Brakes for 25T calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brakes for 25T calipers

Okay, so I'm doing the ROH conversion on my cb9. Of course whatever idiot who owned the car before me had on the 10.2" rotors with the cb9 calipers (very odd wear pattern they left on the old brake pads... Seeing how a good chunk of the pad never even touched the rotors).

Anyway, I got to the point of getting my rotor. Since I have the wagon which already has 25T brackets, I was about to get the rotors for a 99 3.0 Acura CL, which apparently uses the 25 mm rotors. Then of course I read the specifications and saw 'Nominal Thickness: .91"'. It only takes about 2 seconds to realize that .91" is 23 mm. In fact, the rotors for the Odysseys which are supposed to be 28 mm are also just 23 mm thick. And in addition to that, it seems that all the brackets that they sell are 25T brackets, regardless of what vehicle it is. In other words, O Reilly's, Napa, Autozone, Pep Boys, virtually every company out there is not selling their customers the right sized parts. Apparently they made one mold for brake rotors and decided that would be good enough for all cars. Or they figured that extra little bit of metal would be too expensive

Now, as soon as I read this crap how every manufacturer is making 2 mm undersized rotors (5 mm undersized if you drive an Odyssey, my parents (collective IQ: 7) started jumping on me about how obviously that's how they're supposed to be made cause otherwise people would notice and sue them out of existence and blah blah with their retarded crap. But, is it a good idea to just shut them up and run my 25T brackets with these 23 mm rotors? Even though they're supposed to be 25 mm? I'm getting bitched at to no end for not having had the ROH swap done within 4 minutes of starting it. So yah, am I likely to survive with the brackets being 2 mm larger than they're supposed to be? I can't get a hold of the right brackets anywhere at the moment, everyone is too stupid to sell the right stuff and I need my car back without spending more time I don't have trying to get it together.

You can buy caliper brackets from Rockauto.com. That's where I bought mine.

It is best to run the right caliper bracket with the right rotor.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

I bought my 11.8" rotors off of eBay and when I measured them they were 28mm thick like they were supposed to be. However, they also said that in the ad when I bought them.

Anyway, I'd say that's a little upsetting. I would order from RockAuto just to be safe. Everything I've gotten from them has been top notch and had plenty of dimensional information listed in the description.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

According to Rockauto, apparently both the CLs with the 25T brackets and the Odysseys with the 28T brackets use 23 mm thick rotors. What the hell? Did Honda screw up and throw the wrong brackets on these cars or does every manufacturer apparently suck?

Comment

What year Odysseys are you looking at? The '95-'98 Odyssey used 25T brackets.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ah, the newer Odysseys are correct. The old ones though it shows with 23 mm rotors for their 25T brackets :/
            At any rate, nobody is selling the CL rotors at the right thickness.

OR is this forum just wrong in their statement that the 3.0 CL even uses the 25 mm rotors? Cause it looks like maybe the 97 uses 25 mm rotors that are HOR but the 98 and 99 might use 23 mm ROH?
            Last edited by Sarthos; 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X