Rusty Power Steering Lines - Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rusty Power Steering Lines - Options?

So recently I replaced my PS pump and I guess the process of bleeding air out of the system must have shaken some rust loose and uncovered a pinhole and I'm leaking fluid from the line that goes directly from the rack to the reservoir. The other 3 lines look like they are not long for this world, I ordered a replacement high pressure line, seeing how that's the only one still available, while its not leaking yet, it probably will soon.

Now as for the other 3 lines, What can I do about these? I know another member, Erik, Suggested that I get bundy tubing, double flare it, and bend it to the correct angles. I'm not sure I have the skills to do that gracefully and do it without it leaking. I also dont know where to get bundy tubes.

I have seen people with flexible hoses running to their custom power steering systems, not on cb7's in particular though. I was wondering if such an option exists for us, and if anyone has done it.

I also noticed the 3 other lines seem to be low pressure lines, I was thinking of just cleaning the rust off as best as I can, and replace the highly rotted out sections of the lines with rubber hoses and clamps. Not sure if this is the best idea though...

Last edited by AmTeC; 04-04-2018, 02:30 PM.

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

posted in your other thread regarding this

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
    3/8" bundy tube (double check size), double flare tool, tube bender and cutter, reuse the nuts if you can. and use the old lines as a template for bending your new ones.

Comment

I would just replace the leaking low pressure line. I've never seen a high pressure line go, they are usually enforced better as they have such high pressure.

If you are not sure how to repair them I would get a shop to do it.

Comment

Just in case you don’t know, 3/8 bundy pipe is like a larger version of what people usually make brake lines out of. So what Erik is saying would be the cheapest option, and probably most reliable. Plus, you’ll have 20’ left over to dick around with.

The hardest part would be those rusted to shit flare nuts. Chase those threads regardless of what you do.

Comment

You need someone in the southern US to pull a good set.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
          X