Winter biking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter biking

I've recently gained the ability to ride at night, in the winter, safely.
    However, it's cold as shit here.

Any other bikers have suggestions for winter wear?
    I realize I'll need gloves, but I'd like specific recommendations for products that you've used.
    The temperatures might even get cold enough to where I need to shield my shoes from the piercing wind and cold temperatures.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Layer.

Craft makes some pretty good stuff that is windproof on the front and allows you to sweat on the back(its vented).

I like craft but sometimes they are hard to find. I think the best advice would be to layer. If you get too hot take it off and pack it somewhere.

I've yet to find a pair of gloves that keep my hands warm. If it is below about 45 I tend to ride my trainer.

steve

Comment

Layering seems like a good idea, but I forgot to define one other requirement:
      I'd like it to be as light an as streamlined as possible.
      During the summer I wear biking shorts. I had considered long legged biking shorts, but I don't think they'll provided the heat/wind protection needed.

For gloves, I do remember walking through REI and inspecting their gloves (pre well paying job, no money).
      They had them laid out depending on how cold the weather you'd be riding in was.
      Under 50 or 55, I usually wear a pair of garage gloves I bought specifically for this purpose.
      I tuck them in to my windbreaker (which I seem to have lost) and they do a good job of keeping out the wind.
      Above 40 is my current requirement for biking, but I've lost weight and am not as cold tolerant as I used to be.
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Yes. I don't like thick biking gear either.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/cr...Y0NhdDEwMDMwNw

I have this. but mine is about two years old. On top of this I have a specialized jacket or I wear my under armour thermal shirt and a short sleeve bike jersey.
        pants I wear my desoto 400 mile bibs and long UA or nike Winter pants(tight). I also have a pair of leg warmers That are very warm I wear under the pants if its cold.
        I do have a pair Of shoe covers as well. They go over the shoes and zip up.

Comment

Working...
        X