Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

High Idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle problems

Hello all! I just purchased myself a '93 EX with idle issues, knowing full well that they existed. I figured it should be an easy fix and just want to re-affirm my diagnosis. When I first looked at it, the vehicle idled at 2200 RPM in N/P. I tapped the accelerator, which now seems a little loose to a point, and it revved up as expected, but very slowly settled down to 3000 RPM. Now whenever I start the vehicle it remains at that high idle, however it does drop to 1500 RPM in gear. I was thinking, with the loose gas pedal and the way it behaved prior that there might be something binding the linkage, however I know full well it could be a gasket or vacuum leak. The previous owner claims he didn't have these issues when he pulled the vehicle out from the barn he had it stored in (it's still in fairly good shape). Thoughts?

Hard to say. It could very well be a vacuum leak. Especially if the car was neglected.

He could have adjusted the idle screw out too far.

A high hanging idle could be an over active IACV valve. If I have mine set too high in my tuning software it does this.

It could be the FITV.

I would start with vacuum lines and then go the the idle screw.

steve

Comment

That is a lot of info that is kinda scattered all over the place gonna be hard to help you unless you can start ruling out some things. If it was stored in a barn who knows what all could be wrong but have you changed the coolant? Sometimes air gets in the cooling system and that can cause a strange idle as well
      " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Usually low coolant or improperly adjusted idle valves will cause the "crazy up and down idle" but just to rule them out, go ahead and bleed the coolant. Open the bleeder valve on thermostat housing and fill the radiator till you get a steady flow. Then close bleeder. Then on your fast idle valve remove the screws on the cap and take 2 pocket screwdrivers and adjust it clockwise all the way down. Then reinstall the cap. Those screws can be stubborn sometimes. I like to make a tightening motion first to break them free. Or tap the end of your screwdriver with a mallet or hammer while trying to loosen.

Comment

+1 on the vacuum hoses. Check the lines heading to the map sensor, its located in a box on the passengers side firewall. Mine have slipped off the sensor before.

Comment

So I drove the car to a place I could work on it and by the time I parked it the idle had gone from 3k to 6k. I found no problems with the vacuum lines, however the pcv valve had popped off so I put it back in for now. I messed around with throttle afterwards and believe that the linkage is binding up.

Here's what it looks like in it's resting state:
            Throttle body

I realized only after ruining it that the other cable was the shift cable for the AT (amateur mistake, already buying a replacement).

Anything else I should look at?

Comment

Working...
            X