ENG: CEL & ABS Custom Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: CEL & ABS Custom Wiring

I wrote this a while ago. It's on the www.eastcoasthonda.org site.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone. I got an idea a while ago and finally got around to doing it. I know I can't be the first person to think of this idea, but I've never heard of, or seen, anyone else do it before so I figured I would.

This will work on any honda that uses the 2-wire jumper to flash the CEL (Check Engine Light). This mainly means OBD1 cars, but some of you OBD2 guys might wanna do this too for basic code retrieval.

Goal: to be able to display DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) quickly and easily.

Assume your check engine light comes on while you're driving. You can basically either ignore it and keep on driving like nothing ever happened, or pull over and stick a paper clip into the jumper connection to find out the code. The second option is the best one. However, I wanted one step better. My CEL jumper connection is pre-wired to a single pole (2-wire) switch. When the switch is off, it does not make a connection to the two wires. When it's on, it "simulates" the act of you sticking a paper clip to jump the 2 wires and therefore will make the CEL flash any current codes. This also will make the ABS light flash current codes if any codes are set in the ABS module. When you've finnished getting the codes, simply flip the switch back to off and the light will stop flashing the codes, however, the CEL will remain on solid until proper repairs are made and the ECU is reset (disconnecting the battery).

You are able to pull codes at any time the key is in the ingition and turned to the on position. That includes while you're driving. That way, you can pull codes while you're driving, as they happen by simply flipping the switch.

Let me stress this:
    YOU CANNOT SCREW UP THE WIRING OF THIS!!!!

It doesn't matter which wire connects to which terminal of the switch. It will work any way you wire it. Just make sure one wire goes to one terminal on the switch, make sure the other wire goes to the other terminal on the switch and make sure the two wires are secure and will not to short out to ground down the road (will cause your CEL to come on and stay on all the time). I'd suggest soldering or using good crimp connectors. Run the wire out of sight and make sure it will not interfere with moving parts (such as the A/C and heater control cables).

With switch off, CEL stays on solid if there is a DTC, or does not come on if zero codes are set:

When the switch is turned on, the CEL will flash any current codes. If there are no current codes, the CEL will come on and stay on solid until the switch is cut back off:

In the past, I've personally spent more than 20 minutes looking for a paper clip or wire or ANYTHING I could find to use as a jumper. Not to mention the fact, that I had to pull over to check the codes in the first place. Wiring this switch up and making it functional took less than 10 minutes total and allows the ability to check for codes at any point in literally less than a second.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Here is the jumper conection locations and code pulling instructions for most Honda vehicles (courtesy of www.troublecodes.net. If you cannot find yours, ask other members from this board and they might be able to help you find it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Retrieving Codes

With ignition off, insert jumper wire in service check connector terminals, located behind right side of dash on Accord, Civic and Civic Del Sol and near center console on Prelude.
    Turn ignition switch to ON position. Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) will be indicated by a series of long and short flashes on MIL.
    The number of long flashes indicates the number in the 10s column. The number of short flashes indicates the number in the 1s column. For example, 4 long flashes followed by 3 short flashes would indicate DTC 43.

Image used with permission Copyright ? 2001 ALLDATA LLC.

Clearing Codes

Disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 10 seconds to clear codes.

Accord, Civic, CRX, CR-V, del Sol, Odyssey & Prelude

PGM-CARB

If the PGM-CARB warning lamp is lit, turn ignition On, pull passenger side carpet inspection flap downward under instrument panel and observe LED on top of control unit. The LED indicates a system failure by its blinking frequency.

The control unit LED can indicate any number of simultaneous component conditions by blinking separate codes, one after another.

If DTCs 7, 9, 11, 12, 13 or any higher than 14 are indicated, count the number of blinks again. If the indicator is in fact blinking these DTCs, substitute a known good control unit and inspect again. If indication goes away, replace the control unit. The PGM-CARB warning lamp and control unit LED may light, indicating a system problem when, in fact, there is a poor or intermittent electrical connection. Clean or repair connections as required.

PGM-FI Exc del Sol, Odyssey, 90–98 Accord, 90–91 Prelude 2.1L,
    92–98 Prelude & 91–98 Civic

In the event of a PGM-FI system electrical malfunction, an instrument panel mounted indicator lamp will light and stay lit. If the lamp is on, or if a system malfunction is suspected even though the lamp is off, it is necessary to inspect the electronic control unit LED display. The LED display is on the ECM (ECU), which is located just below the RH side of the instrument panel. The indicator lamps operate whenever the ignition is On and a DTC is stored in the ECM (ECU) memory.

When an abnormality is detected the ECM (ECU) display blinks. The LED blinks a certain number of times, with the number of blinks indicating the number of the DTC. After the LED blinks a number of times there will be a two second pause and the LED will blink out the number of the next DTC.

