Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Is a cold air intake better than the stock intake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meh. The restriction isn't in the air box, it's in the throttle body & intake manifold. I say use that money towards an H23 manifold with a matched 68/70mm throttle body. Even then, the stock air box will probably flow well enough.

Whale penis ftw. With a proper heat shield of course. Maybe one made out of a mini keg.

Comment

I definitely would go with the shortram or with the cold-air. Me myself I would go with the cold-air it looks nice. Honestly you don't really have to worry about the cold air sucking up water unless you that deep in the water im talking straight submerged. If your that bold enough o drive that deep in water you deserve to get hydrolocked.

A short-ram intake really isnt that bad at all it does the job too. The only difference I noticed is with the exhaust between 2.25 and the 2.50 diameter exhaust. I prefer the 2.25 because it has more downlow and mid-range. Remember thats for allmotor applications not for turbo and unless your doing highway runs your gonna need all the help one can get.

Comment

One thing no one ever seems to talk about is tuned length vs just throwing a length of tubing in there. Some people seem to think that intake resonance tuning is only essential from the throttle body inward. Well Honda and other OEM engineers spend a lot of time tuning the intake from the throttle body out as well. Not just for power but noise as well. Just take a listen to the sound of a 5.0L Mustang's stock intake system..... Ford spent a lot of time developing the resonance tuning on that bad boy!

CAI or Short ram can end up with very similar results. If you pay attention to the tubing diameter and length, along with filter area, anything can be achieved.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 09-16-2016, 11:26 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

In my experience with most cars I find that the pros is the initial install you feel a good boost but over time it dies off. But at the same time the sound is nice though even though it is very subtle. But I think that the K & N is nice for the price and good for a beginning.

Honda Accord 91 ~ F22A1 ~ Mindy ~

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            I'd be curious to see that as well. Dyno before and after, to see what has been recovered. With 25 years of wear on them, I'm sure many of these engines are quite tired! Impressive how well so many of them still run, despite that.
            I bet many of the stock F22A1 engines on this forum are making less than 100whp.
            I know I am a little late to the game of this conversation, but in high school I took an auto tech class, we dyno'd my car and it was just under 100 whp. that was probably 8 years ago. if I can ever get the money I will do before and after rebuild dynos.

Comment

i would recommend the k&n reusable stock air box filter as the the quicker the air flows in the quicker it needs to flow out which means you would also need to think about headers and exhaust mods. i was going to spend about 6-700 on my intake and exhaust systems but i live in cali where afterward i would never pass a smog again...the k&n filter are great unless you plan on tracking your car and forget about street legality then again i dont know where you are and how the emissions requirements are, i just installed the k&n and i can feel the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuage View Post
                i would recommend the k&n reusable stock air box filter as the the quicker the air flows in the quicker it needs to flow out which means you would also need to think about headers and exhaust mods. i was going to spend about 6-700 on my intake and exhaust systems but i live in cali where afterward i would never pass a smog again...the k&n filter are great unless you plan on tracking your car and forget about street legality then again i dont know where you are and how the emissions requirements are, i just installed the k&n and i can feel the difference.
                That's not true about California. However, if you are going to modify intake or exhaust, then you will need to purchase CARB exempt products.

I believe AEM makes CARB exempt intakes for the cb7. Also, I think it's the DC Headers that are CARB exempt. As long as your car is running right, you will pass SMOG.

Either way, there are options for California cb7tuners when modifying intake and exhaust.

Comment

Indeed. Many CARB exempt products are pricey, too. The AEM intake is indeed CARB exempt, and it carries a pricetag nearly double that of a generic equal. California has it rough, especially since there is very little difference between an AEM intake and a generic pipe (a tuned tube may have some effect, but it's so small that no average tuner would ever notice it... certainly not on a 25 year old 100,000+ mile engine!)

Comment

Working...
                  X