Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Has anyone seen this amp before??? *PICS! + AUDIO SET-UP*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone seen this amp before??? *PICS! + AUDIO SET-UP*

So here's my question...
    Has anyone heard of a Powerhouse 2.5 made by Earthquake of SanFrancisco?

Im almost certain this model is discontinued, but I bought one for $50 from a guy off of CL. It has definitely been worth the money..

I can't seem to get any solid info on it.. I read somewhere it may be an 800watt RMS 2-channel amp (Definitely feels like it..) but im not sure. On the back of it, it has a diagram that shows a configuration for "mono application"; which is how i have it wired.

It has a two knobs to adjust equal loudness, one in the 45hz range and the other in the 12Khz range; a Filter Setting knob from 20Hz to 5Khz and a gain knob to adjust for a weak head unit (I have my gain knob barely turned up at all). It does have a warning that states the gain knob should never be turned past the "12 o'clock" mark... I've turned it up to about the 10 o'clock mark and blew a fuse.

Im running this "800w RMS" Earthquake Powerhouse 2.5 amp to a 12" MTX Audio Thunder 6000 Series in a ported box tuned to 33mhz with a Clarion CZ109 50w x 4 head unit.

The sub is a dual VC at 4ohms each, so i've only wired up one coil since the diagram shows only one coil at 4ohms when wired for mono application. (Don't wanna fry my amp..derrr)

All in all, this set-up has served me well and is very loud when i want it to be. Even with only one coil wired up, this shit bumps! I do plan on upgrading to a mono-block class-D amp, wiring up both voice-coils and using a cap sometime in the near future... but i was wondering if any of you well educated Audiophiles had any info for me.. whether it be on the amp itself or any tips or suggestions as to how i have it wired up or even suggestions on other equipment that may improve upon what i already have..

Thanks for reading!

oh yeah, here; i'll throw in a pic of my CB..Don't hate! i know im monster truckin'

Form.Follows.Function

30 amp fuse... 14.4 volts x 30 amps = 430watts at normal 70% efficiency that is under 400 watts rms..

Comment

Oh, well that's not too bad, i'd say. Im somewhat new to this and that math is something im not familiar with at all.. Thanks for the heads up!

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

I've heard of the name, watched a video of some sound competitions and some guy had like 10 of those, but bigger amps. Don't know if it's a good brand or not, but they seem to get the job done and hold their own.

Comment

Cool man...was it on youtube?

This thing is freakin' tuff! the case is like almost 1/4" thick on the top and sides.. thicker on the fins obviously..

When it wasn't mounted, it got thrown from one side of my trunk (which has no carpeting or anything soft in it at all, just bare metal!) to the other and kept on keepin' on, no problem! It's never overheated, shut off, or even gotten hot to the touch...ever.

I think it's a great amp for $50.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
            30 amp fuse... 14.4 volts x 30 amps = 430watts at normal 70% efficiency that is under 400 watts rms..
            this right here is correct

Comment

Yeah the video is on youtube but yeah I'd have the same problem with my subs sliding around in my trunk to so I mounted 1 of my amps to the sub box and other to the back of the rear seats. Currently I don't have any subs in my car which I miss dearly cause I want to get my sub molded into the trunk so when I'm hitting sharp corners I won't have to worry about the box sliding.

Comment

Originally posted by onelivinlarge View Post
                this right here is correct
                Uhm, ok, thx....did anyone refute that?

Originally posted by Restless View Post
                Yeah the video is on youtube but yeah I'd have the same problem with my subs sliding around in my trunk to so I mounted 1 of my amps to the sub box and other to the back of the rear seats. Currently I don't have any subs in my car which I miss dearly cause I want to get my sub molded into the trunk so when I'm hitting sharp corners I won't have to worry about the box sliding.
                Browse this forum bro! theres tons of ways members have secured their ICE. The point is just to secure it, so there are a million ways of going about it and you could probably find what you need layin' around the house...but it might not be too pretty

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Don't mount the amp on the box unless your going to mount the box to the car

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

that switch that says bypass ... set it to the left and it will sound 100% better ...

You have it set on high pass right now, for bass you want low pass...

put the filter setting at the 10 clock position...

re wire both coils in series and then connect the positive and negative wire you have left on the amp bridged (like you have it now on the amp)

and you will get a 4 ohm mono load on the amp, which will make the amp work a lot more efficient (less heat, wont blow the fuse anymore) and you will be getting the full potential out the speaker by using both coils...

and your bass will sound 100% better after you tune it ...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by kapone View Post
                      that switch that says bypass ... set it to the left and it will sound 100% better ...

re wire both coils in series and then connect the positive and negative wire you have left on the amp bridged (like you have it now on the amp)

and you will get a 4 ohm mono load on the amp, which will make the amp work a lot more efficient (less heat, wont blow the fuse anymore) and you will be getting the full potential out the speaker by using both coils...

This is exactly what i was waiting for..

Thankyou.

Tomorrow after work i'll give this a shot. Can you explain the proper procedure to wire both coils in a series, please? Electrical is not my strong suit..

And are you sure about turning up the filter setting that high? My box is tuned to 33mhz, so i figured where i have it would be close to that. Is there something wrong with that idea? What are the benefits of turning it up to the "10 o'clock" position?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.
                      Last edited by islandhopper; 04-01-2011, 01:00 AM.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by CBsevenTUNER View Post
                        This is exactly what i was waiting for..

Thankyou.

Tomorrow after work i'll give this a shot. Can you explain the proper procedure to wire both coils in a series, please? Electrical is not my strong suit..

And are you sure about turning up the filter setting that high? My box is tuned to 33mhz, so i figured where i have it would be close to that. Is there something wrong with that idea? What are the benefits of turning it up to the "10 o'clock" position?

Thanks again for your help, it is much appreciated.
                        series wiring take 1 piece of wire and connect the negative from one coil to the positive of the other... take another single wire and connect the positive you have left to the positive of the amp. take the another single wire and connect the negative you have left to the negative of the amp. thats it ...

here is a link for diagram if your more of a visual person
                        http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/wo...1&I=42#results

As far as the "10 clock" position. Its guess to where the 80hrz cut off looks to be since the dial is very vague (personal experience subs sound better at 80hrz and lower)... Now the fact that the box is tuned to 33 hrz does not mean it doesn't play other notes, it just means it plays that one 3 db's louder ... (i'm not very well versed in ported boxes, but this has been my experience from talking to experts through the years. If i'm wrong please some one correct me)

If you like i can give you a simple way to tune it so you don't blow anything....

To let you know I've been doing audio install for over 16 years, most of those professionally, and now I only do it on a personal basis...

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

Originally posted by kapone View Post

If you've been installing audio systems for 16 years you should realize that would be 8 ohms mono

Wire it to 8 ohms mono
                          Fiddle around with the bypass switch
                          should make all the difference in the world.
                          Or maybe not, but to me it looks like you're losing a ton of power having the switch set that way

And yah, I wouldn't run the subs up past about 80 Hz. With a good set of speakers you could drop that to 60 Hz. But guessing where the 80 Hz mark is on that amp would be nearly impossible. Unless you wanna play around with test tones and a multimeter for hours.
                          Last edited by Sarthos; 04-01-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarthos View Post
                            If you've been installing audio systems for 16 years you should realize that would be 8 ohms mono

Wire it to 8 ohms mono
                            Fiddle around with the bypass switch
                            should make all the difference in the world.
                            Or maybe not, but to me it looks like you're losing a ton of power having the switch set that way

And yah, I wouldn't run the subs up past about 80 Hz. With a good set of speakers you could drop that to 60 Hz. But guessing where the 80 Hz mark is on that amp would be nearly impossible. Unless you wanna play around with test tones and a multimeter for hours.
                            your right... I stand corrected...

I was thinking 4 ohm stereo not mono... but unfortunately with that amp and considering you don't want 2 different signals going to 2 different coils on the same speaker, this is his only choice to wire it properly...

how do you loose power by setting the by pass switch correctly..?
                            one thing has nothing to do with the other (power/frequency)

the way the picture is shown its set to high pass, its running his sub, it should be set to low pass...

Comment

That's what it looks like, but if that is high pass I don't see how it's making any sound at all. That switch might be bass ackwards and have the high and low pass switched. Or the crossover may not function.

Comment

Working...
                              X