Brake Pedal Going to Floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake Pedal Going to Floor?

So I just finished replacing all of the brake hoses, bled all of them really well, and my brake pedal doesn't do anything till it is 3/4s of the way down, it's easy to push all the way down.... Does this have anything to do with my master cylinder? I'm pretty sure it's not air in the lines...I bled everything twice... I don't have near enough braking power to drive safely.... I haven't noticed any leaks around the m/c.

I'm pretty frustrated at the moment
    I'm faster then a prius

Master Cylinder is bad.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
    2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Most likely the master cylinder. It took mine a good year or two with gradual loss of braking power it got so bad right before i replaced it that I had to pump the pedal 7 times just to stop. Try this. With the car off does the pedal fade or hold pressure? Most likely a internal leak like mine was. Pump it a few times and if the pressure fades get a new mc ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
        Most likely the master cylinder. It took mine a good year or two with gradual loss of braking power it got so bad right before i replaced it that I had to pump the pedal 7 times just to stop. Try this. With the car off does the pedal fade or hold pressure? Most likely a internal leak like mine was. Pump it a few times and if the pressure fades get a new mc ASAP
        It does hold pressure when the car is off... It's consistent
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Master cylinder. When they're bad, they would still build up pressure when the car is off. If the pressure doesn't build up when off, there's a vacuum problem.

Make sure you get a 100% new master

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
            Master cylinder. When they're bad, they would still build up pressure when the car is off. If the pressure doesn't build up when off, there's a vacuum problem.

Make sure you get a 100% new master
            Well that's annoying... How much of a job is it to replace?
            I have a 92 LX Sedan (if you needed to know that)
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Not much. Just a basic tool set and flare wrenches are needed. The shit part is bleeding the brakes, honestly.

Edit: might be a bit more extensive for you as you live in a colder part of the country. Check all of your brake lines for pin holes first if you haven't already

Comment

Not much. Just a basic tool set and flare wrenches are needed. The shit part is bleeding the brakes, honestly.

Edit: might be a bit more extensive for you as you live in a colder part of the country. Check all of your brake lines for pin holes first if you haven't already
                Oh good... Where would I get a new one?
                I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Honestly Chris my MC took a few years to go completely bad and once it got real bad and took seven pumps to stop each time or so. I pumped the brakes with the car off and it wouldn't hold at all. But when I first started having problems with the mc it'd somewhat hold. But a MC is what ultimately fixed my problem.

Swapping a MC on a CB7 is one of the easiest things I've ever done. Just bench bleed the mc two bolts and the brake line connections and that's it.
                  Last edited by Kev1990; 11-08-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                    Oh good... Where would I get a new one?
                    OReilly, Napa, Honda, whatever. Just don't get a remanufactured one.

Kev, his holds pressure 3/4 down. This could mean the bore at 3/4 doesn't have corrosion, so fluid won't leak past the piston at a certain depth. It's like what happened to the Scion recently. The pedal would go wayyyyy down, but would stop the car very well. (No pumping) Now you just rest your foot on that thing, and they'll be a face imprint somewhere.

Yours sounded toast, man. The fact yours wouldn't hold even under vacuum confuses me, but you fixed it so good job.

Comment

OReilly, Napa, Honda, whatever. Just don't get a remanufactured one.

Kev, his holds pressure 3/4 down. This could mean the bore at 3/4 doesn't have corrosion, so fluid won't leak past the piston at a certain depth. It's like what happened to the Scion recently. The pedal would go wayyyyy down, but would stop the car very well. (No pumping) Now you just rest your foot on that thing, and they'll be a face imprint somewhere.

Yours sounded toast, man. The fact yours wouldn't hold even under vacuum confuses me, but you fixed it so good job.
                      Is this OK?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Master...VVoj7g&vxp=mtr
                      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Depends. Go on Rock Auto, and search there. Masters are different if you have ABS.

Comment

Depends. Go on Rock Auto, and search there. Masters are different if you have ABS.
                          I have an LX, no ABS
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=478&jpid=0

This one is cheaper, if that matters

Comment

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...nid=478&jpid=0

This one is cheaper, if that matters
                              Wow, that is a good price. Rock Auto's website sucks though.

I have a O'Reilly's down the road, I'm going to see if they have one, I hate waiting for shipping.
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                              X