2014/2016 Toyota Corolla Headlights Too Bright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
    Agreed. Wish I had power folding mirrors because when these cars are behind me it is too bright. I'll also turn my rear view mirror towards them to give them a hint.

Since I'm the only one in the world who gives a shit about this, how do I let it go? How do you all do it? It really is starting to discourage me from driving, especially at night.
    Could it be that its an actual problem or is it a trigger to you as the sound of nails being clipped to me? That sh8t sends me into an all out rage, people who cant park too and ice being chewed.................
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
      Could it be that its an actual problem or is it a trigger to you as the sound of nails being clipped to me? That sh8t sends me into an all out rage, people who cant park too and ice being chewed.................
      Good to know.
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
        It's the blinding part i guess i don't agree with

Comment

Even back in March 2016 the IIHS has been pushing for headlight system improvement:
          http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ed-improvement

While they discuss the glare aspect:
          "Glare for oncoming vehicles also is measured from low beams in each scenario to make sure it isn't excessive."

I get the impression even they realize glare can't be eradicated:
          "A vehicle with excessive glare on any of the approaches can't earn a rating above marginal."

All that aside I found it curious and frustrating when I recently replaced both headlight assemblies with OEM units on our 2000 Accord. First it was interesting that the 98-00 models contained built-in bubble levels while the 01-02 models did not. Instead they rely on positioning the car a specific distance from a wall, measuring up that wall a certain number of inches, drawing a horizontal line, and measuring down from that line a few inches and aiming your lights so the top of the beam hits that mark... way too convulted.

But the frustrating part for me was no matter who I called, Honda dealer, DMV, AZ DPS, etc. no one knew of any guidelines or statuates regarding horizontal adjustment. The info for vertical aim is very common but you could easily be doing as much harm by incorrectly misaiming horizontally too...

So why is this information non existent!?
          My Collection:
          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
            Even back in March 2016 the IIHS has been pushing for headlight system improvement:
            http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ed-improvement

While they discuss the glare aspect:
            "Glare for oncoming vehicles also is measured from low beams in each scenario to make sure it isn't excessive."

I get the impression even they realize glare can't be eradicated:
            "A vehicle with excessive glare on any of the approaches can't earn a rating above marginal."

All that aside I found it curious and frustrating when I recently replaced both headlight assemblies with OEM units on our 2000 Accord. First it was interesting that the 98-00 models contained built-in bubble levels while the 01-02 models did not. Instead they rely on positioning the car a specific distance from a wall, measuring up that wall a certain number of inches, drawing a horizontal line, and measuring down from that line a few inches and aiming your lights so the top of the beam hits that mark... way too convulted.

But the frustrating part for me was no matter who I called, Honda dealer, DMV, AZ DPS, etc. no one knew of any guidelines or statuates regarding horizontal adjustment. The info for vertical aim is very common but you could easily be doing as much harm by incorrectly misaiming horizontally too...

So why is this information non existent!?
            Agreed. I've called and wrote Toyota and each time they say "our headlights meet all safety standards, blah blah blah". And that baffles me because the headlights blind everyone! I can see why others install after market headlights because why should they give a shit if Toyota doesn't. Ten people will have to die before they change anything!

Anyways, if anyone cares i created a petition at change.org. Your support would be helpful. Some have already started to help out.

https://www.change.org/p/toyota-moto...ing-too-bright

Comment

Agreed. I've called and wrote Toyota and each time they say "our headlights meet all safety standards, blah blah blah". And that baffles me because the headlights blind everyone! I can see why others install after market headlights because why should they give a shit if Toyota doesn't. Ten people will have to die before they change anything!

Anyways, if anyone cares i created a petition at change.org. Your support would be helpful. Some have already started to help out.

https://www.change.org/p/toyota-moto...ing-too-bright
              Actually, I heard it's 20 deaths before they tell you that you should fix the problem... at least that's what Takata is doing with their airbags.

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
                Actually, I heard it's 20 deaths before they tell you that you should fix the problem... at least that's what Takata is doing with their airbags.
                Really . On reddit i seen a car where the steering wheel spins around on its own. It was pretty funny. can't find it but here's another

Comment

Hey Raf here's an updated story from TTAC dated December 31, 2017
                  Try not to get too upset when you reach the last sentence...

