Heli-coil seat mounting repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heli-coil seat mounting repair?

So I decided it was time to get the Accord back on the road, step 1 full interior clean up. Removed the seats to get all the broken glass out of the car (Right door glass got broken in my garage several years ago), pulled the carpet and center console etc to make sure I got it all. Installed a new OEM door glass and run channel, lubed the regulator and put the rest of the door back together. Putting all the interior back and get to the seat, nut in the floor is stripped out. My thoughts are to drill, tap, helicoil and get a new seat bolt. Will a helicoil be safe for a seat bolt? I like my wife so it would be good to do this correctly. I appreciate any advice. L8r
    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
    01-01-2019

I’d see if you can tap it first. If not, drill and tap a lightly bigger bolt. I personally don’t trust heli coils, but others may disagree. It’s a safety thing. you’re going to have to drill/tap anyway if you cant just clean up those threads.

Use a grade 8 or better bolt.

Comment

I wouldn't trust heli-coil for anything that could result in injury or death if it fails (and in a crash, you need that seat to stay put!) I agree with Chris. See if you can tap and use a larger bolt first.
      If that doesn't work, maybe seek the services of a welder. Weld up the hole and drill/tap anew.

Comment

I am leaning towards welding in a new nut and go from there. I manage a body shop so I have access to whatever I may need, I was just hoping for something I could accomplish now and scratch off the list. Thanks for the input, you both told me what I already knew, but didn't want to accept!
        Turbo H23a3 build has begun
        01-01-2019

Comment

Working...
        X