Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

CyborgGT: Mild H22A Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about the rsx, ive been following the h build really enjoying it as im semi "building/restoring" an h23 myself. Look forward to when things get settled and you can continue.

Comment

Now that it's warm out again, I got back to the project I started in the fall, which is polishing my intake manifold. Got a decent amount done at 180 grit before running out of sanding discs (they keep fraying at the edges because of all the tight spaces). It's so tedious, but I am so enjoying this!

Should be ordering coilovers for the RSX next weekend, then the cheaper stuff the car needs will come next month: front sway endlinks, axles, and some junkyard LCAs so I can install my poly bushings without downtime on the car - one of mine is slightly twisted anyway... wheel spacers if budget permits. Hopefully that finishes off the RSX so I can get back to looking for a wagon...
      Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-05-2016, 10:28 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Mmm... currently talking to someone about having an emblem custom-made for this wagon. It will need something to let people know it's special but I can't very well commit the crime of putting a Type-R badge on there. Red-badge-inspired, OEM design laguage, but completely unique. Stay tuned...

It's not engine related, but I've been following this guy's custom aero work on his RSX and he's got serious talent. After he posted a custom DC5 badge he did for fun that looked pretty well done, I had to throw this idea at him that I'd dreamt up a while back. He sounds willing.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-28-2016, 04:47 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Recent additions...

Got the trans mount without powdercoating so I can spray it along with my trans. And now that ESP came out with this awesome rear bracket, I can ditch my RSX-S manifold for an Si RBC!

Been doing maintenance on the RSX lately and had to order rear brake pads. As with most things, I go through ImportRP... the pads didn't cost enough to qualify for free shipping, so in thinking long term, I bumped up the order with a 2.5IDx18" Vibrant resonator for the H. I still have the Ultra Quiet resonator I ordered forever ago laying around; I'll be experimenting with sound and fitment. Interesting story with the UQ; a friend stuck it up to the end of his old F150 a while back, just by hand, no welding or anything, just to see what would happen. Serious decrease in volume on that loud truck, it was pretty surprising. This new res having a thinner wall of absorbtion material and being longer, I'm expecting (hoping for) a different tone.

RSX will be paid off next month though. I've probably said this a few times now, but I can even more confidently put "full focus" back into this build real soon. The new argument I've been having wih myself is the chassis to buy. It's been so long since I've thought about it, but I forgot that the later CBs are coming up on 25 years old. Legal to import. Maybe it would be a novelty, it would certainly be more expensive, but the idea of driving a RHD car is cool to me. So I'll spend some more time thinking on that move.
          Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-27-2016, 11:39 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            Mmm... currently talking to someone about having an emblem custom-made for this wagon. It will need something to let people know it's special but I can't very well commit the crime of putting a Type-R badge on there. Red-badge-inspired, OEM design laguage, but completely unique. Stay tuned...

It's not engine related, but I've been following this guy's custom aero work on his RSX and he's got serious talent. After he posted a custom DC5 badge he did for fun that looked pretty well done, I had to throw this idea at him that I'd dreamt up a while back. He sounds willing.
            I had ordered a Euro-R badge, USPS tracking-confirmed as delivered to my locked community mailbox, but I never received it. Set up a case with eBay, told them the story, and they decided to not refund me. $35 for a fucking car emblem gone. What's the point of offering a refund for situations like this if you're not going to help the customer not get screwed when it's out of their hands?!

The point of getting an OEM Euro-R badge was to send to my guy so that he can make my custom emblem as factory-looking as possible. The whole point of this badge is to look like I have a trim level that Honda themselves created, so I'm a bit pissed. Yeah, I know that $35 isn't a big deal, but at the same time it's a lot to just throw in the trash. I'm not going to order another Euro-R just to have spent $70 on one emblem... or no emblem, for that matter, if #2 were to get lost in transit.

But we are going ahead with this project anyway, using photos off the internet (gotta thank Ronald_Type-R here, his return and perfect dead-on shot of the rear emblems at this time were a very happy coincidence, haha! One of the clearest views on the net, it seems) and the height measurement I took of the '98-02 "Accord" badge I'm teaming with this. We're taking the first step now, and he's going to put together a rendering to see what I think and make sure we're on the same page. There's no reason to keep this secret until the end; I won't give it away now, but I'll post the progress here as it happens. I think it's cool and creative, and that other Honda die-hards will appreciate it. If this works out, I'd like the design to be made into a sticker for the TL-S brake calipers I'm going to attempt to retrofit, and get it stitched into the backs of whatever seats I end up putting in the wagon. Stay tuned...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Really starting to hate how distracted I let myself get with other projects. I was THIS close to pulling the trigger on more comfortable seats for the RSX today, and before that I was talking to someone about modified TL-S calipers for my 5-lug conversion, but then in my boredom last night (I work overnight and it was my night off; I keep my sleep schedule by watching movies or gaming past midnight, lol) I got to thinking. I need to get this back in line. With this build still being in the fairly early stages, it's not as motivating when I have a running car to mess with, so I've only been picking away at the H. If I can go all-out for the rest of this year, it'll allow me to really start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, and then from there get me to finish it.

So I placed orders through Real St and ImportRP last night...

*ED. - actual photo

- Vibrant 2.5" to 3" transition (not in photo... forgot this thing twice, as you'll see in the post below)
              - Vibrant Street Power, 3" inlet

My future will be full of experimenting with different mufflers and resonators until I find the right sound but in starting out, I had two requirements: oval body with lots of sound absorption material, and to have tips with exactly the right look. There are a handful of Ferrari signature styling cues I want to try to pull off on this car, and that includes dual tips without too much, if any, angle on the cut.

Those mark the completion of the exhaust system. I have an OEM downpipe to do the collector mod to, but am interested in finding out if an aftermarket dp from maybe DC or Megan will bolt up to stock primaries (i.e. my Spoons). If you have one to sell, even if it's a junkyard find that's been cut at the flex pipe, let me know!

The head is the new focus. I've got parts coming from three stores altogether, and I got the first two sources out of the way...

- Skunk2 spring bases
              - Skunk2 cam seal... yeah, I'm putting effort into this engine's looks. The main feature of the top end is the Skunk2 cams, so I'm making it known
              - Supertech bronze valve guides
              - Supertech valve seals
              - "Skunk2 Inside" VTEC solenoid cap

Next up: visiting JHPUSA for valves, keepers, cams, and cam gears.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-17-2016, 10:15 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

And the completed exhaust system. Forgot to add the 2.5"-to-3" expansion in the photos, but from the block out:

> Spoon Sports header primaries
                > EGT sensor bung will be welded to cyl. #3, just off the head flange
                > OEM downpipe (so far; like I said, if you've got an aftermarket dp that might bolt to stock primaries that you're looking to get rid of, let me know!)
                > Vibrant 2.5" merge collector
                > Vibrant 2.5" flex pipe
                > Vibrant bungs for factory O2 sensor and wideband A/F gauge sensor; placement to be determined on-car
                > Summit 2.5" V-band clamp #1
                > Catco 2.5" cat
                > Summit 2.5" V-band clamp #2

> The middle section is where some experimentation will be going on, looking for that perfect sound. At the moment, I have two 2.5" Vibrant resonators to try: their standard bottle res, and their Ultra Quiet. If neither is to my taste, I'll start by finding a longer bottle resonator, and go from there.

> Summit Racing 2.5" V-band clamp #3
                > Vibrant 2.5" to 3" pipe diameter expansion
                > Kteller 3" mandrel-bent tubing
                > Vibrant Street Power dual-tip muffler (I really hope I can make the exhaust sound nice with this on, it is such a beautiful piece!)

Everything is stainless, and everything will be polished, all in keeping with my desire for longevity of this build.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I guess this is the unveiling of my emblem design

The guy doing this for me has been busy, and I have no reason to rush him, so I'm being patient. But he just sent me a 2D concept for my opinion, and I think he got it dead on.

The idea behind this is to take Honda's OEM "Euro-R" and use it to inspire my own, one-off trim level. With this project car being a wagon, and with the wagons being badged as "Aero Deck" in Europe, I combined the two to create the "Aero-R." Looking at the details the font obviously had to be right to capture the OEM feel, but notice that while the letters of "Euro" are all the same size, only the "E" is capitalized while the rest are lowercase. It can get tricky trying to imagine two new letter shapes that don't exactly exist with so little to go off of, but I love what he's come up with.

Stealing an image off Google for a side-by-side...

What do you guys think?
                  Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-31-2018, 08:14 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I guess this is the unveiling of my emblem design

The guy doing this for me has been busy, and I have no reason to rush him, so I'm being patient. But he just sent me a 2D concept for my opinion, and I think he got it dead on.

The idea behind this is to take Honda's OEM "Euro-R" and use it to inspire my own, one-off trim level. With this project car being a wagon, and with the wagons being badged as "Aerodecks" in Europe, I combined the two to create the "Aero-R." Looking at the details the font obviously had to be right to capture the OEM feel, but notice that while the letters of "Euro" are all the same size, only the "E" is capitalized while the rest are lowercase. It can get tricky trying to imagine two new letter shapes that don't exactly exist with so little to go off of, but I love what he's come up with.

Stealing an image off Google for a side-by-side...

What do you guys think?

looks really close. the bottom line of the e should be the same thickness as the bottom round of the o

maybe it is the same thickness, but my eyes catch something there. not sure what it is....

otherwise looks fantastic, great idea!
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I did ask if he could draw up an 'e' with equal horizontals, even though that would mean raising the horizontal on the 'A' to match, and I'm afraid that would look weird as well. But, as is, I still really like it.

*ED. - heard back from him...

The reason the e is done that way, is because I literally traced over the Euro R emblem. So the thickness of the top part of the e is the same as the r, which is the same as the o.. which means all have to change. But thats a good point- I think it will look much cleaner that way.
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-17-2016, 10:18 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Adjusted:

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Adjusted:

perfect totally corrected what my eyes were seeing

love it

maybe the artist could add in the curvature to the A that is present in the e in euro. see how the left edge is curved a bit?
                          Originally posted by wed3k
                          im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Yeah, that probably wouldn't look bad at all. Not sure I'd want the entire "Aero" section looking like it was carved out of one large oval though.

I sent him the dimensions I want it, so it should be going to 3D print very soon. I'm matching it to the 98-02 "Accord" badge I'll be pairing it with. 3mm thick, and the "Aero" letters 15mm tall with the size of the 'R' and the badge as a whole scaled up proportionately. I also bought that OEM ITR red H badge off of Tommi to top all this off.
                            Last edited by CyborgGT; 10-18-2016, 06:44 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

It's moved on to 3D. Just going off of internet photos, I guess he saw a step in the 'R'. I'm pretty sure it's just a slight indentation to gap the chrome and red areas, and I told him so, so we'll see how he fixes that. But anyway, he was actually able to incorporate the curvature of the face of the emblem, which I am absolutely loving. 3D printing is more precise than I thought! I was just expecting to get a flat block of letters, so very cool. Also notice that the bridge between the 'A' and 'e' was moved from the middle to the bottom. Looks much better.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Show me something
                                "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
                                X