Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tranny Cable Snapped??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny Cable Snapped??

Hello this is my first post and sorry to say its about a problem...
    Please refer me to another thread if i missed a related topic but here goes...

-1992 ex 5spd
    -Bought it just over a month ago

Last saturday night, I was driving home on a highway in 5th gear going approx 65mph and decelerated to come into a turnpike toll booth. I attempted to downshift into 4th gear but seemed like the stick was jammed to the far right. I was forced to just use the brakes and pull off the side as i knew something was wrong and slowed till the car stalled out. I tried repeatedly to put the car into neutral but to no avail. The stick moved freely vertically (seemingly between 4th and 5th gear) but would not budge from the far right.

When I tried to start it the motor tried to turn over but would not start, only click repeatedly, as if it was in 5th gear.

AAA towed the car to my house and now it sits.

The next day, with the shift boot off, I took a look at where the cables attached to the shifter apparatus. I noticed that the right cable moved fine as the stick can move up and down but the stick would not move at all to the left (i.e. into neutral) and there was no movement in the left cable.

I jacked up the car and went underneath and looking at where the cables meet the tranny... one is attached straight on and firm with a standard OEM clip around the rubber covering on the cable. However, the other cable is limp, with a bend in it, as if only rubber was attached and the cable had broken or fallen off(?) and had a black plastic zip tie and some none OEM clip over the rubber.

Right now i plan on getting another cable from a junkyard and attempting to replace the "limp" cable (that obviously looks like it was tampered with before due to the PLASTIC ZIP TIE!) myself, hoping that will work.

BUT WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???
    -Did the cable fall off/snap?
    -Is this common?
    -What kind of fix will this require?

I have only worked on my 1995 Integra LS 4 dr with GSR swap and this is my first time dealing with a cable trans...

Thank you in advance for your input and advice...

Well yes, if the cable has a bend in it and is all mickey moused together, sounds like that would be the problem.

Comment

If it has an odd bend in the cable its not goin to find the gears properly

Comment

okay so the cables bad...

Can i trust a used cable from a junkyard to replace it?
        And I am still curious...Is this a common problem with the cable trans system?

Comment

.....Still looking for help. Kinda been procrastinating with it cuz i have a 4dr GSR but would still like to cruise in the CB7 and not let it rot away in the driveway.
          Any input would be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by 402Ryder View Post
            okay so the cables bad...

Can i trust a used cable from a junkyard to replace it?
            And I am still curious...Is this a common problem with the cable trans system?
            when you find one at the J-yards make sure you inspect the cable really good. And Im going to say that isnt a common problem. havent seen this problem on the site too often.

Comment

Happened to my 2nd CB the day I sold it. What a bummer

Replaced it with a new set of cables and kept it moving.

Originally posted by lordoja
              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Nice man.
                Did you do the work (how long did it take?) or did you have a shop replace the cables (How much $$$?).
                What sucks is i can't even drive it. I dont want to waste $$$ having it towed and fixed somewhere unless it would require some serious time/effort to finish.

Could you tell me a little more about the fix and what it entails?...I just don't want to dive into this blind as i've learned from experience to make sure you know what you're doing BEFORE you start :-/

Thanks again!

Comment

My cable is effed up!! What prelude cable can i use for the gear finder?
                  90 Panda DX F22A6

Comment

Working...
                  X