Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just when you think you're catching a break...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just when you think you're catching a break...

I came home last night to a fire in the room I'm renting. Fortunately, I keep my door closed, so the house is mostly undamaged, but I lost pretty much everything I own. My initial rough guesstimate is about $15-20,000 in losses. About all I have left is 3-4 days worth of clothing and my car.

Before everybody gets all boo-hoo on me though, I'm looking at this as a good opportunity. I just got rid of a lot of shit I never used (and wasn't sure how to get rid of) and the insurance company is going to pay me for it. It also means a lot of stuff that I had that was semi-working and/or old is going to be replaced. This is a fresh start for me. I'm probably looking at a really nice new laptop, new camera, new clothes, new bed, new head unit for the car (had the head unit and two amps in there - they're now in the front yard in the snow) and probably enough left over to do the bodywork and paint the car, and maybe buy a plow vehicle for next winter. On a side note, though...it's amazing how fast everything you own can be gone. Everything I own is one single fused black mass on the floor of my room, or out in my front yard soaking in the snow.
    ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
    '93 EX 5-speed coupe
    Short ram intake
    Tenrai Himoto catback
    Smashed front end
    Random bits of deer blood & hair

Darn. You took it on the chin

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
    Honda Accord Euro-R
    Honda Odyssey Absolute
    Honda City I-DSi
    Honda Stream

Comment

Glad you made it through alright. You are blessed.
      "I'm a dude playing a dude, disguised as another dude"
      "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Romans 10:9
      ><((((º>

Comment

What caused it?
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Insurance....love em, hate em.

glad you are okay.
          DEVOTE

Comment

What about your camera gear? That's what I'd be worried about the most.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
              My initial rough guesstimate is about $15-20,000 in losses.... the insurance company is going to pay me for it.
              Wow, good thing you had rentors insurance! That's gonna be a lot of new stuff.

Glad you're okay buddy!

1999 BMW M3
              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy
                What about your camera gear? That's what I'd be worried about the most.
                x2...and who goin 2 pay for the room?.....and where are u goin 2 sleep now?
                but at least you are okay.
                MY YOUTUBE Channel Plz Sub for the Support thanks

^^^ Click for the Link ^^^

Comment

Wow, good way to take it.

With an attitude like that, you're gonna make this situation a blessing in disguise. Good stuff.

Comment

damn man.. i am glad you ok.. the good things is INSURANCE... i had a similar event happen to me about 3-4 years ago.. the house burnt down.. all i had was my wagon and sedan and a pair of boxers and my family. So just start over.. its not hard to do ... just time consuming !!

Originally posted by Devergote
                    A CB7 with an H22, a clean paintjob, HIDs with a projector retrofit, some nice wheels, and a mild drop on H&R Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks... that's the perfect car. I'd be happy with that for the rest of my life.

Comment

Damn that sucks to hear. You got all your camera equipment jacked???

The New-ish Ride
                      My old Ride
                      Hear my Vtak!!!
                      MK3 Member #3
                      I piss off people for fun.
                      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

damm thats crazy...post some pics??

Originally posted by deevergote
                        Yay. You're an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Camurai
                          I came home last night to a fire in the room I'm renting. Fortunately, I keep my door closed, so the house is mostly undamaged, but I lost pretty much everything I own. My initial rough guesstimate is about $15-20,000 in losses. About all I have left is 3-4 days worth of clothing and my car.

Before everybody gets all boo-hoo on me though, I'm looking at this as a good opportunity. I just got rid of a lot of shit I never used (and wasn't sure how to get rid of) and the insurance company is going to pay me for it. It also means a lot of stuff that I had that was semi-working and/or old is going to be replaced. This is a fresh start for me. I'm probably looking at a really nice new laptop, new camera, new clothes, new bed, new head unit for the car (had the head unit and two amps in there - they're now in the front yard in the snow) and probably enough left over to do the bodywork and paint the car, and maybe buy a plow vehicle for next winter. On a side note, though...it's amazing how fast everything you own can be gone. Everything I own is one single fused black mass on the floor of my room, or out in my front yard soaking in the snow.
                          sux man, good thing no one got hurt, only irreplaceable items were lost, and your looking at it from the bright side.
                          So SIIC...

SoCal OG bitches...

Comment

True I would be pretty mad if I was in your shoes.

The New-ish Ride
                            My old Ride
                            Hear my Vtak!!!
                            MK3 Member #3
                            I piss off people for fun.
                            IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

It's just stuff after all. The important thing is that everybody is OK and the house is structurally sound. The only real damage was in my room. My DSLR and 50mm f/1.4 lens are going to need to be replaced, along with A LOT of electronics, about $4,000 worth of clothing, all my CDs and DVDs, my Eclipse head unit, two amplifiers...listing everything I lost and putting a price on it is going to be the hardest part. It's going to take a lot of work.

Looks like the cause is a heating pad that was left plugged in by accident. The fire department's investigator says it looks like it slipped down at the foot of the bed and got trapped in the blankets, overheated and caught the blankets. Fortunately, I keep my door closed, and the carpet makes a really good seal at the base of the door. The fire didn't get much oxygen, so it just smoldered for awhile, otherwise we would have come home to find the house burned to the ground.

We're currently staying in hotels and eating out because the smell of ash and soot is overpowering. Our policy covers up to $48,000 in loss of use.
                              ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                              '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                              Short ram intake
                              Tenrai Himoto catback
                              Smashed front end
                              Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Working...
                              X