Worn Valve seals cause bad MPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worn Valve seals cause bad MPG

I have been trying ot hunt down a bad mpg problem for a while now and i realize i most likely have bad valve seals. Never thought about this or even checked them, but am sure they are most likely worn if not worse. I made another post about this problem a month ago and was wondering if this could be the cause of things. FOr a while i thought it must be a vacuum leak but have checked and checked to find none. Here is the link to other post http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...90#post3279890
    I am having the head replaced soon with a refurbished one. AM also thinking of rebuilding entire engine. Wanted to know yalls opinions about this issue with mpg.

You mentioned you were low on compression and had bad rings. This would be your main cause of bad mpg's.

The worn valve stem seals will cause you to burn oil on startup after the car has sat for 8+ hours.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
      You mentioned you were low on compression and had bad rings. This would be your main cause of bad mpg's.

The worn valve stem seals will cause you to burn oil on startup after the car has sat for 8+ hours.
      the compression tests were 140 dry/160 wet so rings aren't all that bad i guess.
      Compression is low but still above minimum. I still get good gas mileage on highway so i don't think it is the pistons and rings causing this.

Comment

Working...
      X