owequitit : 2013 Accord EX-L V6 6-Speed Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
    Yea that is pretty much what I have heard. I really can only imagine as I have the 4CYL CVT, and when I shift it into Sport mode, it is pretty surprising how well it accelerates and I feel like this car has a pretty strong curve like you said. Especially when im in 2nd gear(ish) and I slam on it. Good god does it sound good and I am 100% OEM.

I can only imagine how fast the v6 gets up and how well it sounds without mods.

The brakes suck ass. If you are ever froggy, go on over to the 9th Gen FB group. There are plenty of posts about how the brakes are straight trash on this car(all trims apparently)

I know when I am doing 60ish and I have to come to a quick stop(not locking up), It shudders pretty bad. I guess these rotors are trash and warp easily. I can't wait to change everything out.

You thinking you will upgrade size or just quality?

Handling is definitely great. I could probably use a rear sway as well. It is stiff up front and definitely nose heavy at times, but I have not once worried about losing it when I have participated in spirited driving.

The interior is the best I have had. I mean my 93 SE was plush, Leather, wood grain trim, but this Accord is showing how Honda is pushing to be on par with a lot of the nicer models available from other makes.

I do dislike the cheap shiny trim but I pretty much love everything else. Only issue I have had with my interior, is the black paint chipping off the cruise button and the forward button on the steering wheel.

The only other complaints I have found in my car is -

1. CVT seems to shudder when coming to a stop, mostly slow stops like stop signs etc. I had an update done last time it was serviced, and there is a update for the 2015-2016 CVT but I guess the 2013-2014 is not included in that.

2. The Imid is subpar. I don't know if any auto manufacturer has gotten it right but I know C&D seems to rate other makes over Honda for simplicity and ease of use. My major gripe with the infotainment system is that long text gets cut off, as opposed to scrolling, which has been around for like 15 years lol. Also I feel that the system could benefit from more features. I think its silly that you can control HVAC unless you have the NAV system and things like that. I guess its their way of luring people over.

3. Ive gotten to really like the lanewatch so much so that I wish I had a way to trigger the backup camera on command like you can lanewatch. its not often but once in a while I would like to glance behind me without having to put the car in reverse. Its a small gripe and its not like putting it in reverse is difficult but I like the manual control of the lanewatch and Im sure it could be added in some how some way.

Other than that, she drives great still. I am at 36k miles and all ive done is change oil and cabin filter. I am about to change my trans oil and check lines and hoses. Not sure if she needs much else. I need to check the brake diameter and see if I should upgrade my rotors/pads or if I can get away with another season.

I consistently get about 30-33 MPG. I do mostly rural driving, 40-60mph. I have been able to pull around 560 miles on a single tank.

What tires did yours come with?

I love that this tire is wider than any of the cars I have had previously. I like the way it looks and the handling again has been really good. I have the OEM tires still and they have been really good. Still have plenty of tread left and I picked the car up last August!
    Interesting note about the brakes on these.

The rotors aren't actually trash. They are a little small, but the biggest cause is the brake pads. When they get hot, they leave deposits on the rotor surface, which causes the shimmy problem. If you think about it, thousandths of an inch of unevenness make all the difference, so the pad deposits would be capable of that.

That said, there are a lot of road racers that will keep stock Honda rotors and upgrade to better pads and the problem not only doesn't occur anymore, but it can actually clean the old rotor if they are aggressive enough. The dealer is obviously going to only stick to OEM stuff, so they just machine the rotors and put new pads on, which cause the problem to recur again down the road. So people who are not informed about it just assume that it is the rotors warping. The pads simply aren't designed for heat capacity, they are designed for dustless, quiet driving at all costs. However, I can verify that this was a recurring problem on both of our 7th gen Accords, and our 8th gen. I don't know if it has occurred on either of our 9th gens, but I am pretty sure it hasn't happened on the sedan we bought new.

