07 AV6-6 vs 1G TSX vs E39 540i/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

07 AV6-6 vs 1G TSX vs E39 540i/6

Ok gentlemen...It's time for a replacement (shudder) for my CB.

These are the three cars that have caught my eye and I plan on purchasing at the end of this week. I need some of yall's logic in my purchase decision. I have a 100 mile daily commute for now. The car has to be:
    Fun to drive. I should be able to wail on it at any given moment...maybe a bit of stock car Auto-X for car control learning.

Four door or Wagon body style. No coupes, I already have one coupe.

Quiet and solid feeling. My CB was essentially gutted, with exhaust and suspension clanks. This should be easy as any newer car should be leaps better.

Easy to work on. Cars break...it's inevitable. So I should be able dig in and fix small stuff in a weekends time. By small stuff I mean anything but transmission and engine rebuilds and/or replacements.

28-30 mpg highway. This is kind of the opposite of the fun to drive requirement and is more of a nice to have thing.

Mod potential. Eventually the car will be modified so it has to have a decent aftermarket.

Vanilla. What this means is that to the ordinary person, it has to look like an average car and would not get a second look. I believe that my CB didn't have enough of this.

10k Price limit

Ok, now to the cars:

1. 2007 Honda Accord V6 Sedan, Black on Black, Manual, 130k, 1-owner

So this one is at the top of the list. It's a Honda so I'm comfortable with it. It's a Honda so I know I can drive the piss out of it and not worry about too much breaking. It's a Honda so it looks like every other Honda. BUT this one is special...it has a manny tranny, with 4 doors and a v6. This one fits all of the requirements except the 10k Price limit. OTD, I'm looking at closer to 12k with tax,tag, title and all the little fees from a dealer. The car is nice with an extensive maintenance history and very few cosmetic issues, just a bit on the high side. If maintained in the same condition, I may be able to sell it with a minimal loss later on in life. I have test driven this one, and I know the potential of the J30 v6. Very nice car.

2. 2004 Acura TSX, black on black, A-spec kit, Dealer Maintained, 176k

This car I plan on taking a look at tomorrow. The interior reminds me of an e46. Fit and finish is good. It's got the famous K24a2 which is a tank as we know. Handling should be very good. It's a smaller car than the other choices with is good for a daily as it's more intimate. TSXs are rare on the road here, but they blend in very nicely imo. Nothing flashy, or gimmicky. Pure car.

3. 2002 BMW 540i, Silver on Black, v8 Manual Sedan, Rebuilt Title, 97k

This is a dream car of mine, or a car that I've always wanted to own. I love the looks inside and out. It's RWD with 4 doors and a stick. Did I mention it's beautiful? It really reminds me of the CB, just bigger and heavier. It has the BMW "image" which I really don't care about, but it's there. The previous owner took care of most of the major failure points in the cooling system and a lot of other maintenance items, but it still needs a bit more work. I'm a bit wary of the rebuilt title. The owner is asking only $300 more than the TSX for a helluva lot more car, imo. It's not too much that needs to be said about this one. I will hopefully be able to test this one today.
    Last edited by sonikaccord; 05-22-2016, 11:44 AM.

YouTube Clicky!!

I had an 07' AV6-6 Sedan for 2 years, great car. Clutch engagement was pretty inconsistent and vague (common complaint), but other than that, it was great. I got about 19mpg city (driving it pretty hard on my short 6 mile commute), and about 28-29mpg highway. It was always a blast to thrash on, never any lack of power, and the shifter was slick as butter. I had to get rid of it due to some knee issues, but I still miss it.
    Originally posted by sweet91accord
    if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

My vote would be for the TSX. Going from a 2002 Accord EX V6 to a 2003 Acura 3.2CL-S made it pretty evident the difference in material quality, features and refinement between very similar Hondas and Acuras of the same generation. I certainly like the facelift version of the 7th generation Accords better than the '03-'05, but think the TSX is a nicer car.

However, $10,000 will buy you a lot nicer car than a 2004. You can get 2008s for that price. Another $1,000 will get you into the 2nd generation 2009, too!
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Av6-6
        TSX
        E39

I'm pretty sure a CDV delete can take care of inconsistent clutch. My current commute consists of about 15 miles of city driving one way and the rest highway. During that 15 miles, I like to stretch the legs a bit and have a little fun. On the highway, I'm pretty much on chill mode. I can't stand Atlanta traffic and the drivers that do everything they can to pass you and only end up a car or two in front of you, stuck in the standstill like everybody else.

10k is a pretty good spot, but I'd prefer to spend less and save the rest in a rainy day fund. The AV6-6 is an exception due to the established maintenance history and 1-owner status of the car. There are a few other exceptions I'd make...

We are saving pretty aggressively for large house down payment in the next 1.5 years or so in addition to a few other bills we are trying to knock out. The less I have to spend, without buying an appliance car...I refuse to buy a newer Corolla/Camry/Altima or similar...the better. This car will be kept for quite a while >5 years so I want to make the best choice now without any regrets.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'd go for the accord.

The tsx just doesn't scream anything to me. The 5-series I would for sure check out. V8 manual luxury monster. I'd do everything possible to figure out exactly why it has a rebuilt title though.. You know, other than the obvious accident.

Price insurance on all of them too man. You know that Bimmer is gonna be pricey. My e32 cost as much as the Honda and Subaru combined.

Comment

The Bimmer is like $100 bucks or so more than the Accord for insurance per 6 months.

I literally just got back from test driving it too...I shouldn't have done that. It spoiled me in ways nothing else has. It's comfortable, it's powerful, it's classy and simple. I'm a fan. As far as the rebuilt title, it was hit in the rear quarter panel when the previous owner had it. It has been repaired to a damn good level. I couldn't tell where it was hit until it was pointed out to me where the paint had been blended. The current owner says the alignment checks out, and I would agree with him. No funny pulling or vibrations suspension wise.

