**URGENT** SAVE YOUR CB7's LIFE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**URGENT** SAVE YOUR CB7's LIFE!!!

Ok, this is sad, I guess I never really realized what a problem this was until recently. Lately, I've just been seeing a shitload of CB7s coming into the shop with blown-out countershaft seals. I'm talking like 2-3 a month! And 90% the time it results in the motor seizing up. As soon as that seal pops out, you have about three seconds to shut off the engine before its smoked. This seams to have become the second largest killer of CB7's Matter of fact, when I did my t-belt a few months back, as soon as I pulled off the lower timing cover I looked up at the countershaft seal and it was sticking about 3/4 of the way out! Anyway, my suggestion, go to your Honda dealer and buy the seal retainer and install it. Cheap insurance because it not so much a question of if.....but a question of when.
    Last edited by mrhonda; 03-15-2008, 09:54 PM.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

good to know. Mine is leaking I think :-/ but i dont have money to get a new timming belt n shit it sucks man

Comment

Could this be purchased from majestichonda.com? Reason I ask is going to the closest honda dealership is a big PIMA. I would much prefer to shell out shipping then go there...

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

so this is like an extra gasket that that you put on?

plus im pissed right now cause i backed into a snowbank and broke one side of my bumper.......fuck please condole me

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

you mean console? not condone I assume? anyway....POOR BABY....walk it off j/k

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
          where you been, is something wrong?
          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

it was a honda service bulletin years ago, honda sells countershaft seal retainers for about 3 dollars, i suggest u guys look into it....the thing that sucks is its like changing a t-belt. so if you dont do it yourself, i would suggest having your mechanic do it when he does your t belt and water pump service......if you've had it recently, check with whoever did it to see if one was put in.
            Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

I don't know if this is the same for my EDM F20A2.
              I'll check at my local Honda Dealer.
              My car is never been serviced at a honda dealership so i don't think it will have the retainer in it. But i better check it out..........
              No Honda There will be one eventually...
              1996 Volvo 960 2.5i 24v autotragic

Comment

I had my 90 EX 5-spd serviced probably like 10K miles or so, they replaced the timing belt, balancer belt, water pump, some seals, etc. I believe they did this one & most likely put that seal retainer, I'd have to check back on the invoice. I know these seal retainers are cheap.

mrhonda: First, thank you very much for the info. Second, don't we have two balancer/countershafts? Therfore, we would need how many seals and how many seal retainers in total? I'm definitely keeping this in mind for my project engine and doing it off the bat.
                HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

only the one on the upper left needs one, the other ones are fine for some oddball reason....
                  Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

That, my friends, is serious good lookin' out. I had no idea, and I'm about to get my belts done... That would be the suck to have that seal blowout.

Comment

great info, much appriciated. I'll go take a look at my countershaft seal today while i'm chaning the oil, flusing the colant and some other fun stuff

Again, Thanks.
                      2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
                      JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
                      My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

wheres the seal? can anyone post a pic?
                        plzzzzzz

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

its a brown seal around the front countershaft, pic is below. its the one around the shaft behind the gear in the bottom left corner of the pic, just above the "14521-P14-A00"... the OEM seal retainer is a crescent bracket that bolts to the 10mm dipstick bolt, and it holds the seal in place.

ive seen some motors that came with them, some that didnt, so if the car has been dealer serviced, theres a high chance that its been put in. and ive actually seen a motor with the seal partially walked out....

Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-28-2006, 10:28 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Good advice. Wasn't there a bulletin for this from Honda? I think when I saw it, it included 5th gens only. I've also heard of cases like this happening more to 5th gens. Any reason for that?

Comment

Sucks my gf's dad and me replaced my belts in sept, didnt noticed if it had a retainer or not hopefully nothing happens

My Cb bad, Cb bright and the cops can kiss my Cb lights - I’m gone!
                              Frost White Member 13
                              My Ride
                              "Girls are like a new car... lease w/ option to buy"

Comment

Working...
                              X