Solved / fix alternator whine , Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved / fix alternator whine , Finally

I would like to shared some of my experience, which might help someone.

It has been years trying to figure out my alternator whine issue. Especially on a 21 year old car. In addition, I am still a novice to car audio.

I tried everything, such as:
    • Separating the power wires
    • Placing RCAs on opposite sides.
    • Trying multiple ground locations with the paint removed.
    • Grounding the head-unit to another spot other than the OEM location
    • Removing the antenna wire completely
    • Disconnecting and unpinning any extra wires from the head-unit harness.
    • Rerouted my Big3 connections in the engine bay multiple times.
    • Tried different AMPs
    • Tried different RCAs
    • Tried different Power Cables and Ground Cables
    • Even installed a new alternator, which really needed to be replaced.

The main culprit was my head-unit.The fix was the RCA connections shielding not being grounded. I tried the pioneer fix (wire wrap) and it worked except it grounds to my amp. It was not grounding to my head-unit.

So I came across BCAE1 (http://bcae1.com/images/rca/temporar...eldrepair.html) and discovered that there is a second fuse inside the head-unit just like the pioneer. It has nothing to do with the fuse on the outside of the head-unit either. The fuse on the outside is perfectly fine.

So I completely disassemble the head-unit, and shined a light on the circuit board. I took a good look near the RCAs, focusing on the ground connections.After a few minutes, I found a burnt trace which in my case is the internal fuse.

Luckily, I have only 1 internal fuse. I went with BCAE1 suggestion and installed a real fuse. I chose a 1 AMP slow blow fuse inline with a jumper wire, and solder them in.

Finally, I hooked everything back up and the alternator whine is long gone, and the RCAs are grounded to the head-unit. Finally, after so many years

So if you tried everything, and feel comfortable with electronics, check your Head-unit's RCA ground and internal fuse.

Head-unit is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X492 ( 5 year old Head unit)
    Last edited by Qiko; 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM.
    92 DX Sedan - Auto

good job bro!! nice write up
    <-- MRT

Comment

Good to know. I would of never thought of that.

Comment

Thx, I hope this would be useful.
        92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

The way to prevent this is never have 12v on the amp without a proper ground while the rcas are connected.. If you do it, it grounds through the rca and pops that fuse.

Comment

Great Tip ChIoVnIdCa!
            92 DX Sedan - Auto

Comment

This may not be true, but I've been told before if you hear your cars electrical through your stereo you can install resistor spark plugs and that will go away too. Not tested, just what I've heard.

Comment

Working...
              X