90–95 Accord Four Cylinder, 90–91 Prelude 2.1L, 92–95 Prelude & 91–95 Civic

If the malfunction indicator/Check Engine lamp remains lit or lights while the engine is operating, the ECM has detected a malfunction and has stored a DTC in its memory. To access the DTC memory, connect a jumper wire between the check connector terminals. On Accord and Civic models, the check connector is located under the RH side of the instrument panel. On 90–91 Prelude models equipped with 2.1L engine, the check connector is located in the engine compartment. On 92–95 Prelude models, the check connector is located in the passenger compartment behind the center console.

On all models, turn the ignition On. The ECM indicates stored DTCs by flashing the malfunction indicator/Check Engine lamp. DTCs one through nine are indicated by individual short blinks. DTCs 10 and above are indicated by long and short blinks. One long blink is equivalent to 10 short blinks. The DTC can be determined by adding the long and short blinks.

95–97 Accord V6 & 96–97 Accord 4 Cyl.

If the malfunction indicator/Check Engine lamp remains lit or comes on while the engine is operating, the ECM has detected a malfunction and has stored a DTC in its memory.

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located in the center console behind the ashtray. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

To access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located under the passengers side of the instrument panel. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 95-97 Accord V6 & 96-97 Accord 4 cyl. In Console.
    Service check connector location. 95-97 Accord V6 & 96-97 Accord 4 cyl. Passenger side, up under glove box.

98–01 Accord

If the malfunction indicator/Check Engine lamp remains lit or comes on while the engine is operating, the ECM has detected a malfunction and has stored a DTC in its memory.

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located under the drivers side of the instrument panel. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 98–01 Accord Drivers side, up under RH side of dash.

96–01 Civic

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located under the drivers side of the instrument panel. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

To access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located under the passengers side of the instrument panel. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 96-01 Civic Drivers side, up under RH side of dash.
    Service check connector location. 96-01 Civic Up underneath dash on passenger side, below or behind glove box.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

CR-V

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located behind the righthand side of the center console. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

To access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located behind the righthand side of the center console. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. CR-V Behind passenger side of console, below dash to the Right of glove box.

Service check connector location. CR-V Up underneath dash on passenger side, below or behind glove box.

96–97 del Sol

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located on the righthand side of the center console behind a removable cover. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

To access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located under the righthand side of the instrument panel. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 96-97 del Sol Behind passenger side of console, below dash to the Right of glove box.

Service check connector location. 96-97 del Sol Passenger side, up under glove box.

Odyssey

On 96–01 models, to access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located behind the righthand side of the center console. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

On 95–98 models, to access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located under the righthand side of the instrument panel. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 96-98 Odyssey Behind passenger side of console, below dash to the Right of glove box.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 99-01 Odyssey Driver's side, up under RH side of dash near the console.

Service check connector location. 95-98 Odyssey Behind passenger side of console, below dash to the Right of glove box.

96 Prelude

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located under the center console beverage holder. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

To access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located behind the front console. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 96 Prelude In console between seats.

Service check connector location. 96 Prelude Up under Driver's side of the dash, on ht eright near or behind the console.

97–01 Prelude

To access the DTC memory using a scan tool, connect the Honda PGM Tester or an OBD II scan tool to the 16-pin DLC. The DLC is located on right side of center console behind the access cover. Turn the ignition On and begin troubleshooting as indicated by the tester, following its prompts to diagnose the error. If unsure how to operate the scan tool or PGM tester, refer to the tool user’s manuals for specific operating instructions.

To access DTC memory using the MIL, connect the SCS service connector to the SCS check connector. The SCS 2 pin connector is located on right side of center console behind the access cover. Place ignition switch in the On position begin MIL flash code diagnosis.

Data Link Connector (DLC) locations. 97–01 Prelude Behind passenger side of console, below dash to the Right of glove box.

Service check connector location. 97–01 Prelude Behind cover on the passenger side of console.

~enjoy

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

good stuff, ive only gotten one CEL though
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i did it first hehehehe

when i put the h22 into the EX last fall, i cut off the blue plug, hooked up male and female quick disconnects, then on the plastic kick panel i mounted a flat switch (same as the ones on the backs of PC power supplies) with matching connectors - so flip the switch to pull codes, if the kick panel is removed (often missing for long periods of time while swapping out ECUs) then you can just connect the two hanging wires together since they are opposite quickdisconnects.

good idea to put it in that blank panel, but i dont plan on getting that many CELs... and when im done with my secret dash, i wont have that blank panel anymore anyway

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
          Current cars:
          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

What can I say...great minds think alike

I knew I wouldn't be the first one to do this....but no one else seemed to post anything about it so I figured I would.

I tinker with my car all the damn time and it seems like CEL's come on at the worst possible time (driving in heavy traffic). I wanted the switch easily accessible while driving.

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Working...
            X