Tesla vs CB7: Tesla Model S Driver Veers Into Oncoming Traffic, Kills Two

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tesla vs CB7: Tesla Model S Driver Veers Into Oncoming Traffic, Kills Two

Early this morning, a Tesla Model S was involved in a head-on collision with a Honda Accord in Laguna Beach, California. The occupants of the Accord were declared dead at the scene and the Tesla driver escaped with minor injuries.
    Link to article

As much as I love the Tesla, they are made like bricks and quite scary that the guy walked away from this. I know the Accord is old, but whats everyone's thoughts on this?

Shit happens
    Originally posted by deevergote
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
      Shit happens
      Lol.
      Ive seen one Model S in my city, and if I ever see it coming at me Im getting the fuck out of the way.

This one went through a wall.

Comment

That's amazing.

I want a Tesla now.
        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

I have doubts on the fact that it was a Tesla having anything to do with the damage caused..

Crash pretty much any modern car into a CB7 and you will have similar

I also doubt the battery was a factor... They are so low in the S they probably would go under the accord rebar and the rest of the car took out the Accord

Yeah the Tesla weighs over 4500lbs , but many full size lux cars weight 4k+

EXAMPLE a specd 5 series is like 4k lbs.... A pilot is 4.5k lbs

I bet if you crashed the Tesla into a 2013 Accord the driver would of been in the same near condition of the Tesla driver
          Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 04-02-2013, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I've seen a lot of Tessa's driving around where I live and truck loads full of them daily. It's crazy how that accord ended up after a collision with a car with no engine.

CALI LIFE STYLE
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=145883

Comment

Originally posted by jhoff_cb7 View Post
              whats everyone's thoughts on this?
              WRONG KID DIED! (Walk Hard)

I want reinforcement.

Comment

The location of this accident isn't too far from me.

Originally posted by ChIoVnIdCa View Post
                I have doubts on the fact that it was a Tesla having anything to do with the damage caused..

Crash pretty much any modern car into a CB7 and you will have similar
                I think that is it exactly. As cars get newer the standards for safety keep on increasing (also why they get larger and heavier).

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
                  WRONG KID DIED! (Walk Hard)

I want reinforcement.
                  i love that movie!
                  visit vgruk

Comment

Well the tesla clearly had its rear end kick out and slammed into the front left fender/ door area of the cb7 with its front. It didn't smash right into the front

Comment

Geez...

my condolences to the family of the owner of the Accord.

Comment

hybrids Id imagine have to be stronger than the average car, because of the battery packs cant be allowed to leak in a crash. plus its got more mass in general.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                        01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                        93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                        93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf View Post
                          hybrids Id imagine have to be stronger than the average car, because of the battery packs cant be allowed to leak in a crash. plus its got more mass in general.
                          The batteries get damaged all the time

Most traditional hybrids use a dry cell type battery

The way the S is designed it probably has the most chance of battery damage of any electric/hybrid.. As the battery is basically the floor, it has a large surface area.

If you take a Camry gas vs a Camry hybrid they have very little differences between the rear strut towers.... (Battery location)
                          Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 04-02-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Looks like an 85kWh Tesla Model S Performance with the 21" wheels. a $100,000+ car.

Those cars are built like tanks. The CB7 unfortunately had no chance against a car like that.

4500+lbs of state of the art electric car vs. 3000lbs of 20+ yr old Honda. Losing situation for the the drivers of the Accord any way you put it.

Plus it looks like the Model S guy was speeding, judging by the skidmarks and the intensity he hit the guardrail after shredding through the accord.

A crash like that makes me want to get a 2013 Accord that passed just this type of test: small overlap.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Blk EX Coupe View Post
                              The location of this accident isn't too far from me.

I think that is it exactly. As cars get newer the standards for safety keep on increasing (also why they get larger and heavier).
                              The new Accord only weighs about 200-300lb more than a comparable CB. A 7th gen is only like 100lb more and still significantly safer.

I think this pretty much shuts down the old argument that CBs are "safe" though. Even if the two cars were the same weight the CB would have fared worse. Look how the A-pillars completely folded and pushed the engine compartment into the cabin.

Originally posted by lordoja
                              im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                              X