am i crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am i crazy

so i was watching tv "some show on sandwiches on travel channel" so my question is would you order food that had to be shipped from another state?
    whats stuck in my head is that it wont be as good as eating it there but it still should be good.

Like ordering smoked turkeys from Texas?
    Or like me telling my buddy to bring me back a cheesestak from Philly, 15 minutes away from my house?

Comment

close.... white house special from white house subs around the corner from you...

Comment

Wait, Deev! Did you order one?!
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

what's so special about smoked turkeys from Texas?

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
            Wait, Deev! Did you order one?!
            No, but you made me want to! I might this year

Comment

When I lived in Alaska we had a ham sent to us for the holidays from Florida.

Comment

Can't be much different than McDonald's, or any other fast food joint that has food shipped to them.

Did you know that only 15% of a McDonald's Hamburger patty is actual meat? The rest is fillers, byproducts and the infamous "Pink Slime."

Pink slime is the code name for Ammonia treated beef, that is "lean finely textured beef," a low-cost ingredient in ground beef made from fatty left over meat trimmings from other cuts. Pretty gross if I may say so myself.
                Last edited by dysfunk; 02-04-2013, 12:05 AM.
                92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
                  Can't be much different than McDonald's, or any other fast food joint that has food shipped to them.

Did you know that only 15% of a McDonald's Hamburger patty is actual meat? The rest is fillers, byproducts and the infamous "Pink Slime."

Pink slime is the code name for Ammonia treated beef, that is "lean finely textured beef," a low-cost ingredient in ground beef made from fatty left over meat trimmings from other cuts. Pretty gross if I may say so myself.
                  how about their chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                    how about their chicken?
                    the McNugget is 56% corn. But apparently there are 38 ingredients to the chicken that they serve. haha, I'm researching more on the chicken.

"The ingredients listed in the flyer suggest a lot of thought goes into a nugget, that and a lot of corn. Of the thirty-eight ingredients it takes to make a McNugget, I counted thirteen that can be derived from corn: the corn-fed chicken itself; modified cornstarch (to bind the pulverized chicken meat); mono-, tri-, and diglycerides (emulsifiers, which keep the fats and water from separating); dextrose; lecithin (another emulsifier); chicken broth (to restore some of the flavor that processing leeches out); yellow corn flour and more modified cornstarch (for the batter); cornstarch (a filler); vegetable shortening; partially hydrogenated corn oil; and citric acid as a preservative. A couple of other plants take part in the nugget: There's some wheat in the batter, and on any given day the hydrogenated oil could come from soybeans, canola, or cotton rather than corn, depending on the market price and availability.

According to the handout, McNuggets also contain several completely synthetic ingredients, quasiedible substances that ultimately come not from a corn or soybean field but form a petroleum refinery or chemical plant. These chemicals are what make modern processed food possible, by keeping the organic materials in them from going bad or looking strange after months in the freezer or on the road. Listed first are the "leavening agents": sodium aluminum phosphate, mono-calcium phosphate, sodium acid pyrophosphate, and calcium lactate. These are antioxidants added to keep the various animal and vegetable fats involved in a nugget from turning rancid. Then there are "anti-foaming agents" like dimethylpolysiloxene, added to the cooking oil to keep the starches from binding to air molecules, so as to produce foam during the fry. The problem is evidently grave enough to warrant adding a toxic chemical to the food: According to the Handbook of Food Additives, dimethylpolysiloxene is a suspected carcinogen and an established mutagen, tumorigen, and reproductive effector; it's also flammable.

But perhaps the most alarming ingredient in a Chicken McNugget is tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ, an antioxidant derived from petroleum that is either sprayed directly on the nugget or the inside of the box it comes in to "help preserve freshness." According to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives, TBHQ is a form of butane (i.e. lighter fluid) the FDA allows processors to use sparingly in our food: It can comprise no more than 0.02 percent of the oil in a nugget. Which is probably just as well, considering that ingesting a single gram of TBHQ can cause "nausea, vomiting, ringing in the ears, delirium, a sense of suffocation, and collapse." Ingesting five grams of TBHQ can kill."
                    2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

McD's has supposedly stopped using pink slime, and according to an article I just read, the McNugget is supposedly all chicken. I kinda doubt it.
                      http://thestir.cafemom.com/in_the_ne...out_pink_slime (found in a google search.)

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        McD's has supposedly stopped using pink slime.
                        I just read that! I figured I would continue my research.

Source: McDonald's stopped using Pink Slime
                        2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

I think it depends on if it is something you can only get from somewhere. I had a buddy bring me one of his 5 Ib strawberry cheesecakes from 2 states away for my wife's birthday last year. He makes a homemade cheese cake that is amazing and he hand picks all of the strawberries.

Comment

Sure I would.

Now the real question here is would you be pissed if you ordered a rueben and they gave you a pile of beef, beef brisket, pulled pork, 2 portions of country fried steak, a pair of buffalo chicken wings all piled 18" tall with a pickle on top?

Because I would be fucking stupid angry over that, and all the time I am watching that show and some asshat shop makes a sandwich that is completely fucking outrageous.

I'd be pissed if someone handed me that when I was expecting a hot ham and swiss. Those sammiches are ridiculous.
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I'd love it if I purposely ordered an outrageous sandwich. There's a place near Rutgers that sells absurd sandwiches like that. But that's their thing. That's why people go there!

Now I kinda want a reuben with brisket...

Comment

Working...
                              X