Bad Brakes = Bad ABS Modulator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Brakes = Bad ABS Modulator?

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying another CB7, the problem is that my friend who's selling it said that the shop told her she needed a new abs system. She says that her brake pedal goes to the floor when she pushes it down. So my question is that will a bad abs modulator cause the pedal problem like the shop says? Or are could it just be the master cylinder and the shop is just trying to get her rip her off. If it is the master cylinder, i can deal with that, but if its the modulator then I don't know if i will buy. They quoted her about 2 grand to fix it. And the only thing I can think of that would cost that much would be the ABS modulator (and i know how hard it is to service the modulator without going to the dealer). Your input please?

it's most likely the MC. A lot of people have had that problem on here before, where the pedal just goes to the floor, I havn't seen any cases where it was the ABS system at fault. So a new MC should take care of the issue. Unless is the ABS light on for some reason? If it isn't, then it HAS to be the MC.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks, that what I thought. But just wanted to make sure.

Comment

I have the same problem where the pedal is really low and has almost no pressure. I changed the master cylinder 3 times and still nothing. 4 shops told me it was the brake booster and one said it was the abs pump.. U might want to check the brake booser.

alone in this game . ::My Ride My Way::

Comment

yea the abs system is totally seperate from your normal brake system, if ur abs goes bad it has no effect on base brakes, meaning u will have brakes just no abs when u slam on it , ull just lock up the wheels
          -95 JDM H22 LSD-
          -HYTECH Header-
          -Skunk2 IM-

Comment

^^^yep the ABS & brakes a seperate. its kind of a fail safe thing.

did you see if she had a leak? look around the wheels for oily stuff(brake fluid). when I had a tiny needle sizes whole in my brake lines, it would leak when I stepped on the brakes. causing my pedal to sink lower and lower the longer I sat still on the road.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
            01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
            93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
            93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
            X