Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

changing the Camshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing the Camshaft

I finally got an A6 camshaft from the junkyard from a 93 EX-R with 156 000KM for 26$. Now i wanna know if I can change that myself or need to do it at a shop... (Will i need timing after or something else i'm not equipped to do.)

I wanna know to if I need anything else than the camshaft or there some seal or gasket to change. ( I have my valve cover gasket kit.)

And at the same time, can I check if I have like bent valve or something wrong in the head.

THX

I don't know anything about camshaft swapping but I do know if you are swapping in an a6 cam then I'm assumeing you don't have an a6 so you will need the pt6 ECU (a6 computer).

Comment

The F22a6 untake manifold will also bennifit you.

Comment

Originally posted by croc-note
        I finally got an A6 camshaft from the junkyard from a 93 EX-R with 156 000KM for 26$. Now i wanna know if I can change that myself or need to do it at a shop... (Will i need timing after or something else i'm not equipped to do.)

I wanna know to if I need anything else than the camshaft or there some seal or gasket to change. ( I have my valve cover gasket kit.)

And at the same time, can I check if I have like bent valve or something wrong in the head.

THX

dont forget to get a cam seal for the new cam you put in. its very easy to replace the cam. you have to take the valve cover off then remove the valve retainer assembly or w/e its called lol

also if you want to check if your valves are bent, you will have to remove the head and you will need to put on a new head gasket.
        Last edited by jas_r34; 08-13-2007, 11:26 PM.
        Hold On Not Done Accelerating
        Had One Never Did Again

Comment

yeah, id invest in a torque wrench.

...adjust accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by LinX
            yeah, id invest in a torque wrench.
            x2 you really need it.

its quite simple. take off the valve cover. take off the timing cover and take the belt off the cam pulley. take off the distributor.

then unlosen the camshaft holder bolts. and take the cam out. replace it with the other the same way you took it out. then put everything back in reverse order. make sure you do a valve adjustment.
            miss my turbo cb7
            moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Originally posted by quickangel93
              x2 you really need it.

its quite simple. take off the valve cover. take off the timing cover and take the belt off the cam pulley. take off the distributor.

then unlosen the camshaft holder bolts. and take the cam out. replace it with the other the same way you took it out. then put everything back in reverse order. make sure you do a valve adjustment.
              you make it sound really easy. yet, it is pretty simple. I did not use a torque wrench though.
              The beginning of a new era............................
              165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
              184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

Originally posted by jhondayaaj
                you make it sound really easy. yet, it is pretty simple. I did not use a torque wrench though.

it is easy. when i started mechanics class, about 3 weeks into it, i was tearing up chevy engines.

you need to torque these down:

miss my turbo cb7
                moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

Here's what you do first of all:
                  Make sure the bottom end is at TDC, Take out sparkplug number one and stick a screwdriver into the hole, Then turn the crank pulley until the scewdriver starts moving up, When it gets to the top and is just barely about to start moving down STOP. Take off the distrubitor cap and check the rotor if its pointing to number one plug wire.

If everything checks out move onto loosening the timing belt tentioner.

The tentioner is a 14mm bolt right in the middle of the lower timing cover above the crank pulley. Then after you loosen it, Push the timing belt off the camshaft pulley.

Now mark the distrubitor with a marker so that everything lines up and you dont have to do timing. ANd remove dizzy.

Now loosen the rocker arm bolts from the middle out in a cris cross position. Remove the rocker assembly after all the bolts have been removed. And replace the LOWER tube seals while you are there.

Remove old cam, Put in new cam, I find it easier to slip the timing belt over the new cam before putting the rocker assembly back in. Then after the belt is on the cam pulley, put the rocker assembly back on. Make sure that the marks on the cam pulley line up horizontal with the head, Then torque everything down and you should be done.

Comment

Working...
                  X