Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the Maryland gun guys..

If you don't know. Don't post. Period.

OK. I'm coming to MD to help my dad move. I open carry in NC and VA with no problems. But I know how restrictive MD on EVERYTHING. So I figured I'd ask the MD folks.

Is MD an OC state? Keep in mind. I'm traveling to help my dad move and do not live there. But I want to know if I'm able to open carry. If not I gotta figure out about transporting my 40s&w around while I'm up there. Don't want it taken away.

Don't post "then don't carry if you don't know" or some crap like that. You dont use firearms or even carry in MD, don't like guns, or have zero experience in this subject, don't post.

quick google found this ... http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
      If you don't know. Don't post. Period.

OK. I'm coming to MD to help my dad move. I open carry in NC and VA with no problems. But I know how restrictive MD on EVERYTHING. So I figured I'd ask the MD folks.

Is MD an OC state? Keep in mind. I'm traveling to help my dad move and do not live there. But I want to know if I'm able to open carry. If not I gotta figure out about transporting my 40s&w around while I'm up there. Don't want it taken away.

Don't post "then don't carry if you don't know" or some crap like that. You dont use firearms or even carry in MD, don't like guns, or have zero experience in this subject, don't post.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
      Carrying a handgun, whether openly or concealed, is prohibited unless one has a permit to carry a handgun or is on their own property or their own place of business. The Maryland State Police may issue a permit to carry a handgun at their discretion and based on an investigation.[3][2] On March 5, 2012, a federal judge ruled in Woollard v Sheridan that Maryland's "may issue" concealed carry law is unconstitutional, writing, "A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights." The Maryland Attorney General's office is planning on appealing the ruling.[9] On August 1, 2012, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals (U.S. Federal) issued a "stay" preventing the lower court's opinion from taking effect.
      I know Wiki isn't official, but knowing the NE, not too many states are open carry lol.

The easiest way would be just to call the MD SP and explain your situation and let them tell you right from the source.

Comment

Maryland does not honor any other state Permit/Licenses.
        Means you can not even conceal carry.

Unloaded locked and only "passing through" the state.

Comment

Yep no dice in our state

I have a friend in VA who told me a bit about the laws in VA and MD, he has a conceal permit in MD

Not that i ever want to carry a weapon, i was just curious.

And seriously is it that hard for you to just NOT carry a gun on you just to help someone move?

Comment

Thanks guys. The info is just a little vague.

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
            Yep no dice in our state

I have a friend in VA who told me a bit about the laws in VA and MD, he has a conceal permit in MD

Not that i ever want to carry a weapon, i was just curious.

And seriously is it that hard for you to just NOT carry a gun on you just to help someone move?
            When you buy a handgun, you have sign a document saying that if its stolen and a crime is committed wit it, you're held responsible as well. I taken that seriously. Sure I can report it stolen, but if I don't know its stolen til 5hrs later and its used to rob someone during that time, then I get home a cop is standing at my door.

Also, I live in a crappy neighborhood as it is. Its the main reason I got it. Home protection. I would hate to get home and walk into a house where the guy has my gun and I just have to let him shoot me and/or take everything in my house. I got my fiance one as well for times she's at home by herself and im at work at night.

We`re looking at moving out soon as possible. But have to have money and credit for that. Plus its fun to go to the range and test out how accurate you can be. Lol.

Comment

Ad when I said he has a conceal permit in MD I meant VA, sorry with the confusion.

Comment

Ad when I said he has a conceal permit in MD I meant VA, sorry with the confusion.
                No confusion at all homie. And all that I said is what I tell everyone that ask me why I carry. I'm not one to just say "because its my right". But it becomes a responsibility doing so.you become responsible for the people around you. It helps you be more aware of your surroundings. Who's behind you in line. Who else is carrying.

The only thing that no one should ever do is start seeing everyone around them as a threat. Lol

Comment

No confusion at all homie. And all that I said is what I tell everyone that ask me why I carry. I'm not one to just say "because its my right". But it becomes a responsibility doing so.you become responsible for the people around you. It helps you be more aware of your surroundings. Who's behind you in line. Who else is carrying.

The only thing that no one should ever do is start seeing everyone around them as a threat. Lol
                  I am a gun enthusiast I have yet to get my concealed permit because I am mostly deaf and worry I won't be able to hear the instructor in class.

With that said I grew up in backwoods of Mississippi hunting and fishing and it was not uncommon to see even an 8 year old with a pistol strapped to his side going into the woods. It was a way of life. When my family moved to Florida when I was 14 my father sold most of our hunting guns and gave our pistols to my uncle so I have been without a gun of my own for 16 years. I was planning on picking up a pistol this year but we moved in with my wife's grandfather who is going through dementia/Alzheimer's/renal failure so I had to put off getting a gun in the house until after he passes.

Sorry from rambling on but yeah the point I was getting to is no matter your reason for carrying; protection, rights, way of life, etc. As long as your responsible and follow the laws no one should be able to question your rights.

Unfortunately, from what I can find MD is one of the only states still extremely against any type of carry permit for civilians.

I did find this though which may help ... Persons without Maryland permits: A traveler without a Maryland permit may not carry a handgun on foot or in a vehicle in a loaded or readily accessible manner. But he may transport an unloaded handgun in a secure case if he is traveling to a recognized shooting competition, bonafide gun show, hunting exercise, or some other gun-related event. Magazines may remain loaded while in a vehicle as long they are not attached to, or inserted into, any handgun. Travelers passing through the state may transport inaccessible handguns even if they are not traveling to one of these events as long as the weapons are unloaded, cased and, either stowed in the trunk, or locked in a case if the vehicle has no trunk.

Comment

Maryland is one of the shittiest states to practice any constitutional right.

Stay away if you can.
                    14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

thanks Tricked. i called the MD trooper office and talked to the commander. he told me i have to keep the gun and ammo separate. ugh...gun in the trunk and mags up front. he didnt seem to happy about the current laws or the new ones they're about to come up with either. he even said they were stupid. which it is.

another reason i hate MD....

Comment

thanks Tricked. i called the MD trooper office and talked to the commander. he told me i have to keep the gun and ammo separate. ugh...gun in the trunk and mags up front. he didnt seem to happy about the current laws or the new ones they're about to come up with either. he even said they were stupid. which it is.

another reason i hate MD....
                        Good luck with your trip and I hope all goes well with helping your dad move.

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro View Post
                          Maryland is one of the shittiest states to practice any constitutional right.

Stay away if you can.
                          lol

I love it here, honestly i find it very hard to want to move anywhere else.

Comment

lol

I love it here, honestly i find it very hard to want to move anywhere else.
                            After living in a few different states and countries, I can reliably say that Maryland is one of the shittier places to live.

High cost of living, shitty drivers, awful laws, and high crime rate (first state I've ever been robbed in).

Virginia is better than Maryland is just about every way.
                            14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

We`re looking at moving out soon as possible. But have to have money and credit for that. Plus its fun to go to the range and test out how accurate you can be. Lol.

You might be one of the first gun owners I've talked to who has been so honest. And its good that you realize your need for a gun would be lessened (but not eliminated) by leaving your neighborhood, AND that you are taking steps to GTFO. Good luck man

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X