hrz but the sound output is still equal to the 6 1/2. generally 6 1/2 sound cleaner and when used with a sub have better blending.
BINGO!

only use 6x9 for the rear if you don't intend on adding a sub..
Old 09-18-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
UNeeKToNy
CB7tuner Member

UNeeKToNy is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to UNeeKToNy
from my personal experiences between 6.5 and 6x9 speakers. i believe:

6.5 gives off more of a bass sound.
and
6x9 gives off more of a clarity sound.

just me personal experience and opinion from two of the same speaker brands.
UNeeKToNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #8
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNeeKToNy View Post
from my personal experiences between 6.5 and 6x9 speakers. i believe:

6.5 gives off more of a bass sound.
and
6x9 gives off more of a clarity sound.

just me personal experience and opinion from two of the same speaker brands.
That's different from the norm...You must've heard different brands of the two speakers.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #9
UNeeKToNy
CB7tuner Member

UNeeKToNy is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to UNeeKToNy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
That's different from the norm...You must've heard different brands of the two speakers.
nope sure didnt. they both were pioneers. plus it's my own personal experience, im still a newbie when it comes to audio.
UNeeKToNy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
Sarthos
CB7tuner Member

Sarthos is cool... so far.
6x9s can give off more bass and are a bit louder. They have more surface area so they can push more air and make more noise.

6.5s have better clarity. 6.5s also last longer. Think about it like this. When a speaker makes noise the cone has to move up and down, and also stretches the cone and the surround. Because a circle is perfectly symmetrical around the motor, wherever it stretches will be perfectly uniform. The smaller cone can also move up and down faster, resulting in a better midrange sound. Normally they both will use the same tweeters so they'll have near identical treble. When a 6x9 stretches it stretches different amounts on different parts of the cone, resulting in a distorted sound and wear on the speaker.

As for making the rears louder it can be done, but I don't like it. I've removed my rear speakers cause I haven't gotten off my butt and finished upholstering the box for them, but just running the front speakers gives me so much more clarity but I do lose a lot of volume. But a 150x2 amp is plenty of power to keep the front loud
Sarthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
Loafer987
CB7tuner Member

Loafer987 is cool... so far.
Any pro with experience will tell you that 6x9's are not a linear speaker. Meaning they do not create sound waves that simulate realistic audio. 6x9's should only be used in a situation where a subwoofer will never be added. They have more surface area and create more bass. They will never be able to reproduce a quality soundstage.
In our show car for Andres audiotronic we actually have no rear speakers whatsoever. Allowing the sound stage to be completely in front of the listener. (exactly the way a concert is supposed to be) A good set of component 6.5" speakers when amplified gives ANYONE enough volume in a small car like ours. Spend the money on a better set of front speakers like hertz or focal with some dynamat and a proper installation with an amp and none of your friends will even come close in audio quality.

All this of course is only worth while with a good head unit and NO MP3's or other bad quality recordings. Otherwise your wasting your time. Remember your average MP3 is 192kbps. All cds are 1411.2kbps. cds are 7 times better than MP3's.

If you cant afford to do a higher end set of components just upgrade your head unit (cd player) to something with a 24 bit DAC like the Alpine CDA-117and get better front speakers as this will be the 2 best cheap upgrades our cars can start with.

^Click Me!^
Loafer987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #12
casterX
Contributing Member

^ for that basic must know in car audio..

going back to the OP's question:
"My question is, if I swap them out for some 6x9s will i notice a real difference? Is it worth it if I already have good speakers back there?"

-minimal difference.. not worth it..

**always start your car audio upgrade with a good HU(head unit).. garbage in.. garbage out.. no matter how high end your system is(speakers, wires, amp., eq, etc.), if you have a garbage HU.. it would still sound like garbage..
Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
stevediraddo
CB7tuner Member

stevediraddo is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to stevediraddo
if you're going to install 6x9s then get the proper covers. dont do what i did and cut new holes in your deck >_<

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)
stevediraddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
Sarthos
CB7tuner Member

There won't be a big difference if you don't do anything else to your system. If, however

You upgrade your stereo
Upgrade your front speakers
Get 6x9s
Use an EQ to cut treble and mids on the rear speakers

Then you'll notice a difference in clarity and bass.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer987 View Post
Any pro with experience will tell you that 6x9's are not a linear speaker. Meaning they do not create sound waves that simulate realistic audio.
Numbers or graphs to prove this?
What's a "linear" speaker?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #16
TheNextEpisode
CB7tuner Member

TheNextEpisode is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to TheNextEpisode
First off, this is only kinda on topic.

I've often heard the analogy of never having the live band playing behind you. I understand that ideally the sound stage should come from in front of the listener.

But in terms of pure music enjoyment, I frequently question having a primarily front sound stage. I realize that in the pursuit of reproducing a live band its an absolute must. But when I find myself deep into whatever music I happen to be listening to (Joachim Spieth is a good example), I tent to want to be completely immersed in it. I usually regard the purely front sound stage of live concerts to be more of a limitation than something to be emulated.

I say this knowing that I haven't listened to 'professional' systems of any sort, so I'm really looking for somebody to tell me that I'm crazy and that front sound stage is t3h win.
TheNextEpisode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:12 AM   #17
casterX
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
Numbers or graphs to prove this?
What's a "linear" speaker?

correct me if i'm wrong..
i believe what Loafer987 was trying to say was if you were to compare how sound waves travel as to ripples in a pond. dropping a marble in that pond would create that perfect ripple and dropping lets say a brick in that same pond.. sure it would create ripples but not as perfect and/or clean as the ripples made by the marble..
Old 09-21-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
casterX
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
I say this knowing that I haven't listened to 'professional' systems of any sort, so I'm really looking for somebody to tell me that I'm crazy and that front sound stage is t3h win.

a THX certified movie theater would be more than enough to convince you..
Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #19
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterX View Post
correct me if i'm wrong..
i believe what Loafer987 was trying to say was if you were to compare how sound waves travel as to ripples in a pond. dropping a marble in that pond would create that perfect ripple and dropping lets say a brick in that same pond.. sure it would create ripples but not as perfect and/or clean as the ripples made by the marble..
Nice analogy but I think that has to do more with diffraction. The marble is smooth and round so the ripples emanating from are going to reflect(ha) the shape of the marble. If you rounded off the corners and sides of the brick it'll make a deeper (higher amplitude) and wider (lower frequency) ripple...I'm just talking right now but it sounds good lol.

The only real problem with 6x9's is that they beam at lower frequencies than 6.5's. That means that as the cone starts to play higher, the less sound is radiated and it starts to focus (like a flashligh "beam"). And of course the obvious stress points. I think I'm going to look for some numbers to back me up.

Honestly I don't think it matters if you're running full range off of hu power. I would pick 6x9's in that case. They only sound bad if you're pushing the power to them. I use bad very loosely here.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Sarthos
CB7tuner Member

Just make sure you don't use the hu power to try and really pound your speakers. A clipped signal will wreck your 6x9s faster than a clean high watt signal.

Alpine Type S already has decent bass, not sure how much you have to gain by upgrading. Unless you wanna do more than just swapping the speakers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: