What do blown shocks sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do blown shocks sound like?

I'm pretty sure I have at least one blown shock, but I'd like some definite confirmation before I start replacing them.
    • When I do the push up and down test, the results seem normal.
    • When I hit large bumps at speed (like uneven road getting on a highway) it seems like my car shifts horizontally along the road.
    • I just replaced my sway bar and a lower control arm. They were cracked where they connect along the link
    • When I turn left at speed, I hear a rattling. When I go back straight, it stops.
    • I see no worn components. The ball joints have no play, and the tie rods seem firm.

I can get Quick Struts for about $140 a side. Autozone is offering a 15% off deal until midnight tonight, so I'm going to be doing some last minute inspections on my car tonight to see if I can justify pulling the trigger.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

is there any fluid on strut? if it seems stiffer then usual when you push down on it it is blown for sure
    " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Is the noise a rattling or a click? may be the axles boots are busted and the bearings are going out.
      Procrastination is a THIEF of time!!

MY MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203992

My First CB7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705233/1990-honda-accord/

Comment

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
        is there any fluid on strut? if it seems stiffer then usual when you push down on it it is blown for sure
        I'll have to take a look. I have a feeling it might've been blown for a while, and is just now making the noise. If that's the case, then any sign of fluid is probably gone.
        How do you define stiffer than usual?
        Originally posted by dahubby View Post
        Is the noise a rattling or a click? may be the axles boots are busted and the bearings are going out.
        It's defintely a rattling. I've replaced both axles before, and I know what they sound like when they go bad. Same for the bearings. Defintely not a noise indicative of either of those.
        MRT
        37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
        30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
        27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
        Originally posted by Tippey764
        I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
        Originally posted by deevergote
        sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
        X