No announcement yet.

"Tuner" scene Ranting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wasn't about posts. He was almost always terribly condescending, but that's not enough to warrant my wrath. I'm plenty condescending myself at times.
    My issues had to do with numerous leaky, ill-fitting headers (universally blamed on owner/installer error), one severely off-spec camshaft (multiple communication attempts ignored), one "stage 2" camshaft that was discovered to be a bone-stock a6 camshaft (multiple communication attempts ignored... and the European customer was out over $1,000 usd.) Finally, I answered a request by Bisimoto to resume doing business here with a request for a small discount for cb7tuner members. Bisimoto agreed, and quoted prices that were HIGHER than those listed on the website. After that, I was done.

Comment

The import tuner scene has changed.

It used to be camaraderie, with maybe a bit of "us" vs "them" for import versus domestic vehicles, but still, people were excited to see anything modified.

Nowadays it's all half hacked together vehicles for Internet style points. The sad thing is that with the price of the classic "tuner" Hondas, the average person who buys the car cannot justify spending high end part money for a car that isn't worth it.

The tuner scene is dying, I think. I'm noticing that the 4wd / Jeep world seems to be mirroring the import scene from the early 2000's, which is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        It wasn't about posts. He was almost always terribly condescending, but that's not enough to warrant my wrath. I'm plenty condescending myself at times.
        My issues had to do with numerous leaky, ill-fitting headers (universally blamed on owner/installer error), one severely off-spec camshaft (multiple communication attempts ignored), one "stage 2" camshaft that was discovered to be a bone-stock a6 camshaft (multiple communication attempts ignored... and the European customer was out over $1,000 usd.) Finally, I answered a request by Bisimoto to resume doing business here with a request for a small discount for cb7tuner members. Bisimoto agreed, and quoted prices that were HIGHER than those listed on the website. After that, I was done.
        I can post a link to a guy contacting him about broken welds and being a licensed welder explained that the work not only was it subpar but also the material used; Bisi's response was something along the lines of i can get them welt better for an extra grand if you like, which is not the response you want when you spent almost $1500 for "custom made" headers. Then there is the situation of cams out of spec or stock cams being sent out and the custom made pistons not being so custom made.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

too bad youre so far away. I couldve used some fab work on the hondas a while back lol. but keep at it. dont give up.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            The import tuner scene has changed.

It used to be camaraderie, with maybe a bit of "us" vs "them" for import versus domestic vehicles, but still, people were excited to see anything modified.

Nowadays it's all half hacked together vehicles for Internet style points. The sad thing is that with the price of the classic "tuner" Hondas, the average person who buys the car cannot justify spending high end part money for a car that isn't worth it.

The tuner scene is dying, I think. I'm noticing that the 4wd / Jeep world seems to be mirroring the import scene from the early 2000's, which is fun.
            I dont know if you have noticed that those well behaved honda guys became 240 guys? Or was it just a coincidence with most of the old guys i knew? I have somewhat been lucky that i am a car enthusiast instead of a fan boy for any badge that always allowed me to be taken under by the Muscle guys, then i got my Z28 and i walked away from here but drove my CB everyday keeping the Chevy for special occasions. Almost a 5 years later i came back much more mature and educated thus becoming the guy that gets aggravated at simple questions because people refuse to look. Then i believe we also have to discerne between the guys who build and those who buy a cheap kit together and slap it on for as long as it last; the difference is that a builder spends time researching and trying to decide what method will work best while trying to prove his own theory wrong, the other group simply types www.ebay.com with a card at hand and expects respect without knowing how anything he installed really works.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I think following Speedhunters and The Chronicles, with their super high quality builds, has killed a lot of my enthusiasm for real-world street project cars. I go to local tuner shows, and there are maybe one or two cars that I think are really worth giving more than a passing glance. I know showing support for knock-off products hurts the scene, but I still hate how I have such a negative view towards cars with trendy or "cheap" mods that still look good. Some people are just in it for the social points, but it should be about all of us enjoying cars together.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Basically, I'm becoming a hater and am embarrassingly aware of it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                  I dont know if you have noticed that those well behaved honda guys became 240 guys? Or was it just a coincidence with most of the old guys i knew? I have somewhat been lucky that i am a car enthusiast instead of a fan boy for any badge that always allowed me to be taken under by the Muscle guys, then i got my Z28 and i walked away from here but drove my CB everyday keeping the Chevy for special occasions. Almost a 5 years later i came back much more mature and educated thus becoming the guy that gets aggravated at simple questions because people refuse to look. Then i believe we also have to discerne between the guys who build and those who buy a cheap kit together and slap it on for as long as it last; the difference is that a builder spends time researching and trying to decide what method will work best while trying to prove his own theory wrong, the other group simply types www.ebay.com with a card at hand and expects respect without knowing how anything he installed really works.
                  Maybe overall, but around my neck of the woods tuner cars are gone and it's all Jeep Cherokees in various states of poor modification.

I went from Honda to Subaru, and then got out of the Subaru world when it became flat brim vaping stance guys. I went to a few meets and the caliber of people there were not people I felt like I wanted to become friends with.

Of course, now with the Vette it's a whole other ballgame. I definitely don't fit in with that crew. I like the car a lot, though. I spend most of my time on TacomaWorld, although it sucks no longer having a modified truck, so I keep pictures of my old one in my signature for Internets points.

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                    Basically, I'm becoming a hater and am embarrassingly aware of it.
                    Just older and wiser. Cut springs with plug and play HID kits and sticker bombed hoods doesn't do it.

A lot of modifications I thought were "cool" when I was younger I just laugh at now. I like aesthetically pleasing cars, but when they're all form, no function, it doesn't do it for me.

I still want Brian's Supra from the first FnF movie, so no one's perfect.

Comment

I live in the land of wranglers on 36" plus wheels meh. There is function there but still. There is a kid who works next to me with a cb stanced out, lays frame with the rims outside the fender and tires inside. I think it's pretty awesome. He recently added a wing made of license plates and I'm glad to see he is still at it.
                      Only function this car has is the wtf effect and I love it.
                      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

I've always wanted a change and to try another brand. And if I do it won't be because I hate the car it will be because I hate what kids have made Honda's into. On my street I have 3 teens/guys who drive Honda's and between them and their friends it's nothing but disrespect at all hours of the night. Fart can city and downshifting is a must at 2am! All neighbors are pushing to have speed bumps installed on my road. It's really sad. Not that i didn't do the same when i was 17, I just didn't do it around my home. It doesn't help that these kids live with mommy and daddy and money doesn't seem to be an issue.

Makes it really hard to my car around and not get labelled the same.

Comment

You should definitely try a different brand. Nothing wrong with that. The E46 scene for me has been pretty chill...mainly a bunch of people asking "What does this light on my dashboard?" mean or grilling people who want to slam their car with cheap coilovers. There is a TON of support for the chassis, DIYs, mods, everything. I think that it will eventually suffer the cheap car fate as the barrier to entry is much lower now. The only thing is that you HAVE to know how to turn a wrench or go broke. That filters out a lot of the kids and less experienced people.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

youre going to find cheap people in every category, how do you think rich people became rich?

ill spend 20k on my engine setup and only 50 bucks for a grant steering wheel. Overall, i cut down on my side work and only do jobs that can make me money...
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long to come back in.

Yes, there is a correlation between being young and being a entitled little shit.
                              Is it a hard and fast rule? No.
                              The thing that almost guaranteed bad behavior had to do with how "internet famous" kid was. If he had a nice IG account, and he felt he shouldn't have to wait 7days for his parts to ship- he would go online and talk about how ODB( hubby) was a theif, and his 10k followers get in on that sweet circle jerk action.

To being selective of your clientele; if you have so much business from people you know that you can pay your bills off of them, every month, by all means, get a shop. That's wonderful. It's also not how it works IRL.
                              Ideally, for your shop, your cars aren't returning all the time. They get fixed/built and run well. You will need to source more work, all the time. This is nessisary to paying bills.
                              If you are like us- and live a cash life- having a household and a shop to finance without going into debt- is not ideal.
                              You will need loans if you are unwilling to back out before taking on debt- which is what we did.
                              We didn't leave purely because of that- hubs and I might not have stayed together if it had kept going, so stressful was that life.
                              He went back to a company he doesn't like (poorly run), but for more money, and while he's not "happy" per se, it's still better than being pissed on by a 20year old with a tax return.

I love the cb family. It's welcoming and unpretentious. Y'all are why I participate at all. I started here to be able to fix/maintain my car, and ended up an enthusiast. There is no higher praise for a community, Imo.
                              If I wasn't here, I wouldn't be out there. I don't care about the scene at large, having seen what I have. I care about owning my wagon for 10-15+ years, and loving it. Loving to walk up to it in a parking lot, love driving it, love looking at it.

I love the crazy looks I get, when I tell people I went the whole way to Cali to get it.
                              The scene can suck it.
                              Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

If there's any indication as to how much the car scene has changed, the Civic Type-R has definitely opened that can of worms wide open.

I've never seen so much displeasure and hatred spewed about a brand and a car (think Apple vs. Android).

I was blown away by the fact that people couldn't even appreciate the car from a purely performance standpoint and simply judged it by the fact that it was a Honda (as if that's a bad thing).

I'll never understand brand bashing, but I also consider myself a true enthusiast and very open minded to new ideas.

I was worried that car scene would all but disappear after the Great Recession, but it was morphed into a narcissistic feeding frenzy where having the latest and greatest is respected far beyond the classic ground up build. Hell - people are buying cars simply because they're different, not knowing what the they just bought!

I will treasure the close friends I made back in the day when people appreciated your taste and didn't judge you based on the value of your ride.

Perhaps that is the lasting appeal of this forum and its members...
                                14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Working...
                                X