[DIY] Neutral switch for remote engine starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DIY] Neutral switch for remote engine starter

Hey CB7Tuner, sorry I dont have time to do a full how to but just wanted to share with you guys how I made up a neutral switch for my remote engine starter alarm (Avital 5103)

If you dont know what these are theyre called reed switches or magnetic / proximity switches. commonly used in house alarms to sense if a door is open or closed.
    They come with two different contact configurations Normally Open and Normally Closed (some have both contact types in one, they will have 3 wires instead of 2)
    I used Normally open contacts on my one but you can use normally closed type also it just depends on how you have them set up.

UPDATE:
    I've converted to Prelude shifter along with prelude box, as you can see I pretty much carried over the old setup with minor modifications being made.

I connected my alarm neutral sense wire to the two sensors which were wired in series and then the other end of the wire to the park brake switch so the car has to be in neutral with the park brake up before it will start remotely.

You can see I made up some little riser brackets to mount the sensors in the correct place. As for the mounting of the magnets on the shifter, thats balsa wood you can see there holding them together.
    Cheers guys hope this helps somebody wanting to do the same thing.
    Last edited by NTYPE; 08-18-2015, 11:17 PM.

That's very useful as I'm planning to wire up the remote starter I got for christmas.

I don't have the box to check what's included, but I'm guessing it doesn't come with any sort of neutral sensor.

Good thinking on not forgetting the parking brake sensor as well. Any pics of how you rigged that up?

Comment

Thats awesome and I like the idea... What I have is the e-brake has to be on along with a button pressed to over ride the clutch if the button isn't pressed the car will simply turn to accessory and do nothing and as that alarm does it attempts to start the car until a signal from the rpm has been achieved

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
      Do it once, do it right.
      Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
      Missing My
      White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Very clever, I like it. I'm pretty sure I would have used microswitches, but those like to break. Your way is much better.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

UPDATE:
          I've converted to Prelude shifter along with prelude box, as you can see I pretty much carried over the old setup with minor modifications being made.

Comment

Very clever, nice work. I've always wondered how to do it with a manual trans but never put effort into an idea since I didn't really care for remote start
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Working...
            X