CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Site Features > Members' Rides

Old 10-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #1
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

rustyaccord is cool... so far.
rustyaccord : 1992 Accord EX (2)

Got a new baby the day after the accident with the sedan. Paid $1100 for it which was a steal since it has new firestones and OEM suspension on it and a rebuilt trans (auto, unfortunately). This is the cleanest wagon I have ever seen in person which I guess isn't much to say since wagons are kind of rare around these parts and if you do see them they are rusted out pretty bad. She runs better than my sedan ever did since I've had it, and overall is in much better condition, so the accident was a blessing in disguise. I'll post some better pictures once I get her cleaned up.

With a little help from my dad, I spent a week transferring parts between the two cars.

Engine/Trans:
-H23 IM/TB
-ESP engine mounts
-DC Sports header to magnaflow cat to Apexi WS2 catback
-OEM airbox resonator tubes delete with K&N factory style filter
-Eventually a 5 speed swap with a nice head rebuild, I'm not sure yet.

Suspension:
-Prothane master bushing kit
-H&R OE 3/4" drop springs and Koni Yellow's in the front
-Factory springs and KYB AGX's in the rear

Brakes:
-Stainless brake lines (future)
-EBC slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads
-ABS dash light (fixed(removed wiring))

Exterior:
-OEM fogs

Interior:
-aftermarket amp/sub/wiring delete and OEM speaker replacement
-Pioneer stereo head unit, nothing fancy
-working A/C!
-passenger side wet carpet (heater core was leaking, has been replaced)

Last edited by rustyaccord; 08-07-2019 at 06:16 PM.
rustyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #2
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
Looks great! Just need a RF fender.
LOTS of CB7 parts - ENTIRE COLLECTION - FREE
Come and get it.
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:36 PM   #3
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Looks like he got it. You've got a hint of rust out back though. Nice find.

If you haven't already purchased the Green Stuff pads, I'd avoid them. I've got EBC slotted discs on the RSX and started out with those same pads. The discs tore right through them, and they dusted like crazy anyway. I changed to Hawk HPS and they've been great on both counts. I imagine EBC Red Stuff is the same thing.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
MRT | Engine build | Daily RSX
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
Looks like he got it. You've got a hint of rust out back though. Nice find.

If you haven't already purchased the Green Stuff pads, I'd avoid them. I've got EBC slotted discs on the RSX and started out with those same pads. The discs tore right through them, and they dusted like crazy anyway. I changed to Hawk HPS and they've been great on both counts. I imagine EBC Red Stuff is the same thing.
It's hard to find any Honda with this little rust here in NE (the salt tears the shit out of the bodies) so I'm really happy with how small the blemishes are on the quarters.

How well do you like the EBC rotors? I bought them for the sedan but I had less than 1000 miles on them before the car got totaled, and the wagons have larger front rotors so I couldn't swap them over. My initial impression was pretty good, they definitely stopped better than the OE pads and warped rotors. I will look into the Hawk pads though, thanks for the tip!

Last edited by rustyaccord; 04-04-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2016, 02:36 AM   #5
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Well, I went up Pikes Peak one summer on the original blank discs and whatever pads came with the car. The trip down turned the discs purple and I experienced serious brake fade. Since the slotted swap, and after teaming them with the HPS pads, I've yet to get them to fade as badly as that day, including another Pikes Peak trip and several other canyon runs. I'd say the fade is very mild now, but I don't exactly race the car to where I'm slamming on the brakes either. I don't know if stopping distance has improved at all, but the first couple stops (pads being cold) are sometimes a bit slow. Fade was what I was hoping to correct with this setup, and to that end I'm happy with them.

But lately I'm thinking my brake fluid and/or hoses are starting to break down. I've been meaning to have a shop change the fluid for me (hopefully with something of the next step up in durability), and install braided lines at the same time. Something you might want to look into as well.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
MRT | Engine build | Daily RSX
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Did some ebay surfing last weekend and you'll never guess what I found...

Shipped from Malaysia, to China, to Japan, to Alaska, to Kentucky, to Omaha, and finally to Lincoln. What could they be, you ask?

Take a peek,

Yeah that's right, brand new OEM style 92/93 fog lights!
I've been searching for a set for the last 4 years and after missing out on buying a set (sorry Deev, car got totalled and I had a fiasco with the insurance company) I finally found them. They seem decent quality, probably made in Taiwan. The brackets are made of plastic but they seem rigid enough, I'm sure it will be more solid once they're installed. The build quality reminds me a lot of the saxo fogs I bought a couple years back only those had steel brackets and were for the wrong year of car.

Anyway, I still have some overspray to clean off the bumper from the PO then I'll get these babies installed.

Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
Mike1357
CB7tuner Member

Mike1357 is cool... so far.
That's an awesome find! And that looks like such a fantastic place to start from again. It's good to see members coming back from crashes instead of getting out.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
excalibur02
Wanna be JDM whore

Location: north new jersey Owns: Turbo cb6 & NA cb7 I'm: NJs 5-lug King ;-0
excalibur02 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to excalibur02
That's a nice wagon!

That's a cool box for the fogs. Preserve the box lol. Are the curved jdm fogs?

Instagram username MAURO02

If my pictures do not work and you see ****.com replace it with m1xe.com
excalibur02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:15 AM   #9
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur02 View Post
That's a nice wagon!

