Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Help!!! Boosted my h23a3 and it's blowing blue smoke!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!! Boosted my h23a3 and it's blowing blue smoke!!!

I know something is wrong with my motor. Ok my setup is h23a3 motor all stock, t3 t4 turbo 57trim, 450cc dsm injectors, 255 walbro pump, obd1 chipped ecu, egr block plate, 10 psi boost. I know 10 psi is way to much for a stock motor. Just wondering why it is blowing blue smoke. I think my piston rings are going. I did a compression check and 1,3,4 are above 100 and number 2 is only at 95. I am wondering if it's possible for me to change the piston rings on my own or just get another motor. I dont really know much about doin internal work on the motor. Also I would like to know what's the best way for me to keep my motor running strong. All in all, I want to try to work on it myself... Thanks.

Originally posted by beyonddalimit View Post
    I know something is wrong with my motor. Ok my setup is h23a3 motor all stock, t3 t4 turbo 57trim, 450cc dsm injectors, 255 walbro pump, obd1 chipped ecu, egr block plate, 10 psi boost. I know 10 psi is way to much for a stock motor. Just wondering why it is blowing blue smoke. I think my piston rings are going. I did a compression check and 1,3,4 are above 100 and number 2 is only at 95. I am wondering if it's possible for me to change the piston rings on my own or just get another motor. I dont really know much about doin internal work on the motor. Also I would like to know what's the best way for me to keep my motor running strong. All in all, I want to try to work on it myself... Thanks.
    I vote busted ringlands.

Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Compression test of only 100 across the board? That motor is toast, you should be pushing 175 minimum across all cylinders. (That's for a new f22a), since you have an h23 it should be even higher.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
        I vote busted ringlands.

plus one for MY vid!!!!!!!! thanks dj!!

also have you drivin it or did you buy a turbo kit put it on and started it and it just smoked right off the rip.or was it driving and you pushed it and then noticed it started to smoke?

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
          plus one for MY vid!!!!!!!! thanks dj!!

also have you drivin it or did you buy a turbo kit put it on and started it and it just smoked right off the rip.or was it driving and you pushed it and then noticed it started to smoke?
          Saw this and instantly thought of your vid man!

Comment

ANY boost is too much for a stock motor.

Comment

Well I installed turbo kit, it ran fine. Then after awhile it started to show blue smoke. Their is no chattering or pinging sound coming from the motor. Jus only valves tapping. Compression are above 100. I have to go double check on it again.

Comment

Originally posted by beyonddalimit View Post
                Well I installed turbo kit, it ran fine. Then after awhile it started to show blue smoke. Their is no chattering or pinging sound coming from the motor. Jus only valves tapping. Compression are above 100. I have to go double check on it again.
                A leak down test would be better....

Comment

You've broken a ringland. That's what happens with stock Honda cast pistons under boost. That's what happens to EVERY stock block boosted H or F series engine, assuming the rest of the build and tune was done correctly.

Comment

take the turbo off and start it if it still smokes time for a new motor if not than you have a bad turbo.

my new turbo build

Comment

These are h23 piston that saw 8 psi daily for 2 years. Cylinder #2 recently went it was 80 with a wet compression test and the rest were about 120. And it has busted ring-lands.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

There ya go. That's pretty much the EXACT same symptoms, same motor (basically), and broken ringlands.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          There ya go. That's pretty much the EXACT same symptoms, same motor (basically), and broken ringlands.
                          O'yeah forgot to add that smoke is coming out from the Pcv valve and the other vent tube which was suppose to connect to intake piping but I put an air breather filter.

Thanks all!! For the replys. I guess I might jus build it if it's worth saving.
                          Last edited by beyonddalimit; 04-12-2012, 10:32 PM. Reason: For got to add sentence

Comment

Keep in mind... FRM sleeves will seriously limit your piston options, if they're not already damaged. Resleeving will make your block bulletproof, but it's not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              You've broken a ringland. That's what happens with stock Honda cast pistons under boost. That's what happens to EVERY stock block boosted H or F series engine, assuming the rest of the build and tune was done correctly.
                              I ran 14psi on a junyard stock f23a4 with 140k on the board. Its mostly in the tune then depending on how much psi your shoving down its throat and the trim of the turbo. Sold that car 3 years ago, still runnin boosted to this day. So you cant say EVERY lol, not saying your wrong with the broken ringland which i will deff put money on that its missing a good chunk of it. Feel bad for this guy tho, deff sucks. gl man

Comment

Working...
                              X