The Si's would do the same thing if you got the brakes hot enough, but I typically was more of a momentum driver that didn't ride the brakes as hard (shouldn't be driving that stupid on public roads anyway), so I never had a problem.
    The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

The rear braking issue was so bad that Honda had to update their pad design and go through a class action lawsuit. My 8th gen shakes so bad at highway speeds. It's not confidence inspiring at all. Luckily Autozone was having a labor day sale...and I was able to pick up some Brembo blanks and the updated rear pads

I'm more curious about the 9th gen now...I may have to check one out.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        The rear braking issue was so bad that Honda had to update their pad design and go through a class action lawsuit. My 8th gen shakes so bad at highway speeds. It's not confidence inspiring at all. Luckily Autozone was having a labor day sale...and I was able to pick up some Brembo blanks and the updated rear pads

I'm more curious about the 9th gen now...I may have to check one out.
        The 6MT coupes from both gens are pretty similar acceleration wise, but the 9th gen is a much better built car with a lot of really nice features, a better driving experience, and IMO, better styling. Honda made a lot of forward strides with the 9th gen Accord, which was a plus given the decades of quality decreases they saw. The 9th gen also seems to suffer from a lot fewer build quality issues, squeaks and rattles, and other various issues.

I hope it is a trend that continues.

Comment

Well that definitely makes sense about it being pad deposits over the actual rotors being trash. I was not speaking from first hand experience, I must admit. My car does have a shimmy when slowing from highway speeds, but I am not one to be hard on the brakes(at least imo).

I feel like it was that way already when I bought it. (got it with 18k miles and did not notice it on the test drive)

Hard to tell, could have been me.

If I have to brake hard like that it is usually driving 70 or 80 on the freeway and traffic builds or someone jumps in my lane and I have to go from 80 to 5o or so. That takes a lot of braking power in a small amount of time so that would be enough presumably to leave deposits behind.

The only other manufacture defect I have that I forgot to mention is a crappy drivers door seal which produces a rushing sound at high speeds. I could probably fill the crevices with silicone but I want to see what Honda says first.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            Who makes the OEM branded wheel locks? Toyota's TRD is McGard.

The drive-by-wire delay issue can be aggravating. I notice that it's very present on the Tacoma and it's tough if you're driving more aggressively for whatever reason.

HID is so key, although honestly, some of the modern head lamps are almost as good as earlier HID setups. As you saw, I have a set in the Vette and they are 55w (vs the more standard 35w units due to the higher voltage requirement for the pop up assemblies to work correctly) and they are the equivalent of daylight. However, my old 2013 Tacoma had amazing head lamps and they were simple OEM bulbs with reflectors, so I think it's more than possible to have good headlights without going projector HID.

Do you have any leftover Si parts that can be sold to fund mods for the new one? I have a few remaining STi / 2G Tacoma parts I'm working on moving so I can put some money into the new vehicles.
            I am definitely on the fence about the HID thing. Retrofit source sells both refit kits for HID bulbs and a specific projector swap for these cars. The bulb route would be easier, and honestly, the stock output and cut off is so good I probably wouldn't know the difference. Not to mention that their kit refits it to bi-xenon, which I don't really want/need. But they would look better as the yellowish halogens looks a little weird with the LED running lights. Of course then I would also have to upgrade the fogs!

The only thing I have to sell from the Civic is the Flashpro. Had I known I was going to trade it, I would have put the stock bulbs back in (it had HID bulbs and LED interior lights. Other than that, there weren't really any mods except a Progress rear sway to sell. I had done the trunk liner upgrade from 2006-2007, a Strut King dead pedal cover, and some CF overlay parts on the steering wheel and shifter plate. Other than that, it was pretty much all stock. I might have been able to get a few bucks from the sway bar, but meh.

I might just keep this one stock and drive it. I always want to mod them. In fact, one selling factor for the Civic is that I was going to want to put a Kraftwerks kit on (I just can't help myself).

This one will probably get a sway bar, eventual FlashPro, and some lighting upgrades. Don't know if I really want to go further than that, even though it sounds fantastic with mild exhaust and intake upgrades.

Comment

Honestly, I don't think a full retro is necessary on these.

There are a few guys who have done them but also because they wanted to upgrade the DRL at the same time.

Just as many, if not more, have just gone the kit route and are more than happy with their output etc.

I would like to try mine again, but with a really good kit.

You thinking about any suspension upgrades?
              Last edited by Ralphie; 09-10-2016, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                Honestly, I don't think a full retro is necessary on these.

There are a few guys who have done them but also because they wanted to upgrade the DRL at the same time.

