Front brake upgrade: 17CL15VN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake upgrade: 17CL15VN

I am going to upgrade my front brakes. After doing the h22 swap I feel at times I might need a little more stopping power.
    So I have done some research and concluded that I am going to use the 17CL15VN caliper. I was going to get it from a 93 legend. However they had a 97TL and it had the same caliper with the same 23t bracket.
    My questions are looking at the calipers It looks like I will have to swap the sides L for R or put the bleeder screw on the bottom. Since this is a single piston caliper I assume It makes no difference If I switch sides. Is this correct.
    Or I can mount it on the correct side and lift up the caliper to bleed it.
    Is this correct?

Next question has to do with the 23t bracket. I plan on using the 94 vigor rotors with this bracket. The vigor was HOR just like our accords so this should just be a direct swap.
    Correct.

Is there any advantage to using a 25mm rotor over the 23. I think the only difference is 2mm thickness if I understand correctly.

thanks

steve

you wouldnt be able to bleed the brakes with them swug up off the rotor.
    get these

Russell 639610 Speed Bleeders
    Theyre awesome, you back them up like normal bleeders, go in your car and pump your brakes a few times, cinch them back down and youre done

Comment

Accord to this link that caliper is the same as an accord wagon rotor....

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2765190

97-01 ITR,
      97-99 CL V6,
      91-95 legend,
      96-98 rl,
      95-98 tl,
      92-94 vigor,
      95-02 accord v6,
      91-97 accord wagon,
      97-01 crv,
      95-01 odyssey,
      92-96 prelude vtec
      & 97-01 prelude
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I have a vacuum pump. And I remember reading that loisracer did this with his calipers. They were legend 2 piston but the same principle.

But those aren't that expensive so I may look into them.

thanks

steve

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
          Accord to this link that caliper is the same as an accord wagon rotor....

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2765190

97-01 ITR,
          97-99 CL V6,
          91-95 legend,
          96-98 rl,
          95-98 tl,
          92-94 vigor,
          95-02 accord v6,
          91-97 accord wagon,
          97-01 crv,
          95-01 odyssey,
          92-96 prelude vtec
          & 97-01 prelude

That is what I thought. But when i put them next to the car they seemed upside down.

Maybe I had them reversed.

steve

Comment

The '91-'95 Legend, '96-'98 3.2TL and '96-'04 3.5RL all use those calipers. It mount them on the back side of the knuckle. Therefor the bleeder is on the opposite side. It is completely fine to swap them around to orient the bleeders like you want them.

The 23T bracket will be problematic with the rotors you want to use, though. The "23" in 23T indicates that it should be used on a 23mm rotor. For a 25mm thick rotor you'll need a 25T bracket. I've posted in a few threads extensive lists of where the parts can be sourced.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yes. Now that you Mentioned it I did take them off from the back of the caliper. I forgot that and that explains why they will need to be swapped.

Why will the 23T bracket be a problem? By my research the vigor rotors are 23mm. The vigor caliper I took off first had the 23t bracket. The only reason for getting them from the TL was it was newer.

I have read just about every thread on these brakes. I was pretty sure I had all this down.

steve

This is the rotor.
              http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata..._12040030.html

23MM thick. I don't know if this is the exact rotor I will use but it has the specs so you can see the numbers.
              Last edited by Stoner51; 02-17-2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah, you're fine. You explained it pretty clearly in your first post so I don't know how I missed that you were using a Vigor rotor. I actually read it, clicked reply, did something else and came back to a few minutes later so maybe I just forgot.

Anyway, you're good with that setup. For daily driving there is no conceivable reason to use a 25mm-thick rotor over a 23mm. It will help to reduce brake fade but for what you'll experience on the road every day the 11.1" rotor is already overkill.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks. Hopefully will get this done sometime in the near future.

steve

Comment

Working...
                  X