I'm with you on the TSX. It's nice, but it doesn't give me any kind of warm fuzzies.

And now I have some more leverage on the Accord. All those bullshit fees? Nope, they can take all of it back. This is a good bit of info for everyone buying a car from a dealer. I hate dealerships.
            http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...s-not-so-fast/

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Get the Bimmer! Dude if it's what you want then you should get it. Just put some aside for when shit breaks. $100 isn't shit really. What like $15 a month more? I think that sounds good! Is it full coverage?

On a side note: can you look at my uneducated audio noob thread? I'd greatly appreciate it sir.

Comment

I LOVE my E39! Best car I have ever been in and I own it! But the late model V8s have a few more things you need to be aware of like the timing chain guides. Just be aware of the extra maintanence and everything will be fine. I can't describe how much I love mine. My buddy who has 3 Corvettes, GMC Sierra, Transam, and a Camaro wants to get a E39 for him self. I could go on and on about the features. Things I found out like pathway lighting where the headlights stay on forva few seconds so you can walk to your door, I think you can set a PIN in order to start your car, set the vents to turn on for 15 min at a selected time (great for when getting off work and its been a hot day). There is just so much to talk about.
                Last edited by XCRN; 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM.
                Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I would go for the TSX. Accord is too big/heavy, E39 540i is a time bomb.

I would also look at the 8th gen Civic Si. Probably the best modern replacement for an H22 CB7. I am prob projecting a little bit but I love my 8th gen EX. It's really a blast.

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

The BMW community is huge! I'm sure every problem that those cars could possibly have has been covered by them. And even with that knowledge...German cars scare me. Kind of an unjustified phobia.

I agree that the 540i is a ticking time bomb, only if it is neglected...and by neglected I mean anything and everything that has been noted to fail isn't replaced or checked...like the timing chain guides. Coming from my CB, replacing everything isn't a new concept.

I did briefly consider the 8th gen 4 door Si. The interior has to grow on me...it's different and I like my more upscale interiors hence the choices. If I find a STOCK one this week, I'll check it out. I vaguely remember taking one for a test drive years ago and was seriously underwhelmed...mainly because the salesman sucked and straight lines isn't this cars strong point. Might have to do a redo with this one.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Did you end up making a decision?

I'm a bit late to the party... but I think I'd throw my hat in the TSX ring as well. The high mileage is a bit of a concern, but the fact that it was dealer-maintained (and I assume has all records) is a plus. Maintained properly, high mileage like that shouldn't be an issue. Black on black is great, A-spec looks fantastic. It's a smaller, more agile car than the Accord. Good for auto-x. Smallest engine, which means better fuel economy and lower maintenance costs. If you mod, the K series has a massive amount of support.

The Accord is good, since it's from the original owner... The 6 speed and V6 make it quite fun. Wouldn't be a bad choice, but I think the TSX would probably be more fun. Especially if autocross is in the cards.

The E39 is awesome. I love them. I love most BMWs, honestly. But they scare me. The age of that one scares me. The rebuilt title REALLY scares me. RWD, BMW prestige, beautiful appearance, luxury ride with sportscar handling... all major points in favor of the BMW... but it's old, with a rebuilt title. I wouldn't get a car like that unless it was meant to be a second car, weekend driver, or project car. If you're going to rely on something for a daily 100 mile commute, I think a 15 year old BMW with a rebuilt title is a very risky option.

Comment

If RWD + sedan is a must, $10K buys a LOT.

$10K E90 328i, 105K

$9K E60 535i, 120K

$7K 04 G35, 130K

I don't know what the status of the titles are but the point is there are deals to be had.... that E39 is no bueno at all.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

From my experience, cars priced around $10-$12k tend to be the cars that are JUST about to turn into project cars. Often, they've hit the point where stuff is going to start failing, and the owners are getting out of them (or have gotten out of them, if being sold by a dealer) while they still retained some residual value.
                          When my wife's Mini was smashed last December, we initially considered a used car. Then we were looking for a certified preowned car under $14k. We ended up negotiating a decent deal on a brand new CR-Z. While neither of us is fond of having car payments, it's quite nice to have something fun to drive that is 100% reliable.

Might be worth a consideration... certified at the very least. You'll spend a bit more, and get less car... but you'll have something you can rely on. A fun car stops being fun when you're fixing it all the time!
                          I just sold my Fit, and I'm EXTREMELY uncomfortable having my 06 CTS-V with 118,000 miles as my only vehicle. It's not giving me any real problems at the moment, but if it breaks... I'm kinda boned. I haven't had just one vehicle for many years now, and I don't like being without a backup. If I had the option, I would prefer a newer reliable (if less fun) vehicle over an older and potentially unpredictable one.

Comment

Sedan/wagon is a must. RWD, not so much. I understand that I can get either a really great car or a lemon in this price range but I'm aware that whatever I get will need some work.

Ok, so I have tossed out the E39 (as nice as it looked, it's not the best decision) and the accord because 12k OTD is still more than what I would like to pay. Now the TSX is the current champ, and I have to bring in a new competitor...the Legacy GT Sedan/Wagon.

I understand the rarity but jeez...If he comes down to a more reasonable cost 7k ish it'll be a tough decision.
                            http://macon.craigslist.org/cto/5576847346.html

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

We bought a 2005 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed a few months ago and paid $3300 from a used car dealer. It had 176,000 miles and needed some work, but not so much that I would consider buying a nice one at $10,000. Assuming that car is immaculate, it's a $7,000 car.
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Working...
                              X