Just as many, if not more, have just gone the kit route and are more than happy with their output etc.

I would like to try mine again, but with a really good kit.

You thinking about any suspension upgrades?
                Yeah, I was kind of thinking that I don't really need to do the kit. I wish I had taken the HID's out of the Civic, as I might have only needed to replace the bulbs. I can never keep track of what's what because they just HAD to change 9006 to whatever H** code it is. Silliness.

As for suspension upgrades, right now it is surprisingly good and it rides pretty nice. If I do anything, it will probably just be a rear sway bar upgrade. Only about $150 and worth its weight in gold. They look good lowered, but I am just too damn old to deal with the bullshit anymore! Plus, Texas roads are generally shit and I don't want to have to worry about expansion joints, railroad crossings, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                  Yeah, I was kind of thinking that I don't really need to do the kit. I wish I had taken the HID's out of the Civic, as I might have only needed to replace the bulbs. I can never keep track of what's what because they just HAD to change 9006 to whatever H** code it is. Silliness.

As for suspension upgrades, right now it is surprisingly good and it rides pretty nice. If I do anything, it will probably just be a rear sway bar upgrade. Only about $150 and worth its weight in gold. They look good lowered, but I am just too damn old to deal with the bullshit anymore! Plus, Texas roads are generally shit and I don't want to have to worry about expansion joints, railroad crossings, etc.
                  LOL I had a feeling you were going to say that the lowering game is old bs lol.

I feel the same way dude, no lie. I love the way they look lowered but its just such a pain in the ass dealing with everything that goes with it.

I believe the lows are H11 and the highs are 9005.

I swapped out the wedge bulb for the parking light strip today.

Threw in a 6k LED.
                  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=8afd7006d4

Im happy. Looks much better and I like the contrast with the fogs.
                  Last edited by Ralphie; 09-11-2016, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Looks great! I wasn't sure I was going to like the red, as there aren't many red cars that I really like... but that works. Especially with the black interior!

How much power is the FlashPro likely to give you?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Looks great! I wasn't sure I was going to like the red, as there aren't many red cars that I really like... but that works. Especially with the black interior!

How much power is the FlashPro likely to give you?
                      According to their website, it gains about 6HP and 5 lb-ft when stock with low octane gas.

With premium (91 oct) and a short ram, it gained like 15HP and 15 lb-ft. But, if it is like the Civic, I think there would be pretty big increase in responsiveness and elimination of the weird throttle delay issues that plague almost all modern cars.

I think it was a lot more beneficial to the Civic because it gave 12-15HP through the middle of the power band, but this car doesn't really need a lot of extra thrust, just smoother throttle response. I have also noticed that if you don't time it right, it will rev up to ~2K when the clutch is pressed in, which is really weird...

Comment

Not bad. Realistic expectations.

Comment

So no J-pipe or PCDs in your future?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                            So no J-pipe or PCDs in your future?
                            At this point, no. Texas has to pass inspection, and I don't really want to have to be installing/uninstalling shit all the time. I thought about a mild exhaust just because it sounds good, but we will see.

For now I just want to eventually add a few accessories, detail it, and drive it.

It honestly doesn't need much power. It is a total sleeper and has already pissed a number of douchebags off in traffic who were driving like A-holes. Had a turbo Sonata today that was plastered to my rear bumper. Blew him off like it was nothing. Did a hard 3rd gear pull and then a mild 4th gear pull (didn't redline either) and he was gone. He flew by me at about 100MPH 10 minutes later when he got himself through traffic.

Comment

I love passing people over lol.

Just this morning I was driving into work and was behind a Mercedes SUV(not sure which one, the nice looking one, not the hideous truck)

We both turned right and a quarter mile down the road it goes one lane. Well he was going slow in the left so I got in the right and tried to pass him. Of course I can sense he is speeding up because Im not passing him anymore lol.

I gunned it(not even in sport mode) and bye bye! I don't think he was expecting it, honestly, because I am sure properly lined up hed take me but I can only imagine the J series as my little baby K is quite spritely.

Comment

Welcome to the V6 6 speed side!

I've done almost all bolt ons to the engine if you have any questions on anything.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
                                1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
                                1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
                                2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

Working...
                                X