Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Overheating not even hot, apparently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overheating not even hot, apparently

Hey guys,

(Boring back story coming up... Skip this paragraph if you're not interested )

Recently stumbled across this site, an amazing resource. I've been browsing around, getting some info for my Accord. 1992 Aerodeck, it's pretty run down, but it was a gift from my brother for getting my license. I originally hated the thing... But after having it for 6 months or so, I've come to really like it... It has over half-a-million KMs on the clock (approx 312k Miles), so it's really done the hard yards, but man does this thing keep on going!

I'll get some pics today. With her peeling paint job and everything.

Anyway, getting to the actual question, recently the car has started to overheat. The car used to go through radiator coolant pretty quick, now it's using it very slowly. Some reading around on here lead me to believe it might be a busted Thermostat. Also, interestingly, the temperature gauge only ever says the engine gets about half hot, never into the red (I know this isn't the case under the hood, does a broken Thermo affect the reading of the gauge?)

I'd love some opinions here, I'm hoping it is the Thermo, cause it's cheap and easy.

Well.. you can also check the temp sensor's contact connection. Make sure it isn't loose or corrod.
    Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

a bad thermostat can cause it to over heat weather its stuck open or closed. stuck closed will cause you to not have a constant coolant flow. stuck open allows the coolant to ALWAYS flow. a thermostat is designed to open and close while vehicle is running. if its always open, it doesnt allow the coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to dissipate heat therefore you will see a increase in temp while sitting at idle for to long for instance at a red light or a drive thru. however a bad thermostat is not going to give you a false temp reading to my knowledge. i would think that would be caused by a bad temp sensor. there are 2 of them, one is on the head right under the distributor and the other is on the coolant neck for the upper radiator hose at the head.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=183959

Comment

Alright, I'm guessing the Thermostat is stuck closed, or half-way or something. (Probably not open). Either way, I'll test and replace that

As for the temp gauge, ah, I didn't even know there were sensors for it (I know, sorta makes sense that there should be... haha). But I'll check those out too, will report back later today.

Thanks guys, quick replies

Comment

Small possibility, but you may have a small split in on of your hoses. Happened in my old CB mate, my gauge inside stayed the same, but then under the hot it was hot as hell under the bonnet. So give your hoses a good looking over and make sure none of them have a split and are leaking. Apart from that, yes, try checking the thermostat!

Comment

already said, but the thermostat only opens to allow flow. the temp sensor actually runs the gauge in the car and runs the relay for your cooling fan.

if you looking coolant, look at the usual suspects. Check you coolant/oil for signs of the other fluid (head gasket issue)

go over ALL of you coolant lines. that means the rad hoses, the coolant bypass lines, the IACV line, the FITV lines if those are still hooked up, etc. any of those could be cracking of even fraying at the end allowing just a tiny bit of coolant out at a time.

also check your radiator cap. if its not holding pressure it'll let coolant out into the overflow. If the rad is old it could be clogged and cause a build up of pressure that can cause the lines to break.

not too hard really, should only take an hour or so to track down the problem if you go through everything one by one.
            Last edited by Flatline; 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DIRTY DAVE View Post
              a bad thermostat can cause it to over heat weather its stuck open or closed. stuck closed will cause you to not have a constant coolant flow. stuck open allows the coolant to ALWAYS flow. a thermostat is designed to open and close while vehicle is running. if its always open, it doesnt allow the coolant to stay in the radiator long enough to dissipate heat therefore you will see a increase in temp while sitting at idle for to long for instance at a red light or a drive thru. however a bad thermostat is not going to give you a false temp reading to my knowledge. i would think that would be caused by a bad temp sensor. there are 2 of them, one is on the head right under the distributor and the other is on the coolant neck for the upper radiator hose at the head.
              Thanks bro this helped me out i been having this issue for awile now i havent been able to figure it out =]

Comment

Working...
              X