Alternator upgrade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator upgrade.

Sup, I have a 91 Accord. Planning on doing some competition subs. Sundown ZV4S precisely on a soundsteam 3000.d (1ohm x 2,500watts). I know for a fact that I need an alternator upgrade. Car charges at 13.8v on an 80amp alt (fluctuates when i turn on the brights). I plan on going to a 170-200amp alt. With a separate 14v bank in the trunk (2X xs power batteries).

My question is: should I buy a step down module for my 12v battery and honda internals, or can i wire them directly to my new alt without an issue....?? (9/10 I will have a bank charger as well.)
    F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Step down recommended. I have many car guru's who claim upgrading the alternator is always a bad thing for the car as the the components involved were never meant to deal with that kind of amperage. But if you are not getting a charge then an upgrade is needed. The other problem would be finding an alternator housing that can take the beefy internals, but I'm assuming you have this figured out already.

Don't forget to fuse for the wire you have before amperage. What is the voltage on the battery with everything turned on and cranked up now??

Comment

Just to clarify, you are going to run an upgraded alt with a separate 14v pack strictly for the amps? The bank charger is a separate charging unit entirely?

It's fine to connect an upgraded alt as long as it's spec'd for a 12v system.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        Just to clarify, you are going to run an upgraded alt with a separate 14v pack strictly for the amps? The bank charger is a separate charging unit entirely?

It's fine to connect an upgraded alt as long as it's spec'd for a 12v system.
        Yes, i will have a separate bank in the back, the charger is just to keep the batteries fresh over night...yea my new alternator is designed for 12v...

91' Accord Project

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
          Step down recommended. I have many car guru's who claim upgrading the alternator is always a bad thing for the car as the the components involved were never meant to deal with that kind of amperage. But if you are not getting a charge then an upgrade is needed. The other problem would be finding an alternator housing that can take the beefy internals, but I'm assuming you have this figured out already.

Don't forget to fuse for the wire you have before amperage. What is the voltage on the battery with everything turned on and cranked up now??

What do you mean a housing to handle the beefy internals?? I am fusing the 2/0 gauge going back to the bank...why should i fuse the line going to my 12v battery?

91' Accord Project

Comment

I snagged one of these out of a limo when i worked at a salvage yard, ill be putting it to use once I get my class D lanzar fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by DGOfTheCentury View Post
              What do you mean a housing to handle the beefy internals?? I am fusing the 2/0 gauge going back to the bank...why should i fuse the line going to my 12v battery?
              120-200 amp alternators are usually normal OEM alternators that are taken apart and add more wire inside to allow more amperage. From what I read and know most who have asked a shop to do this advise that it is not possible to do on a CB7 OEM alternator as there is not enough room in the housing for the extra wire. I would even suspect that most ebay high output alternators are not even high output.

The fuse I mentioned you have; a fuse between the bank and near the power source as possible.

I'm going to assume by the system setup you know all of this already but just trying to help.

Comment

Working...
              X