Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Too much gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much gas?

I honestly am thinking that somethings going on with my my engine and my gas. Im not sure what it is but my car is using up more gas then my parents trucks. What could be the cause of it burning up too much gas? Would exhaust leak contribute to this at all? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

My New Ride
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=82630

have you ruled out all of the obvious by doing a full tune-up? what is your approx. MPG? that would help to diagnose the problem, depending on how much MPG you have been getting

Comment

Ive had the car for a good year and a half i think i can say. I havent done a tune up yet. I was thinking about doin that this summer didnt think it would really affect my gas. And im not sure about my approx. gas mileage. Whats the best way to figure that out?

My New Ride

Comment

spark plug
        incorrect ignition timing
        overheating
        o2 sensor
        carbon deposits
        bad ringland
        old oil
        vacuum leaks
        exhaust leak
        horsepower
        stupid, idiot tune(like my car was )
        beating on your car
        incorrect fuel pressure
        incorrect tire pressure
        incorrect suspension setting(camber, toe, etc.)

i think i covered everything
        "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

also how do you drive the car. like a normal person or...speed racer.

Comment

Now heres a list of what i know is ok cause ive changed it:
            overheating
            old oil
            Heres the thing you mentioned that must be a factor in this:
            spark plug
            o2 sensor
            bad ringland
            exhaust leak ( I have this)
            stupid, idiot tune(not so sure)
            beating on your car
            incorrect fuel pressure(I have a fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail but i donno how to adjust it. or what it should be at. When the cars on the Fuel Pressure regulator reads at 2. I believe)
            incorrect tire pressure
            incorrect suspension setting, lowered on coilovers with no camber kit

My New Ride

Comment

when you fill up reset the trip odometer....next time you go to fill up take the miles on the trip odometer and divide it by the gallons you just filled up with

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
              Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
              by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

Alright. I just filled up today so ill restart the trip odometer. thanks

My New Ride

Comment

Originally posted by Haccord21

Now heres a list of what i know is ok cause ive changed it:
                  overheating
                  old oil
                  Heres the thing you mentioned that must be a factor in this:
                  spark plug
                  o2 sensor
                  bad ringland
                  exhaust leak ( I have this)
                  stupid, idiot tune(not so sure)
                  beating on your car
                  incorrect fuel pressure(I have a fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail but i donno how to adjust it. or what it should be at. When the cars on the Fuel Pressure regulator reads at 2. I believe)
                  incorrect tire pressure
                  incorrect suspension setting, lowered on coilovers with no camber kit
                  ok then i'll break it down w/my knowledge, which is limited, still learning myself(oh, shit here i go, watch me now )
                  spark plug: bad plugs and incorrect gaps can cause misfiring, not enough spark, and hard starting and such

incorrect ignition timing: this is complicated but its basically the cylinders not firing and maximizing the fuel to burn right, so it would burn too early, too late, or not enough, preignition, detonation, etc.

o2 sensor: your ecu reads a signal from this and corrects the timing, fuel, etc. with this being outta wack, it would dump fuel unnessarily(like i had when i was going to daytona). you'd get a CEL for this though

bad ringland: low comp, not enough power, have to push it more to just to get average speed

beating on your car/tune: thats a whole 'nother ballgame

tire pressure/incorrect suspension setting: this can affect mpg ratings due to the car has to push itself to move(i.e.-low pressure, camber hella off, like a bike w/no pressure in its tires), also big ass rims that arent properly inflated also do more harm than good. also you said you didnt have a camber kit, this may add to it, no much but ehhhh.....will kill your tires though if its real low

if its adjustable, there should be a screw or somthing like that on the top to adjust fuel, dont know what stock ratings are but i think its like 40psi. if its stock then check your fuel pump, may be going out.

oh to add to the list BAD GAS and improper servicing
                  "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

"spark plug: bad plugs and incorrect gaps can cause misfiring, not enough spark, and hard starting and such"

Thats a problem that ive had for a while. prety much since i bought it.

"if its stock then check your fuel pump, may be going out."

One of the guys told me that if my cars having a hard time starting that i need to check the fuel pump. Told me to turn the key twice just before it switchs over and you start crankin it. I did it twice and he said if it starts right up after that then your fuel pump is going out. So now you stating this makes me really think my fuel pump is going out.

now for the tune i'm not sure if bracersi ever actualy got a good tune on this car or not. Would it really be worth taking my car to a shop to get it tuned if i really havent done anything to it?

My New Ride

Comment

i say you do the full tune up and go from there....
                      ngk spark plugs and wires
                      cap and rotor
                      fuel filter
                      pcv
                      airfilter
                      valve adjustment
                      bottle of fuel system cleaner
                      oil change
                      tranny fluid change
                      blah blah

and yeah a bad tune could make your car run really rich and just drink gas
                      My Members Ride Thread

Comment

Ight thanks. Im getting paid on the 5th so ill be able to do most of the tune up. Thanks guys.

My New Ride

Comment

Working...
                        X