Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Need Help ASAP. Repair Gone Wrong (Possibly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help ASAP. Repair Gone Wrong (Possibly)

When I got my CB, it had sat for a while before hand. I drove it and realized it was burning oil and looked into it as the valve cover gaskets and the ones under the rocker arm assembly are bad. Took everything apart and sure enough the ones under the rocker arm assembly were all hard and cracked. I replaced them. Went to put everything back together and I did it, but because of the lack of time I had, I didnt use a torque wrench, i just used my ratchet and got everything tight so i could make it home. A week later (yesterday) Im driving on the expressway at about 80 mph and the car just shut off on me. It started right back up once I put it in park after stopping. Again maybe 20 minutes later going 40 mph and it shut off again. I am wondering if i didnt do something right. I do know that in my rush to put everything back together, I broke 1 bold that is on the left side of the rocker assembly that is where the distributor is. Its one of the 10mm bolts. a really small one. I didn't think it was a big deal but idk.

Can someone help me figure this out.

You need to give us a little more information bro, honestly the broken bolt or the fact that you didn't torque the rocker arm assembly into spec doesn't really relate to your car shutting off.

Even tho you have to torque em down and I recommend you go back and do so ASAP.

When it dies Do lights dim? ..

Bad ground to distributor can cause a similar problem. Even a weak alternator..but that also has other symptoms .

Any check engine light?
    Last edited by Jarrett; 08-23-2014, 08:07 AM.

Originally posted by deevergote
    .......If they seem smart, and just trying to learn, I'll offer as much help as possible. If they seem stupid and lazy, I'll do my best to piss them off so they leave and never come back... while still answering the question.

Comment

Originally posted by turboAccordHSF View Post
      You need to give us a little more information bro, honestly the broken bolt or the fact that you didn't torque the rocker arm assembly into spec doesn't really relate to your car shutting off.

Even tho you have to torque em down and I recommend you go back and do so ASAP.

When it dies Do lights dim? ..

Bad ground to distributor can cause a similar problem. Even a weak alternator..but that also has other symptoms .

Any check engine light?
      When it died the lights were bright, caught me off guard because i never had a check engine light on the car since i had it even though the car set for so long. No check engine light that stayed on. When i realized that the car had shut off, i looked at the dash and i saw that the check engine light was on. When i turned the key back to the off position, the light went off. When i was able to come to a complete stop, and started the car again, there was no check engine light at all. I didnt drive the car today after that happening. I will try to find a place with an OBD 1 scanner, or jump the connector and see if there is a code. Im also going to check all the connections on the engine, and make sure all the hoses are connected where they need to be.

Comment

so? is it fixed?
        For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

I had the same problem. It happened rite after I put a new head on. I overlooked a ground wire rite on the side of the dizzy. Maybe this will help..

Comment

Also check the igniter in the distributor. That will cause it to just shut off then start up again but eventually it won't start. Pep boys has it for about $60.00

Comment

Sounds like a dying igniter in the dizzy, do you have oil leaking from the dizzy?

Edit: just noticed the post above me said the same thing...
              Last edited by wildBill83; 08-28-2014, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X