Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What non-Honda engine would you like to see in a CB7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What non-Honda engine would you like to see in a CB7?

I'm putting this in OT rather than Swaps, because I don't expect for it to turn into a highly technical discussion.

Anyway, I was discussing J swaps with a few people on Facebook. Installing a J engine in a CB7 is about as complicated as installing pretty much ANY other FWD engine. Probably more complicated than some!

So, if you could put a non-Honda engine into a CB7, which would you like to see, and why? Keep it FWD!

As much as I generally dislike VW, I'd be curious to see how well a VR6 would fit under the hood of a CB7. They fit them in the Corrado, and that had the old 90s low hood (unlike today's cars, where pedestrian safety laws put the hood WAY high...)
    The VR6 is far more compact than a standard V6. The two cylinder banks are so close together, they can share a single head casting!

I'd go with one of the new turbo ecotec motors. Very torquey, timing chain instead of a belt, pretty stout.

Or an ej25. Just run it fwd.

Comment

The guy that installed the j into cd5 just welded up a bracket, used stock axles and the v6 ecu.

I would do this motor:

This thing is a monster.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

1JZ-GTE VVTI with an R154 behind it.

Been repairing my laptop for the past few hours and the entire post evidently didn't load. Anyhow, since it's FWD only... Idk... one of those FWD Cadillac V8's with a couple turbos.
        Last edited by H311RA151N; 06-19-2015, 05:07 PM.

Comment

If we're keeping it fwd then I'd go 4g63t.

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Originally posted by bassrock234 View Post
            If we're keeping it fwd then I'd go 4g63t.
            I'm surprised it hasn't been done already. I know it's not practical, but many things aren't. This engine is great for boost, has an amazing rod/stroke ratio and has an enormous aftermarket support.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Perhaps a rear engine layout could be altered to work FWD so I would go with something Porsche. If that is too far of a stretch then what has already been said covers for my ideas.
              Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Srt4

Comment

I would like to see a 2.8t 6speed from a saab like mine be put in. Plenty of torque and gets 30mpg. Can easily tune it to if you want more power.

Comment

Engine+trans/dif setup out of the RS500. I don't think there's another FF that goes harder.

But honestly, unless you're just wanting to have a car with an interesting swap or are willing to do a RWD/AWD conversion, anything but a K for 4cyl or J for a 6cyl just seems pointless to me. The swap work has already been figured out and made relatively easy, and with the same money spent figuring out how to make your 'odd swap' mount and drive, you can just build up the Honda engine. If I ever swap from an H22, it'll be for a K24/20 combo.
                    Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-19-2015, 07:48 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Probably a LS4, you can bore them out to a 5.7l displacement, with cnc ported heads and cam, you'd see 420whp. it would torque steer like a mofo.

I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

lol

hit gas -> involuntary lane change

Comment

I would probably go with the 4.0L H6 from the 991 GT3. It would probably have to go in the trunk though.
                          '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                          If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

The 911 engines are rear mounted, but power the rear wheels... So it may not be totally impossible to put one in the front, powering the front wheels...

Comment

Well of course I know that....I'm saying the width of the engine would probably be too much for the front of the CB7.
                              '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                              If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Working...
                              X