That's a cool box for the fogs. Preserve the box lol. Are the curved jdm fogs?
Unfortunately they are not JDM style. I'll post some better pics once I get them installed.
Old 11-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #10
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357 View Post
That's an awesome find! And that looks like such a fantastic place to start from again. It's good to see members coming back from crashes instead of getting out.
I needed a quick replacement car after the accident. I figured CB's are cheap plus I could swap all my good parts over from the wreck. I didn't expect to get this lucky condition wise so it was lucky I found it when I did. All the other CB's on CL in my area were rusted super bad, missing parts, and dented up.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Here's the fogs installed. Not a fan of the plastic brackets but they should work fine. I ended up breaking off the long tabs by accident since they don't fit perfectly in the wagon bumper. I'll have to keep my eyes out for a sedan bumper in Seattle Silver.

Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

The car rides great overall but the front shocks are making noise and it drives me nuts. The rubber bushings and ball joint boots all looks pretty worn out and torn up so that brings me to the next big upgrade. It will be at least after tax season since I just dumped over a grand for education. Thieving bastards!

New shocks, springs, and poly bushings will be met with new ball joints, control arms, and bearings where needed. However, I will probably end up replacing the brakes all around first. They still stop fine and without noise but the discs are looking really worn.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.com/82013

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...2&autoModClar=

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...2&autoModClar=

Last edited by rustyaccord; 01-07-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #13
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

I noticed that the rear bumper had started to pull away from the quarter panel and decided to see what I could do to fix the situation. Interestingly enough, the driver's side was completely clean. No rust or anything.

Unfortunately, the passenger side was worse than I thought...

It was only holding on by the seam sealer, and after a few times through the carwash at work, it started letting go.

It's not the most attractive thing in the world but it serves its purpose for now.

Yes I used pop rivets but it was getting late and I was tired of messing with it. Plus the welder is buried behind a bunch of shit in the garage. I finished it all up with a quick coat of rubber undercoating.

Last edited by rustyaccord; 09-01-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #14
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Well, I kickstarted the process of rebuilding the suspension on this old beast. I have always had a good experience with NAPA's suspension components so $250 later and I'm waiting on four new premium upper control arms. Next step is the lower ball joints, then I can order up a master bushing kit. Expensive, I know, but I'm sure it's all totally worth it!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #15
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Upon receiving my tax return, I decided to go ahead and order up the shocks, springs, and poly bushings... $1100, ouch. But it should drive like a brand new car and be a lot more stable, especially at highway speeds and windy conditions. In a couple weeks I will be making the trek out to Indianapolis for spring break to visit some family who happen to have a 2 post lift, which is perfect for this sort of work. I'll post pictures of the process.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #16
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
I think you're really going to like the Koni suspension.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #17
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
I think you're really going to like the Koni suspension.
I'm excited to feel the difference! Since I'm driving out to Indiana to install everything, I'm hoping I get about the same driving conditions both ways so I can have a better comparison between stock and modified. I'm sure either way it's going to be a night and day difference. I'm interested to see if it has any effect on gas mileage...
Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #18
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

I figure I should get these pictures up. I hate using photobucket, slows my computer down. Everything went together pretty smooth. I ended up having a broken spring in the front so the timing couldn't have been better.

The lower shock bolt was stuck inside the bushing sleeve so I ended up spinning the rubber out of the rear passenger knuckle bushing. I twisted the bolt and buggered the threads a little bit also. (new ones in the mail) Luckily I had the poly bushings for the front upper control arms which fit perfectly. I'll probably have to do that to the drivers side at some point but I'll wait until I feel like it. It does ride a little stiffer as I was expecting but it's not at all uncomfortable. During assembly I goofed and used an impact to tighten the top nuts down on the rear shocks so I have one adjuster that is stuck fully soft. It seems like that's a common problem with Koni shocks, I just need to tighten a crescent wrench on it and bump it loose.

So now I have a completely new suspension including upper control arms and lower ball joints. Gas mileage going from Lincoln, NE to Spiceland, IN was about 24.2. Coming back on the same route I got 26.7mpg. I'm pretty happy with it considering the engine is humming at 3700 at interstate speed. Next project is the rear brakes as the pads are almost gone. I'm thinking I might as well replace the wheel bearings while it's apart... But that's a story for another day.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by rustyaccord; 10-25-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #19
rustyaccord
CB7tuner Member

Those of you who are in the facebook group know that I spent my weekend elbows deep in a timing belt change, along with new cam seal and lower spark plug tube seals. Everything went very smooth and she's running smoother and I was able to adjust the valve train quieter than it was before. I have always been curious about the difference between balance shafts connected or disconnected. Particularly with regards to gas mileage. I left the belt off when I put everything back together and so far it seems better (the extra vibration doesn't bother me yet).

MPG with balance shafts connected: 24.2 City
MPG without balance shafts connected: Anywhere from 23.6 to 24.6

Basically no difference. I'm going to go ahead and order a new balancer belt.

That's enough under the hood work for a while; I will never get used to how bad my back hurts after working on this thing.

Last edited by rustyaccord; 10-25-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #20
HenRoc
Black Thunder

HenRoc seems to have made some friends! HenRoc seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to HenRoc
You mentioned you have a WS2 on your wagon. Im curious to know how did you end up routing that exhaust? I know the cut out is at an extreme angle vs the sedans which is straight. I have my old WS2 just collecting dust and I'd like to eventually use it.

Good progress although you last photos need to be rehosted as they are not showing up
1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video
HenRoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: