Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6-20+21-09 hyperfest @ summit point, wv

http://www.hyper-fest.com/

come on out and watch the honda challenge race featuring a very fast honda accord going at it with a field of civics and integras.
    1990 accord Honda-Challenge, H22 powered
    newer race video,older race videos
    1991 accord parked, parts and back up shell
    1993 accord acquired 6-11-16

Sorry you missed it but hyperfest was great

I cant believe just a month ago there were not any h2 cars registered for the event and we all came together to make it happen. I was very happy to see so many hondas on the track for the race as well as a couple more in hpde almost ready to race.

This was probably my best showing so far in my racing "career". I had made some recent changes to the car and it showed, the old "big cam" f22 was out and in went the h22. I debuted the motor at barber a couple weeks ago, but without any in class competition I was still unsure about how much faster I would be.

Well after this weekend I know, I know I should have done this years ago. This car has some serious oontz. I qualified second in class and third overall saturday putting me right behind the very fast integra of Richard Hunter. The green flew early as most of the field was just coming onto the front straight. I had a great view of the starter and was hard on the throttle as soon as he waived the flag. To my surprise I was pulling in the lead car, and I was going to pass him before T1.

I had the lead with Hunter breathing down my neck for the first few laps while I was driving hard while trying to ensure I didn't give the lead away making any mistakes. I had pulled a small gap by the time we got into lap traffic and I made sure I continued pushing hard while being patient and making clean passes. After what seemed like the longest time (despite my stopwatch only displaying 23min) I saw the white flag come out at the starter stand. I was glad to see that I only had to make it around one more time. And that was it I completed the last lap with just over 1.3 seconds back to second place.

video here http://www.vimeo.com/5267566

Sunday started out just as nice with a overall poll by almost a full second. Until I stopped on pit road due to traffic and saw the temp gage over 3/4 up, I shut the motor down. But when traffic was released from the pit road back into the paddock I couldn't get the car to start. I had to be pulled back from pit road with a overheating car that would not start on its own.

Back in the paddock I popped the hood to find a wet radiator and full overflow bottle, luckily it was only the cap and not the radiator as I had first expected. But none of the HC racers had a spare cap that fit my stock radiator, they all had either aftermarket radiators, the older honda design, or the newer honda design. Well somebody had to have what I was looking for there probably was just enough time to run into town and get one from autozone, but there was just as good a chance of me getting a ticket and not making it back in time.

I turned my search outside of the HC area and saw a beautiful black ef civic, they came out around the same time as my accord. I crossed my fingers and approached E-AT_me about checking to see if his cap would fit and if I could borrow it for the race. He was happy to let me borrow the cap and it was the right one, I warmed the car again double checking that nothing else was leaking. Now I only had the problem of the starter switch. We could jump the starter motor with the hood up, but I was going to be in big trouble if there was a red or black flag as with no radiator fan the car would need to be shut down to avoid overheating. Mr Oldt came to the rescue accepting my offer to be chief starter motor operator both in the paddock and once they gave the five minute call on pit road.

It was a frantic couple of hours between qualifying and the race. I had just enough time to get changed and take a couple of deep breathes to calm myself before jumping back in the car.

The race started and was going well for me too as I had a great start and pulled a decent gap on the field. But ten laps in I headed down to T1 for the last time. As I was on the brakes the steering wheel developed a bad vibration, the car did not want to turn, and then moments later I had no acceleration. Root cause of the failure is still tbd, but I will begin the tare down tonight.
    video will also be up tonight for sunday's race

Thanks to everybody and I do mean everybody there, I had such a great time despite the problems, and so many congrats on the strong showing on saturday. Its almost like Im dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      6-20+21-09
      = (-2)

1999 BMW M3
      2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
      2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
      2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

anyways I have more good news I only broke the axle, I dont need to pull the trans to check the internals or the clutch.

Best broken axle ever, only bc I first thought it was the trans

Comment

Im sorry to revive an old thred but it's only a few threads down the list and this is my first time seeing this section.

I remember watching you. I was at my shop's booth all day. Too bad I didnt know you needed a rad cap we had about 4 honda's there that day, but good to hear you got one. Will you be at Hyperfest this year, I will have to stop by and say hi this year. Hyperfest was alot of fun and it was awesome watching a CB7 lead the pack, I kept giving my friends $h!t because they were wondering why an Accord was racing against Civics and Integras. Glad to see everything went well..... except the for the broken axle. See you this year, hopefully.
          1990 Accord four door EX + JDM H22A + JDM LSD H22 trans: Born 08/01/2003 - Killed 11/12/2008

1992 Accord four door LX + JDM H22A = New project.

Comment

Great driving man! what happened on Feb13 http://www.vimeo.com/9636274 @3:02

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
            DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Originally posted by olock13bt View Post
              Im sorry to revive an old thred but it's only a few threads down the list and this is my first time seeing this section.

I remember watching you. I was at my shop's booth all day. Too bad I didnt know you needed a rad cap we had about 4 honda's there that day, but good to hear you got one. Will you be at Hyperfest this year, I will have to stop by and say hi this year. Hyperfest was alot of fun and it was awesome watching a CB7 lead the pack, I kept giving my friends $h!t because they were wondering why an Accord was racing against Civics and Integras. Glad to see everything went well..... except the for the broken axle. See you this year, hopefully.
              I am hoping to be back for hyperfest, something else is broken again though so Im not sure

Originally posted by The-Gr8-Ox View Post
              Great driving man! what happened on Feb13 http://www.vimeo.com/9636274 @3:02
              That was the differential bearings being old and worn out, that caused the diff to move in the case and that spits out the axles. I didnt have time to order and install the new bearings yet so I re-installed the accords original trans.

I just added new videos from this past weekend at road atlanta, you can really see the difference between the h23 vs f22 gearing.

Comment

Well my shop is about 45 minutes down the road from Summit Point so if you need a lift or anything feel free to let me know while you are there. I have an h22 accord so if you need anything I can help the cause and we can take parts off of mine.

How was Road Atlanta??? We were there in our Evo and Galant VR4 for the SCCA national.
                1990 Accord four door EX + JDM H22A + JDM LSD H22 trans: Born 08/01/2003 - Killed 11/12/2008

1992 Accord four door LX + JDM H22A = New project.

Comment

I will be at hyperfest, but at this point Im not sure if the car will make it. I have been trouble shooting some problems and still cant figure out what happened at RA, the car was strong until the last couple laps on sunday when vtec was cutting out, then it wouldnt pick up the high cam at all, and it wants to stall at idle speed too. I need a better trans before a big event like hyperfest or I will be fighting to stay out of last rather than to stay in first.

The truck has been having problems recently too and fixing or replacing that is a necessity to go racing, $$$$$

But thanks for the generous offers, I really hope I can make it back up there for the races and meet some fellow accord peoples

Comment

Working...
                  X