CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 12-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #1
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
What Lies In The Truth?

I wonder what would happen in the world if everyone couldn't lie for an entire day. Literally!

Let's assume everyone had to tell the truth; not one single solitary lie for an entire day by every man, woman, and child. What would be the outcome?

Let's go a step further and randomly pick a day. Wednesday, January 13, 2016, hypothetically marks a day of being honest for 24 hours straight for everyone. Would this lead to war, death, divorce, enlightenment, world peace, financial crisis, global economic meltdown, termination, death, life, marriage, corruption exposure, cure for AIDS, suicide, prosperity, understanding, further ignorance, wisdom, love, joy, hope, reconciliation, brother and sisterly love, etc...?

What would happen?

"...they did the bowties, I did the ascots, as much as I have, I'm still reppin' the have nots..."

- So Raspy

Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
The inability to lie forces silence, not the truth.
Old 12-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #3
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
By that notion, you think the outcome would be that everyone would be silent for 24 hours?

Is that possible?

Stock trading, business deals, not speaking to one's spouse or kids for a nice 24. Hmmm! Interesting.

"...they did the bowties, I did the ascots, as much as I have, I'm still reppin' the have nots..."

- So Raspy

Old 12-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Mike1357
CB7tuner Member

Mike1357 is cool... so far.
If you, for the sake of argument, assume nobody will be silent, an unbelievably large amount of industries, governments, and relationships (personal or otherwise) will go to hell in a hand basket.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #5
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1357 View Post
If you, for the sake of argument, assume nobody will be silent, an unbelievably large amount of industries, governments, and relationships (personal or otherwise) will go to hell in a hand basket.
24 hours of straight honesty; yeah, I can see that.

Assuming this is the case, if people began lying the following day, can the rights of the truth be ratified?

Edit: Also, on a daily basis, which do you think are shared more in a day, the truth or lies?

- So Raspy

Last edited by Straight Success; 12-27-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #6
wed3k
Contributing Member

wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
if i was forced to tell the truth, id piss off a lot of people. i dont interact with people for a reason.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
This is the only realistic thing that could happen, unless we were to also lose that specific aspect of self control. That stupid saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" (personally I believe it's counterproductive towards progress), runs surprisingly deep. As horrible as people can be, most of us still have a conscience.

Let's take your hypothetical date and make it happen right here on CB7Tuner... this place will be silent except for the few people who care to let out their inner ass hole.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
MRT | Engine build
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
This is the only realistic thing that could happen, unless we were to also lose that specific aspect of self control. That stupid saying, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" (personally I believe it's counterproductive towards progress), runs surprisingly deep. As horrible as people can be, most of us still have a conscience.

Let's take your hypothetical date and make it happen right here on CB7Tuner... this place will be silent except for the few people who care to let out their inner ass hole.
Being mean and spiteful just because one can by telling the truth is much different than revealing the true truth because one has a reason to.

I'm sure it would be difficult for the board to be silent and the activity has slowed, and from my understanding, shifted somewhat to FB. In short, I agree with you.

I think that it would be impossible for the world to be silent for a day. Anything and everything on this Earth has to communicate in some way, shape, or form. Without it, somethings will end. By that logic, I guess the same could be argued for telling the truth for a day; in a different context of course.

- So Raspy

Old 12-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #9
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Moving on, do you think there is a possibility that telling the truth for a day could help people become more humane and fix the wrongs in today's society (basically giving everyone a fresh and clean slate with the truth)?

- So Raspy

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 PM   #10
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight Success View Post
Being mean and spiteful just because one can by telling the truth is much different than revealing the true truth because one has a reason to.
I suppose I was thinking more along the lines of this forum and how people are always asking opinions on their cars, etc. I don't comment in MRTs, for example, unless I have an honest interest in something and it compels me to speak up... if I see something I don't like, I'm just another number added to the 'views' counter.

In the real world, an average day for me never calls for a single lie. How often do people straight up ask, "what do you think?" in any given situation? We communicate to keep the world around us moving along, and opinions aren't necessary 95% of the time... at least in my own little world. That said, I don't think the world's economy would have any risk of crashing over night unless this 24 hours fell on an unlucky day where world leaders were actually in an argument to prevent or start war. Even then it'd be iffy. If terrorists were forced to be honest, who's to say they'd act the same as they do now? Which kind of ties into this topic of humanity in your newest post. Lies can do just as much good as they can harm, so it could backfire. Sparing someone's feelings from a hard truth could prevent a suicide, for instance.

"The bitter truth cuts both ways." - Hatebreed

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
MRT | Engine build

Last edited by CyborgGT; 12-28-2015 at 08:23 PM.
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #11
cb7 calling
CB7tuner Member

cb7 calling is cool... so far.
Quote:
This would be the inevitable outcome because the more words in a statement the less accurate it becomes.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #12
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7 calling View Post
This would be the inevitable outcome because the more words in a statement the less accurate it becomes.
By whose logic?

What you are telling me is that since people will not be willing to tell the truth, they'll just keep quiet?

Isn't that one of the main reasons that corruption continues (actually gets worse) and society continues to decline because of people not speaking up or speaking the truth? Is this way of thinking going to be passed on to the next generation?

- So Raspy

Old 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM   #13
cb7 calling
CB7tuner Member

cb7 calling is cool... so far.
Basically the flaws in communications logic.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb7 calling View Post
Basically the flaws in communications logic.
Is there actually flaws in communication, or flaws in those who communicate?

I lean more towards the latter as people telling lies is a breakdown in communication.

Is the truth so powerful that it has the ability to stop communication for a whole day?

Can we make a distinction between the things people lie about on a daily basis and why? What if they told the truth? How would that changes things in certain situations (politics, crime, news/the media, government, spouses, children, law makers, the police, international business, taxes, corruption, etc.)?

Side note : I have a truth to bare. The main thing that I've been working on is patience, and I'm getting better at it everyday. This allows me to patiently wait and be more prepared for the next chapter.

- So Raspy

Old 12-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #15
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
The entire premise of this thread is fundamentally flawed.

1) It is based on the perspective that there is only one truth and everything else is a lie.

Based on previous history, it is probably safe to assume that this "truth" would only be allowed to agree with one singular viewpoint.

2) It is based on the premise that most people spend most of their time lying. Not only is that a grotesquely pessimistic view of the world, but it is completely untrue.

3) In reality most people who aren't saying anything aren't saying anything because they are restraining themselves so as to not be rude, not because they are lying and are faced with lying or saying nothing.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: