Car won't start, Battery charged.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car won't start, Battery charged.

I flip the switch and the acc turns on like normal, radio works, and my e-fan comes on like normal. But when I go to crank the car, I might get one very slow rotation from the starter and then nothing. Battery and starter are both brand new. Has plenty of gas also, this car is my one and only car and I need to get to work Monday. Any ideas?

Before any flaming happens, I've gotten the multi meter out and checked my wires for the entire charging system, I've checked all my grounds and connections. Quite mind boggling...

Originally posted by Makaveli2k
    White girls make the world go round. If I were to be stranded on an island and I could only 3 things to bring with me It'd be 2 different white girls. And a Smashing pumpkins Cd... I hear they like that shit. =p

Does the battery still put out ~12V under no loads? Can you rotate the engine by hand fairly easily? Does the car start if you jump it from another known good battery?

Just because all those other electrical items work, does not mean the battery is "good". It may only have enough juice to power those items, but not enough to run the starter.

I'd try jumping it from a known good battery, then making sure the starter receives a full 12V when you turn the key to crank. If the battery tests good, and the starter receives a full 12V, then my guess could be either a seized engine or a bad starter.

Comment

I've tried all those, motor isn't seized either. Starter alt, and battery all tested good. I'm thinking now that maybe the battery is now fully charged, thus the strain to crank. I did try jumping it from a known good battery, but to no avail...

White girls make the world go round. If I were to be stranded on an island and I could only 3 things to bring with me It'd be 2 different white girls. And a Smashing pumpkins Cd... I hear they like that shit. =p

Comment

Take the accessory belts off and see if anything is seized.

How did you go about testing the battery and alt?
        Last edited by Saidaigen8; 06-16-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Check battery posts for proper connection and security. There should be no corrosion or looseness.

Check for proper ground of engine to chassis.

Check for proper connection between chassis to negative terminal of the battery.

Check for proper cranking voltage during the starter is engaged/turning. It should be more than 10 volts, IIRC.
          A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by Saidaigen8 View Post
            Take the accessory belts off and see if anything is seized.
            this could be it.....same thing happened to my sis' car....came to be the a/c compressor locked up, stopped the belts from turning...might wanna check there first.

Comment

Originally posted by Rookdarealest View Post
              this could be it.....same thing happened to my sis' car....came to be the a/c compressor locked up, stopped the belts from turning...might wanna check there first.
              I only have an alt, and it's not seized. Nor is the engine...

Grounds, connections, and everything are good...

No burnt wires or anything. Could there possibly be some sort of parasitic drain elsewhere in the harness?

Comment

Main battery ground.

How did you check the grounds?
                Test the amount of voltage drop over the main battery ground cable under full load.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                  Main battery ground.

How did you check the grounds?
                  Test the amount of voltage drop over the main battery ground cable under full load.
                  ok, I'll do that tomorrow after I get off work.

Comment

Working...
                  X