CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
bigwhite
Newcomer

bigwhite is cool... so far.
Help Please

My tranny only grabs 2nd 4th and reverse....it just started doing it I can sometimes get 1st and 3rd but 5th is imposible. My brother tought it was the slave cylender and now we think its the shift cables because we can pit it in gear from under the hood.......any sugestions please....its a 90 accord sedan lx 5 speed.
bigwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
benji
CB7tuner Member

benji is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to benji Send a message via Yahoo to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwhite View Post
My tranny only grabs 2nd 4th and reverse....it just started doing it I can sometimes get 1st and 3rd but 5th is imposible. My brother tought it was the slave cylender and now we think its the shift cables because we can pit it in gear from under the hood.......any sugestions please....its a 90 accord sedan lx 5 speed.
Does it do it at rest only? Or will it shift when you are moving? You should be able to get it moving in second gear.

Also, since you can shift it ok in the engine bay, can't you look at the cables while someone moves the shifter around and see if it is getting caught on something?
Old 04-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
bigwhite
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
Does it do it at rest only? Or will it shift when you are moving? You should be able to get it moving in second gear.

Also, since you can shift it ok in the engine bay, can't you look at the cables while someone moves the shifter around and see if it is getting caught on something?

It wont go into 1 3 or 5 stoped or rolling. i asked cuz this is my first accord ive owned numerous civics and crxs and shift cables are new to me. thank you...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
turbo90accord
Super Moderator

turbo90accord is cool... so far.
Your cables may be stretched. But what do you mean by won't go in? Like you can't feel I on the shifter or it pops out. May have also broken the shifter inside! Gotta quit shifting so hard!

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
member ride thread
11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "
turbo90accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
wherm
CB7tuner Member

wherm seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wherm Send a message via Yahoo to wherm
I would pull up the center console so you can see the cables where they attach to the shifter. See if there are any kinks that keep them from moving forward into gear. Maybe something else is in there jamming it up.
wherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #6
bigwhite
Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo90accord View Post
Your cables may be stretched. But what do you mean by won't go in? Like you can't feel I on the shifter or it pops out. May have also broken the shifter inside! Gotta quit shifting so hard!
i can pull the shifter into 2 4 and reverse just fine no problems but when i try to shift into 1 3 or 5 i can hear the gears grinding like they r almost catching but not going far enough in......is that a little better explination?? thanks a million guys i really appreceate it...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
bigbadnothing85
CB7tuner Member

bigbadnothing85 is cool... so far.
how's your clutch? sounds like it's not engaging enough to me... and whining from the trans? or and vibration through the shifter???
bigbadnothing85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #8
turbo90accord
Super Moderator

turbo90accord is cool... so far.
if it sounds like the gears are "almost catching" and grinding but you are able to get it into 2,4,and r i thing you may have some bent shift forks. definatly sounding like a toasted tranny. it is possible its the clutch but being that it goes into some gears that kind of eliminates the clutch.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
member ride thread
11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "
turbo90accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
CB7Jay1
CB7tuner Member

CB7Jay1 is cool... so far.
check your Clutch slave cylinder, mine just started leaking a few days ago and i noticed 3rg grinded alittle, and rev was impossible. Now i have a new slave cylinder and it shifts perfect. They start leaking then they fail.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: