Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 accord power windows not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 accord power windows not working

All my windows and switches do not work. I have tested all fuses and the relay for the power windows. I found only one thing. When the key is turned to the on position the 4 fuses under the hood do not get 12 volts. My brother has the same car so i tested his. His does get 12 volts to the fuses. This left me thinking the fuse box was damaged. So i got another one and replaced it today. Still does not get 12 volts to the power window fuses. I am at a complete loss and have no idea what this means. Please please I need some window action here lol. Does anyone know what this means?

The power window relay controls power to those fuses. Check fuse number 5 in the under dash fusebox.

Check continuity from the Fuse No. 5 socket to the power window relay socket. There should be continuity on one of the pins.

When you Key On, check the power window relay socket for 12v. Two pins should have 12v on them, one should be ground and the other should be an open circuit.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

@SonikAccord

I just tested the #5 fuse under the dash. I used a test light and multimeter. Top side of the fuse is ground and i get 12 volts at the bottom side. I checked the resistance and another setting on the multimeter but im not sure what the readings tell me. So I get 12 volts at the dash fuse but not volts under the hood. What does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronams25 View Post
        @SonikAccord

I just tested the #5 fuse under the dash. I used a test light and multimeter. Top side of the fuse is ground and i get 12 volts at the bottom side. I checked the resistance and another setting on the multimeter but im not sure what the readings tell me. So I get 12 volts at the dash fuse but not volts under the hood. What does this mean?
        You can youtube or google on how to check resistance of a wire. Was the fuse blown?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronams25 View Post
          @SonikAccord

If you're in Key ON, then that's telling me that you have a bad fuse.

If you start at the dash fusebox, the top side of Fuse 5 should be connected to your power window relay coil.

Now remove your power window relay and re-do the voltage measurement. You should read 12V on both sides of fuse 5. If not, replace the fuse.

Turn the key OFF, check resistance from the top of the fuse to ground with the relay installed and again with it removed. You should read a fairly low resistance with it in, then an open resistance with it removed. If not, replace the relay.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
            If you're in Key ON, then that's telling me that you have a bad fuse.

If you start at the dash fusebox, the top side of Fuse 5 should be connected to your power window relay coil.

Now remove your power window relay and re-do the voltage measurement. You should read 12V on both sides of fuse 5. If not, replace the fuse.

Turn the key OFF, check resistance from the top of the fuse to ground with the relay installed and again with it removed. You should read a fairly low resistance with it in, then an open resistance with it removed. If not, replace the relay.
            I am uploading a video right now of the testing i have done. Ill post the link as soon as its done.

Comment

Video of some electrical testing

https://youtu.be/6WzE9QbvYYc

Well there is the link. I cant seem to figure this out.

Comment

Ok. There is one last thing to check. You bench tested the relays so that just leaves the actual relay socket to test. Obviously it's a wiring problem at this point, you've done a great job checking the voltages.

Now for the socket. Check the coil's pins. One should have 12v, the other should read 0 ohms to ground in resistance check mode. If that tests fine, move to the switching side of the relay. One should have 12v at all times. The other should be continuous with your individual window fuses. Those are literally your last connections.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ok. There is one last thing to check. You bench tested the relays so that just leaves the actual relay socket to test. Obviously it's a wiring problem at this point, you've done a great job checking the voltages.

Now for the socket. Check the coil's pins. One should have 12v, the other should read 0 ohms to ground in resistance check mode. If that tests fine, move to the switching side of the relay. One should have 12v at all times. The other should be continuous with your individual window fuses. Those are literally your last connections.
                  Okay thank you for the help. Im going to check those things here in a few minutes. I felt i should probably mention that This car has other electrical issues, automatic seat belts do not work, the clock and the instrument cluster does not work. I have figured out why certain things on the instrument cluster do not work. The circuit board is burnt in two places. But one of my friends said maybe i should ask about those things cause maybe they could be a clue as to why the windows do not work. But im pretty sure the windows are on their own circuit. I'll be posting another video showing everything ive checked if i can get someone to come over and hold my camera lol

Comment

This was what i got from testing the power window relay pins today

Comment

There is your problem:

The top left pin should have 12V. Your coil isn't being energized.

So one of two things are happening.
                      1. You have a dead Integrated Control Unit.
                      2. You have an open YEL-GRN wire.

If you have other issues, I would suspect the ICU is bad. You can swap it with your brother's and see if it fixes the issues.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

There is your problem:

The top left pin should have 12V. Your coil isn't being energized.

So one of two things are happening.
                        1. You have a dead Integrated Control Unit.
                        2. You have an open YEL-GRN wire.

If you have other issues, I would suspect the ICU is bad. You can swap it with your brother's and see if it fixes the issues.
                        As soon as i figure out what the icu is im going to test it. Thank you very much for your help. Im going to follow up with this. Just need to replace a coolant line really quick. Had alot of surging on my way back home.

Comment

Got the icu out and heres how she looks

Comment

After looking it over it seems to look fine. But im not sure if this can still have issues even if it looks fine. It was such a pain to get it out im debating whether to pull out my brothers and do that test or not. Do you know if this can still have problems even if it looks fine?

Comment

Okay i did swap my ICU with my brothers. There was no change. Now im worried that this will be something extremely difficult to repair rather then just swapping out a part :/

Comment

Working...
                              X