The IIHS is Hoping For a Bright Future When it Comes to Headlights
                  Code:
                  http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/12/iihs-hoping-bright-future-comes-headlights/
                  Even though headlights have evolved from uniform circles illuminating the roadway in largely the same way to diverse units that look and function very differently, their overall performance has improved immensely. Nobody is going to jump from a 1955 DeSoto to a 2018 Dodge and think “Wow, these headlamps are just terrible.”

However, the International Institute for Highway Safety has been on a two-year mission to make modern headlights look bad and there are two possible explanations as to why. Either the IIHS genuinely believes the current offerings from manufacturers are unsafe, or it’s trying to promote competition within the industry to produce a better bulb. The truth, as usual, is likely somewhere in the middle.

Original equipment manufacturers have begun incorporating headlight design as part of the vehicle’s overall styling. Headlamps are now almost as indicative of a specific brand as the grille or taillights. But the IIHS thinks the move has resulted in OEMs prioritizing style over functionality. The group’s updated illumination metrics absolutely devastated its Top Safety Pick List for 2018 and we ran story-after-story outlining specific segments where the vast-majority of models had underperforming headlights.

In July of 2016, the IIHS couldn’t find a single vehicle in the small SUV category with forward illumination that it would consider good. In fact, over two thirds of the vehicles it tested were given a “poor” score. The group has called its findings “concerning,” citing blinding risks and lackluster from-the-factory aiming as possible hazards for nighttime driving.

Has two-years of condemnation made a difference? Not universally. While some vehicles have improved their headlights to repair a damaged safety rating, Automotive News referenced a handful of popular domestic models from Ford and General Motors that didn’t make the cut — garnering a marginal or poor score. While GM declined to comment a spokesperson from Ford said, “Safety continues to be one of the highest priorities in the design of our vehicles. Ford develops headlamps for our vehicles through rigorous real-world driving and customer feedback. Ford is committed to meeting or exceeding applicable federal motor vehicle safety laws.”

In some respects, it’s unfair to expect an immediate shift in manufacturing to account for testing that didn’t even exist two years ago. Matthew Brumbelow, a senior research engineer at the insurance institute, admitted insurance group’s headlight studies are still new to consumers. The first study was released in March 2016 and he said said the organization is testing headlights “more dynamically” than most automakers had previously experienced.

“We’ve already seen some manufacturers go back and change their design — or more commonly, tighten up their aiming process at the factory,” Brumbelow said. “There’s still a long way to go, but we’re glad we’ve seen the improvements.”

One such manufacturer was Kia. The 2016 and 2017 Kia Sorento, 2017 Sportage and 2016 Optima all received poor scores from the IIHS. However the 2017 Optima has since received a good score, while the 2018 Sorento was upgraded to an acceptable score. In a statement to Automotive News, Kia Motors America said that vehicle safety is a priority for the automaker but said the insurance group’s testing “goes well beyond federal requirements and is only one of the many tests used to evaluate vehicles.”

“Kia will carefully evaluate the results of the new IIHS test procedure, along with the results of all other tests, as part of its commitment to continuous product improvement,” the automaker said.

Todd Morgan, senior vice president of global product development at Varroc Lighting Systems, thinks supplier innovation will be a key aspect in helping OEMs improve headlamp scores. In addition to new products, like upgraded LED technology, Morgan says existing products like automatic headlight-leveling could be helpful. Used to help re-aim beams when a vehicle is weighed down in the back, leveling is mandatory in Europe but not the United States.

Morgan and Brumbelow also agree that adaptive driving beams, which allow high beams to light a driver’s entire path, with the exception of any oncoming vehicles, are the next big step. While the technology has cropped up in Europe and Japan, U.S. regulations don’t yet permit it. “It’s not yet legal on the road in the United States, which is really a shame because this is a huge advancement in safety,” Morgan said. “Everything is automated.”

The NHTSA is currently conducting research on the use of adaptive driving beams in other countries. However, it declined to comment on its progress. Presently it mandates the limits for maximum and minimum intensity of headlight beams but doesn’t take aspects, like aim, into account.
                  My Collection:
                  93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                  00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                  04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Yep, I'm still here hating Toyota Corollas. But maybe this is why. Maybe the company has done all it could but the laws prevent them from enforcing auto aiming headlights. I still flash my high beams at the ones with ultra bright lights and make me feel like I"m entering warp 9 light speed. And I know I'm right. I see that they changed the lights on the 2018, and they don't blind. The problem is noted all over the forums, carcomplaints.com, and other sites. So the 2016/17 ones I will continue to flash them until they take that piece of shit back to the dealership to have the headlights aimed. I'm sick of being blinded! I just see it as the most disrespectful thing ever and it has made me hate Toyota now. They know about it too, but until someone dies it's all good.

Comment

Interestingly enough I was sitting in subway for lunch the other day and some new Toyota thing pulled up. While buddy was ordering i snapped a pic of this thing....

Buddy sat at the window seat next to me after I starred at this thing for 5min. And eventually I turned to him and asked "WTF is that thing?" lol. It looks hideous but has some cool things like auto power folding mirrors, all the electrical crap, heated front window, heated washer crap, etc. I think they use 3 small LED lights for the highbeam...?

He is a salesmen for Toyota up the road. The Acura sales guys look like 1950 mob hitman, but he didn't look like that at all. We talked about how Toyota doesn't have a premium edition or true Type-S anything, which is a shame. They slap some skirts on, give it a spoiler and it's now a type S.

I brought up the headlight issue and he made some interesting points. He noted that the law for auto-aiming headlamps which is not present in Canada is a big thing. And the other thing is that Toyota just plays off any complains or tells the user it was a 'glare issue', which was addressed in later models. But overall he didn't care about it and just laughed it off saying "ya, they are bright".

He asked what I was driving and I pointed at my Acura. He said.... "is that a 2014?" .... I said "2004".

Then i slowly let the conversation die....... as he asked if I was into SUVs

Comment

Really . On reddit i seen a car where the steering wheel spins around on its own. It was pretty funny. can't find it but here's another

That Hyundai probably needs a new EPS unit, I had to replace a $1.25 ring gear made of rubber that sits inside the EPS unit. It eventually wore out overtime to the point where you could feel like the steering wheel was so loose you'd think it would have fallen off.

You'd think they would have come up with something made of metal instead.

Interestingly enough I was sitting in subway for lunch the other day and some new Toyota thing pulled up. While buddy was ordering i snapped a pic of this thing....

Buddy sat at the window seat next to me after I starred at this thing for 5min. And eventually I turned to him and asked "WTF is that thing?" lol. It looks hideous but has some cool things like auto power folding mirrors, all the electrical crap, heated front window, heated washer crap, etc. I think they use 3 small LED lights for the highbeam...?

He is a salesmen for Toyota up the road. The Acura sales guys look like 1950 mob hitman, but he didn't look like that at all. We talked about how Toyota doesn't have a premium edition or true Type-S anything, which is a shame. They slap some skirts on, give it a spoiler and it's now a type S.

I brought up the headlight issue and he made some interesting points. He noted that the law for auto-aiming headlamps which is not present in Canada is a big thing. And the other thing is that Toyota just plays off any complains or tells the user it was a 'glare issue', which was addressed in later models. But overall he didn't care about it and just laughed it off saying "ya, they are bright".

He asked what I was driving and I pointed at my Acura. He said.... "is that a 2014?" .... I said "2004".

Then i slowly let the conversation die....... as he asked if I was into SUVs
                        Toyota CH-R I've only seen a handful of these since they came out late last year. I don't really get the appeal tp them, I think more or less it was made to compete with the Honda HR-V but honestly I'd take the HR-V over this any day of the week..the whole look of it just looks way too obnoxious.
                        Henry R
                        Koni/Neuspeed
                        1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                        1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                        Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                        made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Agreed, looks like the idea came from the movie cars or transformers.

Comment

I kind of like them. It has certain Prius-like douchebaggery to them.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

If they looked like that i may like it too. But that is far from OEM.

Comment

Working...
                              X